Follow

My husband and I care for my 97 year old grandfather who has dementia and myasthenia gravis. He is on hospice care, but has always surprised us with rebounding after periods of slowing down. But he's now spent most of the last couple of weeks in his bed and hasn't eaten for two days and hasn't had water for close to 48 hours, though he still gets up to go to the bathroom, or to try. He has not had his medicine for two days. I'm so surprised that he is still producing any urine (though maybe he isn't) and that he is aware enough to rise, as weak and shaky as he is. Hospice has not really given us any idea on how long he might be with us still. He seems so very frail and fragile to me, but thankfully, does not seem to be in any pain. The waiting and wondering and watching can be so tough, but I want to see him through gently.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
May God grant you peace and comfort during this difficult time. May HE give your grandfather a peaceful, pain free passing.
(1)

Hi. I’m sorry you are going through this tough time with your grandpa. Once a person begins “ transitioning” they no longer eat and then don’t crave or want water. Supposedly this prepares the body to shut down. For both of my parents with long term illnesses who went through the process of their body’s shutting down, they both stopped eating between 3-5 days of death and neither was able to drink the last 1-3 days prior to their last breaths. Neither produced urine during the time there was no water going in. The fact that your grandpa is still mobile and is still going through the motions of using the bathroom and he still has urine say to me that he isn’t ready to “go”. I’m no doctor nor expert, but if he’s still functioning, hospice should be able to guide you into helping him either continue on his journey towards the end or advise ways to hydrate him.
(2)

Hospice told me recently that once person stops taking in fluids, death usually occurs in 3-5 days. My mother in law, who passed away recently, died within 24 hours of no oral liquid intake. But she had been eating poorly for some time and had no reserves to draw on.
good luck with your grandfather.
(2)

So hard to wait for the end. Have you asked hospice if they have any idea?

97, he lived a long life. How blessed he is to have a grandchild as loving as you are. Hugs!
(2)

Sorry your grandfather is failing. But, wow, 97 is quite an accomplishment. Not many in that club.

Someone I knew that was dying on hospice also was still producing urine though not eating and drinking. Seems weird but I guess it's not all that unusual after all.

I hope he passes easily when his time comes.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter