Follow

It's been 4 months since Mom passed away and I feel like I've been climbing a mountain, heading down part way and then seeing another uphill climb. I think I'm feeling better, but then I see the most mundane thing that reminds me of her and I am back at square one.
I am taking time to be completely alone for a short time. I've been able to breathe a bit. It gives me space to devote my time and energy to confront the thoughts/feelings I've been stuffing down so everyone thinks I am moving along. Even with Mom gone I am still "caretaking" at the expense of myself. I didn't realize the effort to fake my demeanor for others was keeping me from feeling anything that might trigger any visible grief. It has been exhausting.
Yesterday I was able to go into the room where Mom died and look through some of the remaining items in there--mostly books and mementos. Of course, I cried, told Mom I missed her and hoped she'd forgive me for sometimes wanting her to die so I could live.
This will sound "out there" to some of you but I have encountered things at my lowest moments that make me wonder if Mom sees my pain and is trying to help. Is it coincidence that I randomly (and I mean really randomly) see or read something that stops me in my tracks? Am I so desperately looking for signs she is still the best Mom in death as she was in life?
Random things I read just opening a book to a random page:
"Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there, I did not die"
"Being kind to yourself is one of the greatest kindnesses"
"Often the hardest person to forgive is yourself"
"When the dark clouds come...keep going"
"What is your best discovery? That I'm enough as I am"
"Home isn't always a place is it"?
The randomness requires a leap of faith on my part but the number of encounters makes me wonder.

Anyway... this is where I am on my journey. My mind is quiet enough to muster the courage to look at a photo of Mom, to touch some of her things and sit in my grief without worrying about others. I know it will change when my "alone time" ends but I thought I'd share this time and place with all of you, who have been there and helped me so much.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My heart goes out to you. My dear mother died in January 2022. I still have her sheets and comforter on her hospital bed and when I am ready I will give away her bed to an elder in need. What helped me the most during the last six months was looking at her photos and I have hundreds. I post them on Facebook and look at them when I am sad. We went to the beach almost every day since May. I found it helped me deal with my mom's passing. I was very close to her and still grieving, but it is getting a little better every day.I wear her hats some days and it makes me feel close to her. Writing your thoughts and feelings in a journal might help. I bike ride twice a day on the rail trail and then visit my church. I sometimes light a candle. I have spoken to our Deacon a few times after my mother's death and he was comforting. I think it is going to take time for both of us, but recalling the happy memories with loving thoughts and letting the tears fall may bring more strength as the days pass. I also find comfort in my faith knowing I will see my mother in the next world. She was my angel here on earth.
(2)

I'm a month into grieving for my mother. Mostly, the grief is about how we did not have a great relationship--and even if she had lived to 100, we never would have had one.

Accepting that is hard. Somedays I feel really just blue all day and wonder why and then I remember mom's gone and the grief kind of 'hits' me.

There's no right or wrong way to grieve. And no schedule, either. It just is what it is.

I brought some things from her house, and after a couple weeks found that they actually made me feel worse, so I gave some stuff to GoodWill and some I simply boxed up and will re-think them in a few months.

Her apartment is 99% clean and empty. No emotions or memories there. Her estate is almost done being executed and I am refusing my inheritance and giving it to my YB who did the lion's share of CG. I talked to an atty about how to do that correctly, so there would be no 'fuss' of any kind. (My atty was free, since it was my son :) He thinks I should take the inheritance, but I don't feel good about it. Maybe giving it all away will help me to get over the 'bluesy-blues'.

I do believe that our ancestors are still 'with us' and I think your mom is reaching out to you and helping you to know that she is happy & fine and she wants the same for you. Accept those 'random' things that you read or hear. I haven't felt anything from my mom, but I still get warm thoughts from daddy, who died 18 years ago!

Be gentle with yourself. And I will try to be gentle with MYSELF. It's easy to get caught in the sorrow--and our LO's wouldn't want us to.

((Hugs))
(1)

AD, great big warm hug!

I believe that your mom is trying to tell you she is good, your care of her was good, now it's time for you.

Yep, pretty awesome mom!
(0)

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))
(1)

hugsss!!
(1)

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're dealing with your grieving process in a healthy manner.
Just remember that everyone's grieving process is different, so you do you and what is best for you.
And I don't believe that what you're experiencing with "randomly" seeing or reading things are coincidences, but perhaps in fact is your mom reaching out from beyond or even God trying to help you on this journey.
Please continue to take care of yourself and don't try to rush the process.
(1)

When it comes to the big things in life - and we don't always know they're big until much later on - I believe there is something bigger than ourselves guiding us to where we need to go. I believe in signs and I'm glad that you're finding random things. So, keep taking those leaps of faith. Peace.
(3)

It took me about a year before I got through all of my mom's things, unless there is a pressing need there's no reason to rush. Even the tiny steps are still part of moving forward.
(1)

I wish peace, for both you and your Mother
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter