Follow

I am here out of curiosity trying to understand the Do's and Don'ts of a Professional Caregiver , I have a best friend who is a Client / Patient she has epilepsy and all sorts of other issues and I just want to watch out for her own protection and safety . She is in a romantic relationship with her care giver he comes to her house daily for his hours for his work hours to be counted for but he doesn't really do anything for her . They have drank alcohol together while he was on the clock and she isn't supposed to be drinking because of her medications she takes. I don't get a good feeling about this guy who is " Caring " for my best friend. I just want to know what is okay and not okay in the state of Pennsylvania as far as this is concerned is there a complaint or HIPPA rules that goes against this ? I am really concerned and worried for her . Someone Please Help me :(

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
If your friend is happy with the support she is receiving, and unless you have directly witnessed any inappropriate conduct, this is not your business. Have you asked her? What do you mean by "a romantic relationship," and how do you know?

It's 2022. The gender of a caregiver should make zero difference to the standard of care provided to a client of either (or any) gender. In our service individual preference is taken into account, and special factors such as religious belief, past experience of abuse etc. will create exceptions, but we haven't the staff numbers to send only males or only females to most calls. Our males are particularly skilled at respecting privacy and putting clients at ease, I've worked alongside them, I've audited their work with clients, and I would trust any one of them with my own care if I were ever to need it.
(1)

I am with frequent. You must have seen this first hand. If it is coming from your friend, she may be in fantasy land. And IMO no agency should be sending a man to care for a women if it means bathing and toileting her.

Be careful, you could lose a friend over this. She is an adult capable of making her own decisions. Just be happy in knowing that he is being very unprofessional. If he is a Certified Nurses Aide (CNA) or a certified Home Health Aide (HHA) then the Nursing Board in your State may hold the certification. (CNA and HHA have different qualifications and different certications)
(1)

mgirlmonkey, are you witnessing this first hand? Or is your best friend telling you these things? Is the caregiver from an Agency? Or was he private hire? Is your friend paying for this caregiver or is the State?

I would hate to see an innocent caregiver get into trouble if what is happening is being imagined by your friend. If in fact all of what she says is true, the Agency needs to know and for them to handle the situation.
(1)

I would liken this to a patient/ psychiatrist relationship, the intimacy of the relationship and vulnerability of the patient opens the door for crossing the line wether it be sinister or mutual and it’s the paid professionals (I use that term loosely in this case) responsibility to maintain the line. I can only assume that your friend qualifies for a caregiver because she needs one so there is that. What she or someone is paying for on her behalf is a prostitution by the sounds of it even if they are “in love”. I might find a way to present it this way; would he spend time with her on his own time? I’m sure this kind of thing happens more often than we think but an ethical person would be finding a new client and caregiver for his romantic interest to separate the two and then spending his time outside of work with his girlfriend. I think you are rite and a good friend for being concerned but I would also encourage you to tread lightly in your discussions about it with your friend, she is likely to be very defensive on the subject because part of her knows this isn’t rite and she may get very angry if she knows or even suspects you went to authorities first. Not that she won’t be if they come knocking and you have already expressed concern but I would try to talk to your friend first. You could even approach it as concern for him “I am so happy that you have found this relationship and I don’t want it to create problems for either of you. The longer this goes on the more likely it’s going to get out and I doubt people, especially his agency will see it the way I can. You guys might think about having him find another client and getting a new caregiver for you just to keep things on the up and up…” something along those lines, of course if he isn’t employed by an agency and she pays out of her own pocket it might be a little tricker helping her/them see the reasons for taking pay out of the equation but it still should be. Good luck and good for you watching out for your friend.
(0)

Report him to his agency, to the state licensing board, to the police.

This is Abuse of a Vulnerable Adult, and 100% against the law and unethical.
(2)

If he is working through an agency then he bloody well SHOULD lose his job, besides the violation of ethics it sounds as though he isn't much of a caregiver either. Document what is going on so there is more than your say so, then contact his employer and whoever is providing her funding too.
(2)

Caregivers under no circumstances are supposed to become involved romantically, sexually, or even personally with their clients/patients.
They are supposed to maintain a professional relationship with their clients that is similar to what a doctor or nurse has with their patients.
If your friend is able to drink and party with her caregiver, then she does not need a caregiver. Someone should inform disability or Medicaid if this is how she gets by because she doesn't need either.
(1)

Well, the answer to that is a hard 'no'. If they want to have a romantic relationship, the he should quit his job as her caregiver.

He's providing alcohol while she's on meds for epilepsy? That's tantamount to abuse.

Follow your feelings and maybe talk to him--and her and explain what the negative outcomes of this relationship could be. He could lose his job, for sure.

You state he's not really helping her, then why is he even around? Sounds very, very fishy to me.

Doesn't MATTER what state they live in--they are not acting appropriately in this situation at all!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter