Follow

Just a fun thing to focus on something different for a few minutes is the idea.
It can be anything in the world, any area, subject, thing, experience, but has to be something incredible.

Give me something that will really dazzle me :) dazzle others.

BTW, this discussion section forces you to select a topic, so I chose "care decisions" and my topic is not about "care decisions." It's nothing to do with care decisions, its just a random thing for fun.

Alva , thinking of you this morning as I'm drinking my coffee! 🙂

Doggiemom, so glad you have peace in that!!

I once read that during the Holocaust it wasn't the physically strongest that survived. It was the one's that found something good in there life. A friend that shared a piece of bread, a flower growing amongst all the dirt.
(0)

This might sound weird, but I got my divorce papers served and feel a weight lifted off me like I had a boulder yanked off my neck! Now onto the final steps.
(3)

What is just incredible is putting on the coffee in the morning, pouring cream in the bottom of the cup, and then watching the dark coffee go all caramel -color as the coffee pour in.
What's even MORE incredible is the first sip.

I am an easy kind of gal who finds tremendous pleasure in the smallest things. There was, way back in the 60s or 70s, this very odd "art house" film called "My Dinner with Andre". Two friends, different as apples and oranges, sitting talking over a dinner. And I never quite got over Wally Shawn telling Andre that he was a simple man. And then telling him that all it took to make him happy was the way coffee went all caramel color over the cream. That's it for me, too. I can sit in the museum studying one painting for a good long time, absorbing it. I take it slow.
(3)

My mom who had dementia & lived with me, past on a few months ago, a few days before she past, she said her mother, husband & brother ( all deceased) were in the room & were asking her to go with them, she asked me “should I go” I answered “yes , mom go with them”, she also said 2 other people she didn t know were there, I m hoping it was maybe a spirit guide & angel 🙏🏼 , they seemed to come in and out according to her & she would speak to them, which was comforting to both of us,
Also at one point for about 15 minutes, she spoke to me the way she did before dementia, saying little details about her making clothes with her mother & asking me complex questions,
I consider both of these things, a gift & I ll never forget it, caring for her in my home was very difficult & I know alot of people here said to move her into a nursing home, but I m glad I didnt , I had the best parents & I feel she died the way she wanted to, she hated hospitals & nursing homes,
a few people helped sometimes, so I could get go out on some weekends & that helped greatly,
if I had to do anything different, I would have reached out to the volunteer caregivers group & church volunteers
(2)

I’m not supposed to be here .

I will preface this with saying I was always a doubter of any unusual things that could not be explained by science .

4 months after my Dad died , I was driving home after moving my daughter into an apartment just off campus her junior year at college.

I was driving on I-80. In an area with truck traffic where the highway is only 2 lanes each way through and on the side of mountains. No shoulders on the highway in this area. This one 18 wheeler truck was erratic , the guy had to have been on drugs. I had seen him earlier driving erratically . Then he fell behind because of the steep climb around a mountain . Then he caught up .

He came up behind me fast , tailgated really bad , so I changed lanes and he started to pass me but then he slowed down and tried to come in my lane . I was on the side of the mountain , probably a 200 foot drop. He was trying to force me over that guardrail . Or maybe he didn’t know I was there cause he was on drugs . Idk . I braked to slow down , but there was no way that he wasn’t going to hit me , because even slowing down to a stop wasn’t going to have the truck fully pass me in time . I just knew I was going to go over the guard rail .

Then it was like time stood still for a couple of seconds and all of a sudden the truck was in front of me but cleared my car without hitting me. Again, this was impossible as we were side by side .

It was a very strange feeling , like I wasn’t even the one driving . The only explanation I have is , some guardian angel saved me and pushed the truck ahead of me in an instant . I often think it was my father who saved me . I sometimes wonder if it was partially because He knew my mother needed to be taken care of, so he had been watching where I was.
(5)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-longevity-influencers-lifespan-biohacking/
If anybody can find this article written I believe by Ann Hui, it is incredibly interesting.
There is group of extremely wealthy who believe they can live to be 140 and more, even 160.
They spend each month thousands on supplements, adhere to very strict routines such as 10 min of sun only, plunges in cold water, body scans etc. I am not sure if I would call it living.
Now, I saw this article in Globe and Mail but I am pretty sure I read it somewhere else as I do not subscribe to Globe and Mail. I just cannot find it.
(0)

Beatty, thanks he is healthy active 26 yr old, framer.

He does have exercises induced asthma, I suspect because of his birth, maconium baby or the strong antibiotics.

We didn't find out till he joined the Marines, which I secretly was rather happy he couldn't. 😊
(1)

Anxietynacy, your birth story gave me goosebumps & a flood of memories. I trust your son is grown well since then ☺️

My 2nd (& last) is currently out for a run. A healthy young man, despite his start with antibiotocs & strep infection also.

As to incredible.. I don't know.. the miracle of birth is a miracle really isn't it? Sometimes the daily struggle I feel seems insignificant against the fight to go through the birthing experience (thank goodness we don't remember our own birth).
(1)

My husband! 😍 He is just so supportive and keeps me grounded
(0)

Fawn, WOW, I love that story, what a crazy small world we live in!

That was really touching
(1)

I was on a cruise with my husband, sister and her husband. Everyone said I must go to the dining room and try the pancakes for breakfast, and on one of the last days of the trip I decided to go. Unfortunately, everyone else had something they'd rather do in that time slot, but I went anyway and sat down at the table of a lovely couple. We were getting acquainted when the woman mentioned she'd been born in Macon, GA, and I casually mentioned that BIL's dad was a pediatrician there. She was flabbergasted and said, "OMG, he saved my life!" She'd had a rare health difficulty as a newborn, and Dr. James (not his real name) had known exactly what to do, took a personal interest in her, and coached her parents through her recovery. She'd been his patient throughout her childhood. I was able to introduce her to my BIL, who was delighted to be able to convey to his elderly dad in person his former patient's thanks for her survival fifty years before.
(5)

We all know the usual picture of our solar system, sun in the middle and the planets going around it.

Somewhere I saw that it's actually a little bit different when up there in space, apparently the our sun is moving through our galaxy, with the planets going around it in, our planet is tilted and spinning, while going around the sun, but I'm sat here stationary writing this, and the water in the oceans is not going to the bottom of the planet and all leaking away. We're all going about our day like this is not happening or at least we don't think about it.

Incredible or incredible?
(3)

Geaton777 very dazzling Saturn discovery :) thank you for posting.

Anxietynacy, you're welcome. From reading your various replies to posts from various folks. I feel you have a similar wonderful persona :)

The Mandelbrot is truly incredible. The same patterns repeated in nature, plus I might be able to dig out a 70s paisley shirt, peace! reminds me of Jefferson Airplane, especially Jim Carrey's version of "Somebody to love" in the movie Cable Guy.

You'll love the Arthur C Clarke explanation of the Mandelbrot set in this amazing interview of three amazing people.
https://youtu.be/HKQQAv5svkk?si=S8qADOk_sv5kJ9xQ

This quantum world I find incredible, science has still got a lot to learn. This video describes the electron experiment, this is mind blowing. It's easier watching then explaining this one.
https://youtu.be/XvU0C9v3vTg
(0)

Something that "dazzled" me scientifically was learning that Saturn is made up of 100% gas, and that the pole on the north side where the gasses rotate are doing so in a hexagon shape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn's_hexagon

Also, the Mandelbrot Set: an extremely "simple" math equation that explains/predicts "randomness" in nature (think paisley pattern, fern fronds, coastlines, cloud shapes). Mathematicians have referred to this equation as "God's fingerprint".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set
(3)

Oldageisnofun, thinking I might be needshelp, is the best compliment I've ever had, 😊.

I guess she is taking a break, I miss her! I came in February, needs, and Alva helped me so much. Alvadear is on vacation, I'm hoping she comes back soon.
(1)

Anxietynacy, as well as your incredible story, you were incredible pain too :( I can't even imagine the pain. Hope the 4th son realizes what you endured :)
(0)

Hi Anxietynacy, were you previously Needhelpwithmom on this forum? :) I could be completely wrong. otherwise not seen Needhelpwithmom reply to anything recently, could be taking a break.

Loved your incredible story! that's really amazing, a miracle and thank you for posting. I'll be thinking about the wonder of that for a while.
(0)

Just to add those 15 minutes of labor, they put me on my side and just kept rolling my body, to to keep the contractions coming. While I was pretty much screaming pain.
(1)

Omg, I actually got one.

My 4th and last son.

I had a stomach bug, throwing up, diarrhea, almost 2 weeks past due, and labor started.

Got to hospital, babys heart beat was racing , because I had a fever.

They where in a rush to get the baby out. Broke my water. I went from 4 to 8 centimeters in 15 minutes. Omg the pain was horrible! At 8 centimeters. They said to push. I gave it all I could.

He was born, wisked away, and they decided to give him antibiotics as soon as he was born. They did extensive blood work because of my flu. And found out he had an unrelated infection of group streep B. And needed strong antibiotics.

So because of my flu, he was fine.

Comes to find out giving birth, naturally, with a fever and flu , stopped him from getting very sick and maybe saved his life, because of the antibiotics they gave him the minute he came out.
(5)

Oh my, oldageisnotfun, I like that. But can't think of anything on the top of my head. I'll check back later
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter