Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Lisa: I'm not sure what it is you don't know how to do. You've handled so much more than this and worse than this for a very long time.

Does your Nephew have $20.00 for the moving van? He might also be required to have a credit card. If these are problems for him, he may rather just make a number of trips rather than have to deal with your mom and the U-Haul company. Just wondering if this could be holding him up.

Didn't you have some nieces that were going to help move your mom's stuff at one time? Can they be contacted and asked to help your nephew.

Do you have caller ID? If not, call the phone company and have it added asap. It can be done right away. If you have it, then you know when your mom is calling and you can just let it ring.

Maybe I suffer from a mental problem, but I would be laughing my ass off that she is calling and leaving hateful messages. To hell with her. She can't do anything to you.

The furniture belongs to you, so the answer is NO. She can pitch a fit and fall in it, but the answer is still NO. Maybe nephew can take her to Wally World, Costco, or wherever for a chair or chest. Is her new abode furnished? Either way, not your problem. She can skip on line shopping and put her money towards what she needs. It's got nothing to do with you.

I suggested some time back that you change your phone number. Others have mentioned it too. I seriously think you will need to do that once she gets moved. She's going to get pissed off from time to time and she will call you, especially when she finds some of her photos missing. Maybe you can all, including Doug's office, check with your phone providers and see if you can block her phone number from calling your home. I don't know if that possible, but it would be an easy solution.

I also would suggest that you change the locks on your house or add additional security locks. If you have a home alarm system, change the code.

Here's the good news. She is not under your roof anymore. She can't come and bang on your bedroom door in the middle of the night anymore. And there are solutions to her nasty phone habits.

My heart goes out to you, but you will get through this week. You keep posting and letting us know what's going on. Remember, Breath, hahahahahaha, breath, hahahaha.

Love and Hugs, Cattails
(3)

Hahahahaha, I'm breathing cat. I guess the part I don't know what to do with the phone and changing the number is dougs business clients. Good night, we would have to kill a tree to send out notices or maybe his secratary could send one massive e-mail. We've had the same # for 22 years. You would be surprised how many clients call our home. Doug seems to think it will taper off. Myself and the girls can definitely change our cell #. he's against changing anything till we see how bad it is. We are already laughing. She had the nursing rehab send Doug a letter personally inviting him to plan her care with the physical therapy. Jen and I laughed so hard we dam near peed ourselves. Every time we start teasing him he says bite me and goes to the man cave. Our whole married life she would call and tell him happy birthday, merry Xmas, happy fathers day, etc. Of course in her mind she thought it was hurting me. So we are having fun with this one. Beths in a snit because we are teasing him. She offered to go with him and we were rolling. She docent really get it and she's mad at us, so Jen and I are staying up till she gets home to explain it to her. Then hopefully she will get in on the fun.
(3)

I guess the easiest thing to look into would be number blocking on your cell phones. But, the only thing about blocking her number from calling you, is that she might start calling from other numbers. A new home, unlisted phone number would be a great thing. I totally get how you feel about changing Doug's work number if he's had it for 22 years. That just doesn't seem like a good idea from a business point of view. I think she'll stop calling after a while, don't you? It puts her at a disadvantage to be the one being shot down by the calls going unanswered, and she won't like that. She definitely doesn't have the upper hand in this and it must be driving her insane. There are places that she can rent furniture if she has none. I don't think they're insanely expensive. Just a thought. I'm still shaking my head that she thinks you should give her furniture. Holy moly. I'm glad you're laughing and I hope Beth sees the humor in it tonight. Dough saying "bite me" and walking off is hysterical.
(2)

Lisa: I'm so glad to hear you are laughing......and breathing!!!!! Check to see if you can have her number blocked. You need to wait until she gets into her apartment and gets her own phone. I'm assuming, although you didn't make it clear, that you have caller ID, so the first time she calls you from her new home phone, you've got her number and you can talk to your service provider. Actually, you can call them in advance and see if blocking her number is a possibility.

I don't think she will be walking to other locations to find a phone to call you from. If she does and you answer the phone, just tell her that you do not want to talk to her and hang up. It might be good to keep a log of the number of times she calls.

I agree that if Doug has numerous clients, then it's not really practical to change the home phone number. Let's find another way to skin this cat....ouch, that hurt, but you get what I'm saying. There has to be a way.

I hope Beth gets a good laugh out of this when you've explained it to her.

Keep us posted. It'd never dull and we love you.

Cattails.
(1)

Caller ID was a great invention-it even comes up on our TV since I bundled things-I had made the suggestion of turning down the answering machine and maybe delating the messages because that is what I had to do with the husband. He had asked our son to get a tapr recorder for him to document family history but he let slip he wanted to get me on tape being mean to him and after he died the rehab packed up his things and the tape recorder was not included but I think maybe the social worker had heard his tirades about me and threw it out-I was going to let my son listen to it but was not going to listen to it myself but never had to worry about since it was gone.
(2)

I've been sitting here trying to find my way around this site to read everyone's stories. My niece wasn't lying bout my computer skills. Gonna figure out this give a hug, Guess the nephew is really angry. I've left messages for him all day. She must be getting released tomorrow, because he needs her oxygen and Meds. I can imagine the arguing with his wife about mom going to his house. His stepdaughter is terrified of mom. She a few years older now so maybe she will do ok. I'm thinking he may have talked nursing home to keep her till Saturday. That would be the sensible thing to do. But not my problem. We will miss out at the memorial get together at green river this year. Dougs sister owns a piece of land there that they built a cabin on. They let us all bring our campers and we have so much fun every summer. Only made it there 3 times last year. I am sooo looking forward to this summer. This will be the last one we miss. Doug wants me to go and let him handle things this weekend. No way. I need to see this thru to the end. I have to. Then on Sunday gonna scrub it all down. Already have my colors I want in there. And um mm, erectile dysfunction. Yep, I'm starting to learn my way around the site. Heeheehee. Hope all my besties have a peaceful and blessed evening. Love and hugs to all, lisa
(4)

I bet your nephew is sorry he decided to help her-well you had two years of it and he must have known about her drama unless he thought the problem was you-arn't you glad you are on the other side of it now-you have a great husband to offer to handle the rest of it.
(3)

Hey, Lisa! How are you holding up? I'm sorry you're missing the long weekend at the cabin with family, but I'm impressed at your resolve to see this thing through to the end. I guess its really not over until she's got a place of her own, kind of like getting an evil genie back in a bottle and capping it. Your summer is going to be great though!
(3)

Hi Judy! Been up dine 2:45 a.m. Just tossing and turning so thought might as well get up. Nephew starts moving her things tomorrow night. He says. If he docent show like he says I'm liable to have a meltdown. Temps here are going to be close to 100 sat and sun with storms Sunday so he needs to get started. Dougs sisters daughter in law was pregnant with her second chil and she called us last night. She miscarried. She was carrying twins. She's devastated. We are very close to her and my nephew. My sister in law will be at the lake, so those of us here will rally round them. They are actually already at the lake but they told them to stay. So sad for them. Been a few calls. Picked up on a couple and every time the vile started spewing I simply told her till she gets control of herself I won't be able to speak to her. Then I hang up. Let it ring when she calls back. Any more contact will be on my terms not hers. My nephew called and somehow he's arranged it so they keep her till Monday, and shell be moved in, and now there's peace at his home. But that boy wouldn't know how to tell the truth if it jumped up and bit him in the behind. Who knows. As long as it's finished this weekend. Have a really bad run I have to do today. Last time I did this run, middle schoolers, I had a battery hit windshield and bounced back and break my glasses. I remember my disbelief when I took this job how well bus drivers are paid. I've since then then question it no more. ;)))))) everyone have a wonderful day!
(3)

Someone said they didn't think Mom would walk around to other phones so she could call your phones (if you block her cell number). My Dad started asking the other residents of the nursing home if he could borrow their phone..so he could get around our block. There is also a courtesy phone... but still you should be able to block your cell and landline. Also, if you have verizon (and prob no matter what your carrier) you can go online and print out th elist of people who ahve called you...
(2)

Wow! What a blessing to have found this site in the middle of the night! I too have my mother living with me and feel as though she is driving me crazy and driving wedges between the few loved ones we do have in our small family.

My story goes as such: My mother was always a strong, independent, rather intelligent woman with a few bad habits. She birthed 2 daughters, my sister who is 55 and lived off of mom all her life because of her drug addictions and lack of responsibility and me. I am now 49 and I too was an addict who became sober 8 years ago. The difference in my sister and I is that I have always supported myself and I own my home, have a long term job since I got sober and have a family of my better half, my 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters.

The plot thickens: I have custody of my oldest granddaughter who of course lives with me, and have a strained relationship with her mother who left her, although we are working on improving it. My youngest daughter,21, lives with us with her 5 month old baby, and now my mother has lived with us for almost 2 years. We moved her out to the country to our home when my sister continually threatened mom for $ from my uncles estate when he passed away 3 years ago and finally, eventually scared mom enough and hurt mom enough with her hateful words that mom called me crying and said "something had to change and I don't feel safe any longer". That was Octoer 12, 2010 and I found her a house out here in the country and moved her by November 1, 2010. SHE NEVER SPENT ONE NIGHT IN THAT HOUSE AND HAS LIVED WITH ME EVER SINCE!

The plot gets even thicker: I helped mom in every aspect of handling my uncles estate as she was the only heir, yet unable to drive the many miles to his ranch, unable to wokr the 100 head herd he had raised, unable to disperse of the cattle and haul them to auction as directed by the judge, unable to clean the rtanch house or move his antique belongings, etc...my hubby and I did it all, ALONE, WITHOUT HELP, because we knew she could not and knew my uncle would want his belongings taken care of and knew it was the right thing to do. This went on for 2 years...in the beginning of this adversity and while she needed me, mom was pleasant and grateful and oh so happy that I was there to help. I compiled information for the attorneys, did all sorts of running and everything involved in attempting to get the estate settled so that she would have that handsome figure to live her life out comfortably as the sole heir. As time went on, I continued to ask what else needed to be done and she assured me things were being taken care of...yet much to my surprise, she didn't file taxes and then...WORTE THE IRS A $5000 HOT CHECK! So, now there is much to do to get things seteled but she has removed me from being able to communicate wioth the atty...for some strange reason. I DO have a medical and financial POA however, but really never thought I would need them. I just want her to have the $ my uncle worked all his life for to use for a comfortable assisted living home. Momma cannot live alone as she ends up living in filth, cat pee smelling dirt with month old dished and a floor covered with junk and papers and God only knows what else. It took me 2 days to clean her last apartment when I moved her in 2010!

The thickest plot: Mom has become mean, argumentative, hateful, hurtful, demanding, and honestly irritating. She OVER corrects my granddaughter, makes rude remarks to me continually to the point where now I jsut do not speak, lest I become short or terse. She sent me flowers at work today with a message that said "Thank you for being there for me. I want to do the same for you. Mother" yet told my oldest daughter that the only reason she sent them was to "see how I would react"...ummm...I think nthat is really messed up...and it makes me horribly sad.

Asking for help: I am lost. I do not know what to do. I do not know where she stands monetarily. I do not know how to help her and really am honestly losing the drive to help and I know that sounds horrible, but it is the truth. I am worn out. Hurt. Tired. I have enough to do in caring for my 3 year old granddaughter that I have custody/conservatorship over, directing my youngest daughter and assisting in my the care of my youngest 5 month old granddaughter, working full time, TRYING to have SOME semblance of a relationship with, helping others in recovery, my better half and STILL have a little "me" time...but all of these things are emotionally fulfilling and spiritually fulfilling to me. I am truly sad to say that my own mom is emotionally, spiritually and even physically draining me...

Conclusion: I do love my momma. She has helped me many times throughout my life but I really don't think she is all there. I KNOW she is putting a strain on my happiness and on the balance in our already-challenging home situation. I do not know where to draw the line. I do NOT have the money to pay for a alternate place for her to live either though...and I fear the IRS and/or the state will take what inheritance is left from my uncle as she has not files taxes in many, many years...like 8-10 years. So, I genuinely need direction, suggestions and prayers, and I would be so grateful to receive them all from experienced, empathetic individuals who really understand what I am going through.

God bless you each and every one who is in these difficult situation or knows of those who are...we can survive and do nto have to be riddled with guilt...I truly believe this...amen~
(2)

Protect your recovery, work your steps, talk 2 those who support u--sponsor?. As 4 momma-POA should indicate means 4 determining when mom is 2 B considered incompetent-usually either as declared by 2 docs or when U say so. B sure UR POA IS VALID, then get an assessment of her health & mental status. Ask in the rooms-some of the MH pros should be able 2 point U 2 a good provider. If POA is valid, proceed 2 contact IRS or have lawyer at university elder law center or similar handle 4 her. Waiting longer will cost her more and more. She doesn't seem 2 B doing 4 self in own best interest-must b some reason 4 the change in her. Good luck, hope this helps w a start point & contests on recovery !
(3)

Sober2004, I don't have time right now to respond fully but I have a suggestion. Could you cut and paste your entire post into a new thread? I am not trying to play site cop and it isn't wrong to put your post in this thread -- it is on the same topic. Bu I just think you'll get more response if you have your own post, and also it will be less confusing for readers to keep track of who is responding to whom.

Please don't take this as criticism, as that is not my intention. Disregard my suggestion if it doesn't seem helpful.

Actual response later ...
(9)

Sober2004, I have to agree with jeannegibbs, A new thread would allow us to form a new connection with you and the problems that arise. Good Luck to you.
(3)

I agree with the two above starting a new thread would be good -probably as a discussion but however you want to place it-then you will get people who understand and have the same interest and thank you for sharing your story-I have a friend or at least she use to be my friend and alcohol has become more important to her than her health her family of friends and would like to learn mre about this addiction myself and a new thread would be useful to me as well.
(5)

If it is your cell, change her incoming to your phone ringtone to a simple one that does not irritate. Then you know it is your mom calling and you can choose to react or not.
I have crazy song ringtone for my kids, because they are the only humans that get to interrupt me. My everyday ringtone is one chime. (less than a door bell). I ignore it alot.

you kinda want the opposite.
(2)

Sober, I agree with the others.
(0)

Lisa: Think about you this weekend. Many hugs and best wishes. Cattails
(0)

Sober, if you start a new thread, please come back to *this* one and let us all know what it is called so we can also migrate to yours in addition to this one. I'm glad you started it here so all the folks involved in this thread can also be part of your story once you restart a separate conversation....I'm glad you posted here and I'm sure you will find some great help here.
(2)

I agree that you comeback here also-many are on more than one thread.
(0)

This is THE weekend, right? Mom will have an address of her own? You will have a freshly scrubbed and maybe even painted room? Can't wait to hear the latest, Lisa.
(1)

Sigh....the nephew never showed last night for the first load. I tried repeatedly to call him. Then I texted him. Woke this morning to his phone call screaming at me. So i naturally hung up on him. He called back 20 minutes later and I ripped into him. His choices: I have the receipt from her eviction notice. He has until 2 o clock Sunday to have it all or it will be moved to the end of the driveway. So he showed up here an hour later and Doug opened the garage and helped him load the pallet full into his van. Said he'd back in 3 hours. Haven't heard from him since. Just texted him that Doug and Chris are emtying the rest of the room, dresser, tv and computer out to the drive to make it go faster for him. And that's just what they are doing. If he shows up fine. Good for him. Maybe this is harsh? I can't help it. I need this done so badly. I liter rally went into the bathroom this morning and just dry heaved. Doug dosen't even know about the call. More secrets. He had just left to take the dogs to the groomer. My nerves are shot friends.
(0)

The nephew is in his own hell, trying to help. He sounds like he is in over his head, and from your description, that's not a surprise.

Take a deep breath. Tell Doug about the dry heaving. Tell NEPHEW about the dry heaving. Tell him your energy is not about him, but about Mom. That you really need this stuff out of the house, like a life and death emergency. That you aren't mad at him, but frustrated that the Mom schtuff keeps hanging on. That you probably let it go too long but this is where we are.

Your nerves ARE shot. That is okay, it really is. Deep breath. Tell everyone what is really true here. Take a walk out th back door and use up some of you excess energy. Take another deep breath. And remember that, whatever your issues are with nephew, he is helping you now. It's not what you're wishing for, but it's better than what anyone else has done. Deep breath. Deeeeeeep breath.

We're breathing with you, sweetie. We are. Xoxoxoxoxxojb
(6)

Lisa: I am sorry you are having so many problems with the nephew. I'm wondering why you and Doug just don't take matters into your own hands and start moving stuff. You have the most to gain from getting everything moved. Why is it the responsibility of the nephew to do this? It doesn't matter who does it, just as long as it is done. I'd carry it on my back to her new place if it would free up my home. Just wondering. You must have a reason. Love, Cattails
(1)

I know right now you are thinking this will never end... but it will, there isn't even a word I can find to describe your courage thru this whole mess. But the hard hard lesson here is everyone is accountable for thier choices... you are not setting stuff at the end of the driveway to be mean, you are doing it because that is what you said you would do.... I am so sorry this is pushing you to dry heaves.... I know you are exhausted, but for every stand you make, every time you follow thru, the stronger you will be on the other side of it.... there is a light at the end of this tunnel... so I am going to suggest you get some counseling.... this is PTSD if I've ever seen it.... counseling, not because there is anything wrong with YOU, but because this is a painful ugly mess to work back from.... no need to do it the hard way.... that's what your mom would like, for you to be a year from now still in the bathroom throwing up nothing..... there just aren't enough positive words to lay at your feet so say what an incredible example you have set for others in this situation,,, so you will be able to say there isn't anything you can't do if you set your mind to it....I don't have you on a pedestal, that's too much to live up to, but I do have heartfelt respect for you.... please keep us updated..... you are very loved.... can 't imagine what you are feeling right now... just know that we are all still here for you, no matter what.... hugs across the miles to you.....
(5)

Don't think I haven't tried that cat. Doug already called u haul to find out if they had a truck available. They did. I called the nursing home to tell her Doug just left to get a truck to move her things because it's not working out with him trying to do it on his own. Her reply? You will not get the keys so you can stick that truck straight up your ass. It'll be out when I'm dam good and ready. Hung up on me. So yes. So I called Doug to come back home and called my other nephew who was on his way to help Doug and Chris. This could have been done hours ago. Jen and I was even going to put things where they belong out of the boxes. My hands are tied. Doug and I have always lived by when you want something done, do it.
(3)

Ah! In that case, I'd rent the truck for a few days and pack it up for your nephew, drive it over to wherever, get picked up, and be done with it. Tell them the truck goes bak Tuesday. The day rental cost is totally worth it!
(5)

Lisa you are doing it right-pack up her stuff and let the other nephew take it to the nursing home-now you know she is still being bitter and mean and has not learned any thing through this and now you do not have to deal with her -if it was me the things would have been put out with a for free sign and is 24 hr. would have gone into the garbage.
(3)

New mantra for you, dear: It's almost over, it's almost over, it's almost over ...
(8)

Oh, and here's an advance peek at the next manta: It's not my problem, it's not my problem, it's not my problem.

You'll get there.
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter