Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
FYI: Bookworm has started her thread: "How Can I handle despair when I in prison as caregiver of two bedridden parents and no help?"

Cattails
(1)

Bookworm: I think the therapist was trying to point out that your sibs are not doing enough on your behalf. They are not behaving in a manner that shows they care for you. I don't think they know how to care for you. It's their failing not yours.

I read your new thread. From what you explained about your childhood it was extremely dysfunctional. Your siblings are scarred by that same upbringing. They are not capable of really caring or they would not allow you to be in the position you are in.

We will be joining you on your new thread. We are sending love and support to you. Hugs, Cattails
(2)

Hi everyone. I had an interesting phone call this morning. An organization named eldercare or elder serve called wanting to speak with mom. I asked her if this had to do with home care and she said no. They offer their services to seniors who are in need of legal help. Hmmmmm. So I give them moms number. Then mom called 3 hours later and told me they called and offered her free legal services to represent her and help her fight the nephew. Seems Jane the social worker referred her. Then I get a call back from them this afternoon to see if I would be willing to meet with them to explain the history of the ongoing exploitation of mom. Seems Jane was sincere when she said they'll protect her now. Seems they believe the first order of business they want is for her to file an epo on this grandson too. They said they can have that to extend to my family also. They will provide her transportation to and from court I believe I'll take them up on the offer for my family. See, we left the boat in the driveway this past weekend and when Chris got up at 3a.m. The boat lights were on. The more we think about it we think he was here being a smartass. But either way I'm now off the hook helping in any way having to get her to and from court. So what do you think? Have them here for a meeting to fill them in on everything? My instinct is say no. I don't want to do this crap anymore. So tired of it.....
(0)

Have you researched this organization online? Do you get good feelings about their work?

How about a compromise? What if you wrote up a brief overview of the exploitation history, (just the facts, not the emtional content), discussed it with Hubby or anyone else who could jog your memory and add items, and provide them with this summary. Perhaps offer a one-time in-person discussion not to exceed 30 minutes.

Because, dear Lisa, I really think it is time to start the new mantra.

... it's not my problem ... it's not my problem ... it's not my problem ... it's not my problem... it's not my problem ... it's not my problem
(2)

Follow your gut girl, done means done.... there are other ways to protect your family and property without it having anything to do with your Mom.... hope the nephew has enough sense to stay away.... at least let the cops know what you think may be going on... then they will have a heads up in case he decides to get stupid.... let us know what you decide.... hugs..
(3)

Lisa: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are considering being involved in this quest against nephew because the lights of your boat were found on a 3am in the morning? I agree, he may have been being a smart ass, but you have no proof.

My suggestion would be to just tell the truth, as you are so good at doing, and refer them to the facts, meaning the withdrawals from her account. I really don't know why you even have to get involved in this at all. Your mom is more than capable of telling her story and the bank will back her up.

I think I'd let your mom handle it. She has support now and it's your chance to stay out of the problems she creates for herself. I don't see you getting anything out of this except more problems.

Going to the lake.............not my problem. Going to the lake............not my problem.

Love you Lisa, Cattails.
(2)

Lisa: Forget the "My suggestion would be to just tell the truth, as your are so good at doing. From there on I'm ok with my advise. Don't get involved.
(1)

Lisa, I would stay out of it. If they call you, just explain to them that there's a police report on it. With your mother's authorization, they can also verify it with the bank and interview all those people who remembered your mom terrorizing that poor bank lady. Everyone will remember that!
(2)

I agree Lisa let her handle it-they can get the police report-you do not need all this after all you have been through-she is a grown up and needs to handle her own problems.
(2)

Thanks ladies. Going with my instincts then. The time has come to work on me. She will be calling back today because I told her we make decisions as a family. I'm thinking if they can pick her up for court appearances, they can take her to the bank also. That poor bank officer. Snicker snicker snort snort. And Jeanne, I haven't looked these people up on line. I guess even yesterday it was way low on my priority list. I will call Jane and thank her for standing behind her statement they'll protect her now. Today is beths birthday. Taking her to the mall to get her music downloaded on a cd. Every year we go over and have all the music from dancing with the stars downloaded. My girls a creature of habit. She keeps looking for the seasons to come out on DVD. Then tonite we grill burgers and dogs. Having mil, fil, aunts and cousins over. It's been so long and we all are so excited. I've already warned no mom discussions because it only sends Beth to another place in her mind. Tonite is about being together and celebrating. Our love to all of you, lisa
(5)

Go Lisa, clap clap, Go Lisa, clap clap, good job, have a fun time tonight and tell Beth Happy Birthday.... hugs across the miles...
(1)

I may have mis-read your question, Lisa, but it seems to me that answering the questions about the exploitation would be useful for everyone involved. AND your mother is not your problem now, but from the time when she was, you can provide some useful reality checks and history. You can also, by being helpful but not all involved, demonstrate that you all weren't complicit in the exploitation through neglect. Offering a narrative, along with all the times you advised against various things, will not only give Jane a useful picture (yes, she was exploited, and no, you can't actually trust anything out of her mouth). Your mother is prone to confabulation, and when Jane starts to see that, she could start doubting a whole lot of things. And while I get it -- bed made, etc. -- it also seems like the whole FAMILY could use some help dealing with drug addict nephew.
I think there is a way to offer the facts and not get sucked in. Think of it as about the kid, not your Mom.
And if after reading this, you still have the instinct to tell Jane never mind, that's what you should do.
Have her read this thread, actually -- she will get all the facts here. Then you accomplish all goals (provide some facts, don't get dragged into the mud) in an easy way.

Finally, I wanted to share the words to a song I used to sing in my head, and still do every once in a while, called, "Not My Problem." Jeanne's new mantra reminded me of it. It's to the tune of "Oklahoma" -- from the musical of the same name. You can find the tune on iTunes, if you don't know it. But if you do, let me "sing" it for you. Ahem. Cough cough.

"Nooooooooooot my problem! I am not involved here anymore.
I am on my feet. It sure seems sweet
to be walking out that open door!
Nooooooooooooot my problem!
And tonight my honey lamb and I
Will sit alone and talk and never squak
'bout this gosh darn old news, (compost) pie!
We know there's a line in the sand,
When I stay on my side, things are grand!
So when I say -- yyeeow! -- Ai-yip-i-o-ee-aaay! Wow!
I'm really saying you're not my problem this morning,
Not my problem! Okay!"

Maybe we will hear a chorus of this across the country.
Blessings, sisters!
(5)

I love it!
I have found that I need to maintain very strict boundaries with mother. I do not get involved in her battles with the " abusive" (as in undercooked oatmeal) home care givers. Mother consults with the director of her ALF over them regularly, nor in her complaints about the quality of the food provided (though I agree with her to some extent on that one) as she reports that to the VP of a seniors organization, which works with the governement to improve conditions for seniors. She has a doctor she goes to for her health issues who, along with his staff, is very supportive and understanding, and so on.

I have to say that my gut reaction, Lisa, is "Be very careful", Your mum will manipulate Jane, and anyone else she can, because that is how your mum is. She is also devious.This may be the thin end of a wedge. If you feel you need a epo/restraining order against the addicted nephew, you can do it separately. To me, joining in with her blurs the boundaries of her business vs your business. As far as consulting with Jane, there are some great suggestions here as to how to handle that, and, as always, trust your own guts on it all - nevermind what anyone else says. You have made enormous strides towards your new life and autonomy, and you continue to push forward. You have what I call, the "wisdom of the girlfriends" with you every recent step of the way. It is powerful. I would not be where I am without the "wisdom of the girlfriends". We are the sister elephants helping a mother elephant rescue her baby from a water hole, we are the "wailers" at the wakes who keep watch, we are the untrained midwives who over the centuries, help to usher new lives into this world, we are the nurturers, the supporters, the women through the ages who have stuck beside one another through the vissisitudes of life. We are a force with which to be reckoned.
Do what is good for you. Put the needs of yourself and your family first. You can't go wrong if you so that.
Love and (((((((hugs))))) ♥
Joan
(3)

You know Lisa, I have to agree with those who only want the best for you and your family. I would not get involved with the decision to go to court. You will only become the bad guy if nephew ends up geting jail time over this. Send the company an email with the outline but refuse any futher involvement. Good Luck to you and the lake sounds really nice.
(2)

Lisa, good decision! Have fun party!
(1)

Happy Birthday Dear Beth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The BBQ and family gathering sounds like heaven. It will be so much fun. And I agree; no talk about your mom. This is Beth's special day. Love, Cattails
(1)

Lisa, I will repeat what I said earlier,follow your gut, not your head, not your heart, but that place in all of us that 'knows'... I call it 'my knowing knows', if I get quite and follow my gut, it always works out... whether in your case that is to get involved or not... no one can make that choice but you.... but I think you said your first instinct was to say NO.... what ever you decide, you have support... I really like what emjo said...The wisdom of the girlfriends.... let us know what you decide... we are all following you step by step... hugs across the miles to you...
(1)

Well I spoke with the woman 2 hours ago. Be back in a while. The family arriving. Lord I hate to shop and that young lady sure put me thru the mill today. Uggh
(1)

Lisa, I hope you all had a wonderful evening and I hope it was especially wonderful for Beth. I was so touched by your comment about Beth going to a different place in her mind when discussions about your mom take place. Bless her soul, it makes perfect sense to me. I have to say I do that myself sometimes.

Well, we are here when you want to talk about "The Woman." As I have said before, so glad you are not her POA. Maybe this process will cause the court to appoint one for her. I wouldn't want to be that person. I see another permanent facial twitch on the horizon for who ever might fall into that role.

Love to you, Cattails
(1)

Hehe! Cat, a twitch indeed. I think they' be a few of them developing all around lisa' s mom' new "support system". Lisa you're a miracle! You did it girl, she' s really outta your house :)). !
(3)

Hey everyone: Rebecca is back. She just started a new thread, "Have I done the right thing." We all need to post there are give her some much deserved support. Her sibs have really done a number on her and that's why she has been missing in action. Hugs, Cattails
(0)

It sound like you will have to put her in a home, I hate to say this, how old is she? You know Ive suffered to put my husband into a home he's only 53 now. and my thinking about it is not by him, he's very nice and easy to take care of, its raising our 3 children , they stress me out and then when i look to him for confidence he just raises his hand and goes o well which drives me nuts but hes to young for me to put him in the va...as for your situation, I'd say go for it, she is dismantling your family (and Im sure you gave head way on this for her) and its still going on, maybe you shud mentio it to her that if she does not maintain her self and be nice that you are considering puting her in a home, if she's warned maybe she''ll cool out, and if she doesnt then your justified... Gods speed to you and yours..........
(0)

Good morning everyone! What a terrific evening. We had so much fun. Nothing Beth likes more than getting money to spend on her music and movies. Soooo, the woman now has a name. Shelly. Apparently mom has already figured out there will not be hands on from me in the prosecution of the nephew. I listened to her reasonings why I should be involved. (shelly) And she told me she just don't understand why as the only surviving child why I wouldn't want to protect my mother since my sister, who was her caregiver for so many years died. So I had to ask. Did she tell u how my sister died? Yes mam heart gave out. Ummm, no she was an addict who's colon died from the years of drug abuse and she went to prison twice over the drug use. So how did she tell u the other sister died? Suicide. Mental illness. Ok yes there was mental illness, but she was due to turn herself over to authorities to serve a 6 year sentence for drugs. Did she tell you why I moved her into my home? Yes because she couldn't care for herself? Hahaha breath Lisa......no mam, the caregiver for 20 years, who was an addict, only worked 3 years out of her whole pathetic drug induced life, along with her youngest son emptied her account to the tune of -2000.00. That's why she moved into my home. And only that because I thought there were no other options. So miss shelly you may want to start this conversation over because you are that close to being hung up on. Well mam obviously I've been misinformed. Yes you have, but you were doing fine until you brought the personal into it. So let's start again. It only took 2 weeks for mom to be out from under my protection and and they have emptied her account again. This time she cancelled the card before he got it all. Those are the facts. It happened. I don't quite understand what you need from me. Have her sign a release where you can go as far back in her account as you want. You can't get restitution from the dead. So she told me they have done so with mom on her computer. That everyone failed to look further back to the week before. He obviously had her card for a few days then. Add another 700.00. So they are taking her to the bank to file another police report. I ended the call with here's what I'll do. If you run into any statements she makes that you can't tell facts from fiction, from truth or just plain spite, u have my permission to call me. Personally, I believe he needs to be held accountable. So for my part, go get him. And I urge you to reason with her to get someone to take poa but that someone will not be me. Because this will happen again if some form of protection is not in place. I wished her luck, have a great day and ended the call. Someone please tell me I did ok. I didn't see the contempt on her face but it was so in her voice.
(7)

Oh you did WAAAAAAY more than "okay" Lisa! You did exactly right: helped the agency see the true picture, and protected yourself in the bargain. In my book, that is an A+++. You told them she needs protection for sure, and that you are out of it. Brilliant. On all levels.
(5)

Wow! You have guts. I think you did very good. They tried to bring you back to your mother's clutches but you evaded it. Look, you tried to help your mother. She didn't appeciate it. Other people will always judge you or show contempt that "your turning your back" on your mother. But you and your family knows what you all went through. You tried. She's on her own and you did recommend some things to Shelly. It's now up to them to do those extra steps for your mother.

You did good. You can go to sleep at nights with a clear conscience. Take care!
(7)

Thank you so much. I feel my confidence building back up everyday. I refuse to lie to you. There have been a few mornings I wake up in that dark hole Rebecca has mentioned. I woke yesterday morning on automatic pilot, went straight to that bedroom and opened that door and my heart just started pounding. I actually felt light headed. It scared me a little. Has anyone experienced this. Why am I not waking and realizing immediately she's gone? Am I making any sense? It's like it's a ritual walking to that door. This morning I got up with Doug when the alarm went off. We had coffee and I explained this to him. Well hell honey, I'm doing the same thing. He said if he gets up in the middle of the night he opens that door to see if the oxygen is on or off. So don't worry about it. We're going crazy together. Lord I love that man.
(7)

Lisa, it will take time to get over what you and you family has been though. You have a wonderful husband that loves you and your daughter, well words cannot say enough about the love they have. Give yourself time and go enjoy that Lake you have mentioned. Return here and tell us all what a great time you had. God Bless
(2)

Elisa ~ You certainly do have your fair share of challenges. But I can see that you are a very strong woman and will do what you need to do. So happy that you have found help! Yes this all shall pass and you are moving forward...soon this will all be like a bad dream. You are not broken sweetie...just tired because you have had too many things to worry about...no one should have to go through this....unfortunately this is often a part of our lives. God Bless you. Elisa! I am proud of you and you will be fine. A whole new life awaits you. Much Love & Hugs!

To the group~ ...I keep seeing the same names answering the various questions on this site.... and I just want to say I think you are all awesome!!!!!! Hugs!
(4)

Lisa - YOU ARE DOING GREAT THINGS! Keep resisting the forces trying to hoover you in again. I have had to develop a tough skin as regards what others think of me, and how I relate to my mother, and sister. They have not walked in my moccasins. You can stand tall on the basis of what you have done and what you are doing, The truth will come out, and is coming out and some people are realising what it is,.Most of them will, eventually. The others can stew in their own juices.

The emotional reactions you and Doug are having to the changes in your home are another sign of how stressful it was, and, without being any kind of an expert, I think they are a form of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Counselling/therapy could help you deal with that. Positive self talk can help too. You have had a lifetime of abuse, and it is bound to leave some scars, and emotional "fall out". Getting your mum out of your home is one step, but getting her out of your heart, and mind, is another. That will take more than a couple of weeks. And there will be some ongoing issues, I am sure, that you have to deal with in some form. Any of these, as well as the physical reminders in your home can, and likely will, trigger your emotions. Your healing has started. Nurture yourself, do what you need to do to get past the pain, to lessen your stress, when triggers are present. You have a wonderful sense of humour which carries you a long way in the right direction. Remember it is OK to cry and let down your defences, as you go through the recovery process.
Big ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) and prayers. Joan
(4)

Lisa, it's not uncommon that people's brains can't grasp when the danger is over -- because part of you believes that it's its JOB to keep you safe. And that's true...what it doesn't realize is that the danger is no longer living down the hall.
There is a beautiful, simple and hugely effective technique called, Ask and Receive, created by a woman named Sandi Radomski. If you are interested, just say these words to yourself. They are five statements.
1. There is a part of my Being that already knows my mother no longer lives in my house, and I no longer have to be afraid of that.
2. That part of my Being is willing to inform the rest of me right now.
3. It is doing so now, with grace and ease.
4. My body, mind and spirit are receiving this information right now.
5. Information transfer complete.

Then you could do some of the of the following statements, as step one, and repeat the other steps as written above.

There is a part of my being that already knows it's safe to let go of the fear of her being in my home.

There is a part of my being that already knows I deserve to let go of the way I feel when I think of Mom being here.

There is a part of my being that already knows I did the best I could.

There is a part of my being that already knows how to claim myself back for myself and my husband and children.

After each statement, go through each of the four others, before going on to the next statement. You may notice lots of things: waves of relief, tears and then no more tears, pretty quickly, lots of yawning, maybe even some burping, or just more and more relaxed. Or all of the above. If I knew how to post a link here I would, but you can google Sandi and this technique for more information. It's extraordinary in its gentle healing, in my experience.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter