Follow

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/atria-walnut-creek-employee-charged-after-resident-dies/

So, Atria Walnut Creek initially told the family that the decedent had ingested hot Cheetos. Hospital and autopsy findings indicated a caustic substance, and in time they admitted it was an all purpose cleaner. This one individual is charged specifically with leaving it around while he was unsupervised while she should have known. There are no allegations that she directly fed him it.

Whereas at Atria Park in San Mateo, everyone stipulates that three residents were fed dishwashing concentrate with a ph higher than Drano directly from staff and Two of them died. Worker A poured the solvent into a juice container and left it on the counter to deal with some disturbance. Worker B thinks it’s juice and pours it into cups. Worker C hand fed one of the residents this, causing her death.

However, worker A has not been charged in the August incident. No one has. The San Mateo da has all but said he’d rather have this handled via civil litigation. Well they are gonna get less money because you didn’t act, for one. That family in Contra Costa knows that if their lawsuit goes to court, there’s a felony count in criminal court behind it. They don’t have to cave for what might be 10k each after lawyers fees.

Oh, and the San Mateo da told the San Mateo Daily Journal that “families should be on top of this.” These families were mostly local and visited. But even if one has nobody, one should not be poisoned.

I want the da to do his job. Grow an actual pair or pear. Either Worker A flagrantly disregarded her job instructions about not putting chemicals in pitchers, or her supervisor tolerated the behavior, in which case the highest up who should have known about it is criminally liable! Come on, there’s a facility that has admitted from the start that their staff poisoned three people and nothing criminally happens?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Yeah, I agree Peggy. A thorough investigation needs to be done and consequences should be doled out accordingly.

What a tragic situation. We had an awful situation here with a particular nursing home during hurricane Katrina. They weren’t evacuated. They died.

In this case the nursing home owners were acquitted. Some people question this decision. I don’t remember all of the details but over 30 residents died.

I called the nursing home that my godmother was in. Poor woman had advanced Alzheimer’s and she thought the home was taking them all on a road trip! She had no idea about it being an emergency evacuation. I’m glad in a way, because she wasn’t frightened.
(2)

The family lawyer agrees this goes beyond one person. Who was apparently the only caregiver on the floor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/theyre-using-this-woman-as-a-scapegoat-atria-assisted-living-worker-accused-in-residents-death-appears-in-court/ar-AA16UWlB
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter