Follow

I held firm. I have to or my Mom will think the new tradition is to spend Christmas Day with me. I haven't done that for 30 yrs.
Drove to her: Dec 22nd. My grown Kids did not want to come. They came last month-few days before T-Giving.
Brought her lunch. Cleaned. Brought her presents. 3 visits in Dec. (2+ hrs each way) Took her grocery shopping-collected trash-cleaned fridge-played Scrabble. She kept bringing up Christmas Day. Reminded her my Kids were going to see some European family in town.. their Aunt who had thyroid Cancer + their 26 yr old Cousin who had SVT-Heart surgeries. I know she has no one but me...but...
Told her I would be going on a long Christmas walk... watch a Christmas movie .. Told her many times throughout the season that we celebrate every day of the season. .. Seeing Christmas decorations & lights.. Spreading cheer. She is not this person, so confusing to her. Told her I am not a fan of all the build up for just one day... I like to enjoy all the days of the season. Let's just say, I am happy I hold to my boundaries, but will never be able to escape her?? *She can never be happy that we are happy without her. Huge % of my life has been w/o her for yrs.
She asked me for about 3 mins solid why she couldn't live with me or vice versa. I firmly stated, "I don't want to discuss this again. It's very stressful for me. I have grown Kids & a Career/a sig other. Told her she should want her kids to leave the nest & soar." She asked if she had been a horrible Mother. I said, "Do you want to talk about 10 yrs of (her)Alcoholism & go from there?!" She said "I don't like this game anymore." I said "Good, let's focus on the here & now, have a nice day...and next best steps with each month: opening up to part time help in the New Year. Told her this is what my friends' Parents have done.
She lit up a cigar in the kitchen. I asked her if she could wait until I left. She told me I could go.
Drove home in rush hour traffic 2 hrs & was elated to arrive back home.
I don't think I will ever have peace on earth with her in my life....but I have no choice. I am the only one she has...
Called her once I was home, & was met with "Thank you so much for coming...best time..I am sad you are gone & not here."
Nothing compared to what so many of you endure, but so taxing on my brain. Every decade of my life has been chock full of her neuroses...
Proud I have kept my boundaries...but sad that I have to work so hard for the respect...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You’ve done well in a difficult situation. Good job! Enjoy the rest of your holiday
(1)

I had a great time with my family( hubs and junior) on our little pre Christmas getaway. I spent Christmas Eve with parents and estranged sibling and their family at the ALF. We had dinner and brought gifts for my parents. I was very diplomatic even though I wanted to throw garlic bread at sibling. They showed up at the last moment and expected me to host. I was told by sibling I am selfish and mean spirited and think of no one but myself. I busted out laughing and changed the subject. This was one of the best Christmas' in years.
(1)

lealonnie1: You nailed it! Thanks. Always appreciate your responses & advice. I have copy & pasted many of them & saved. <3
(1)

It's good the One Day is over with now, and your obligation has been met. I guess that's the best way to look at it, huh? Sigh. I know what you mean about being the only one left to meet mom's needs, and enduring decades of your life chock full of her neuroses. I also remember the stress of the 'talks' about why mom couldn't move in with me, then being accused of being a 'liar' for the reasons I gave her for why it was impossible. Also her asking me about being a 'horrible mother' but not wanting to know the REAL answer to that question, which I always avoided like the plague ANYWAY. I was that daughter myself for 65 years of my life, until my mother passed away this February, finally ending my role for good. While I'm not 'happy' my mother died, I'm happy my role as her daughter is over with, to be honest with you. It was an exhausting, thankless role that was joyless for the most part, and brought neither one of us any happiness or good for all those years. We didn't like one another very much, is what it boiled down to, I think.....but I do believe we loved one another. I'm glad she's at perfect peace now, FINALLY, and that my life can move forward without any further expectations as a 'daughter'.

I'm glad you were able to keep your boundaries with mom this Christmas, and that she actually thanked you for coming over. Too bad she had to add the 'but' on the end, as they ALWAYS have to do. Always always always. Never able to leave a compliment alone, but insist on adding a dig in on the end to make sure we know we SHOULD HAVE done something more, and too bad we didn't. Too bad you're gone and not there..........but thanks ever so much for coming. Ugh.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter