Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Lisa, you should be so proud of yourself. You've done your very best to help your mom. She was made the way she was I think, and no matter who deals with her will find out how she really is and it didn't happen overnight.
About that room, I say leave the door open, paint it a lovely favorite, bright or soothing color, change the drapes, make it sitting (t.v.) room or reading room or office. Totally do a make over and with each step, think/know that it is also changing you. Be sure to have uplifting music on when you do it too. BE HAPPY! You ARE a good person and you deserve GOOD things to happen in your life. Hugs to you, your hubby & daughters!
(4)

Well, camping has been cancelled till next Wednesday. Nothing to do with mom. Doug has a meeting with a client tomorrow and another Tuesday. He can get out of Tuesday's but not tomorrow. But that's ok. This time it's for our own reasons. And beths thrilled we can go to the church picnic now.
(4)

Your Beth sounds like a wonderful young woman.
(1)

Lisa, I have read your story and all the wise advice and comments from the beginning to the end. You are an inspiration to many people. I was looking on here because I wanted to find out how others are dealing with their parents. My husband's mom has been living with us for 9 years. We had to fly out to another state to pack her up and sell her house in one week and fly her back with us. She had a friend who was checking in on her and she ended up in the hospital when she kept forgetting to take her meds for diabetes/high blood pressure/kidney problems. We had tried to get her to live with us 2 years previously when my father-in-law passed away, but she changed her mind the day before she was supposed to get on the plane and wasted the ticket. My husband is an only child, so we felt she would love to come live with us in our warmer climate and would be happy. Wrong! We should have set her up in a nursing home in PA.
For the most part, she is quiet and stays in her room. She has a beautiful room in our home with a table to do her puzzles and a lazyboy chair and tv. She has her own bathroom. She has a lot of health issues and dementia, but is mobile and symptom free with all her medications. We have tried to do the best for her physically. The first thing we did when she came was sign her up for senior daycare to get her out for activities. She gets out more than we do. We are the ones who always feel trapped because we can't take any trips without lining up relatives to stay with her.
I walk on eggshells around her because if I get into any conversations with her, she dredges up everything from the beginning of time of what she is unhappy about. When she first came, I made suggestions to help make her life easier but was always told "This is the way I've always done it". So I keep conversations short and don't ask anything that would get her going. She has dementia and can't remember anything so we have to remind her to do everything. If my husband tells her, she smiles and takes it well. If I say anything, she gets angry. She smiles at him and talks. With me, she doesn't even make eye contact. She has always felt her son made a mistake marrying me and just told me that again yesterday, which is why I got on here. My husband and I are Christians, but my husband was a Catholic growing up, so she has always been mad about that, even though she doesn't have any interest in going to church herself. She and her sisters had sourpusses at our wedding because we didn't have a priest at our service, only our own Baptist minister. She keeps telling me I hated her from the moment I met her. If I hated her, would we have taken her into our home? She is the most spiteful, petty woman and always has been. My husband said she and her sisters held so many grudges against each other that they argued at a funeral and didn't talk for 8 years. She feels she should come before me. My husband and I bought this house brand new 11 years ago and our memories in this home are of his mom causing problems between us. I don't even remember what our marriage was like before she came into the picture. All the things that my husband does for her are things that I have suggested for him to do. She doesn't realize that I am the one who makes sure all the meds are ordered, purchased and organized. I buy her special groceries. I keep up with her banking. I have never minded taking care of her. I just wish she would show a little appreciation with a smile or a thankyou or a how are you doing today? She NEVER initiates conversation with me herself, only my husband. It just makes me feel like an outsider in my own home.
But I feel fortunate that we have not had to go through what you have, Lisa.
When we get to the point of placing mom in assisted living or a nursing home, I now have some good information about which resources to call.
I am sure you have helped a lot of people who have been reading your story. And, yes, you should write a book someday. You are a survivor!
(6)

Of course you did great, and as far as the contemp in her voice, are you sure it was directed toward you... Poor Shelly may be ready to throw in the towel in a few weeks... all the lies your mom is telling is making her job harder....poor thing.... so don't worry about the tone of Shelly's voice, she'll be dealing with your mom and she won't be able to keep the mask in place forever, her true side will show...but you did awesome.... contemp - 1
support - a gazillion..... YOU WIN....
(4)

Thanks ladee! Your right, I win!!!!
(2)

Hi kickers: that woman will have the twitch in no time. Lisa, you did great, don't give it a second thought. The nerve of her to come off at you from such a place! Right now all you have to do is keep the new boundary in place. You have taken a huge step-bunches of them-it will feel odd, uncomfortable, unfamiliar for a while but we know you'll get to a place where things feel safer and more comfortable. Give yourself time-it took a lifetime and two years and 2 mo's to get this far, and it' going to take a while to get re-centered &back in balance. Thank God for Doug, your girls and his family! Maybe a little sign for the door of the empty room- "THAT CRAZY WOMAN DOWN THE HALL DOES NOT LIVE HERE ANY MORE"!!! I like all the feedback you're getting. We love and care about you, Superfamily. Get the capes out, ride the bikes, have a L I Tea, sing, paint, dance, Look forward to the lake, rest, sleep, relax, read, hug your family!
(4)

I just see so many permanent twitches on the faces of those who have taken on the task of fighting your mom's battles and taking care of her needs. Can you imagine the courtroom? By the time the case is over, the judge will be twitching too. Well, better them than you. The only two that will be twitchless with be the two twits in the front of the courtroom, your mom and your nephew.

Lisa, I'm glad you talked to your husband and found out that he was going through the same thing. It's the affect of the trauma you have both endured. It doesn't end the minute she leaves the house. That's not possible.

I think about how my life will be after my dad no longer lives with us and it's hard for me to even imagine how I will pick up the threads of my life. It's there, kind of, but it seems like it's in the past, like I left it behind for too long. I'm going to need time to get reacquainted with myself. I know that sounds weird, but it's the best I can explain it for now.

I'm going to try what JaneB suggested. I actually cut and pasted her comment on another thread. Of course I gave her credit for the suggestion. I think she is right, that there is another part of us that needs to be empowered to explain or reassure our honed reactions that the danger has passed. We need to reunite our fractured self.

After all, when you get to the point where all your energy goes toward being able to endure, you have to shut down other parts of yourself. I guess it's like rebooting your computer or defragmenting it and getting things back in order. Nevertheless, we are not machines, even if we have felt like one for a while.

On the bright side, we are so fortunate to have the opportunity to regather our self and take the time to love the parts of us that we had to turn away from. There is a special gift in learning to sooth that part of you that has been left out. It's like tending to an over tired child who just needs to be reassured and rocked for a while. It's so good to be able to visualize that and love yourself.

I hope we all have a good nights sleep and a better tomorrow. Love you all, Cattails.
(2)

Kimbee: You are me are really hooked on those twitches. Haha. I love your statement, "it took you a life time, 2 years and 2 months to get this far." Many chapters to a life. Well stated. Cattails
(1)

Well I just received a call from detective from cas unit. They are going to meet with mom again tomorrow and asked if I would be willing to attend due to her age and avoid any possibility of anything being missed. He told me mam we do all the work. All I need from you is information. I said your working on a saturday for this? Mam, metro is on the job 24 /7. Swear I don't know where my minds gone. I told him I'll do my best to be there. What do you think girls?
(0)

Just provide information. You will have a cop there which should make Mom behave. If she doesn't, tell the cop you need to go, and they can call you with questions. Assist the cops, and think of it that way. That is my advice.
Then come home, have a glass of wine. And start planning the redecorating of that room you need to reclaim.
(3)

Thanks cat, yes I love the twitches too, our Lisa has a great way with words! Lisa-love the great way u express ur self, not 2 mention the way u r moving forward from abuse to a new life of peace n calm. Cat, I also loved your "overtired child who just needs to be reassured and rocked" comment. I feel that is part of what this thread and all of you ladies do for me. Because of all of u, i can hold on 2 part of me and my prior life while holding in the moment with my mom...so thank u, all of you. Luv and hugs, Kim.
(2)

Lisa: It probably would be a big help to "Metro" if they could interview your mom and come away with an accurate statement. I think it would be good for you to sit in and help them get that accomplished.

I guess my concern is that you don't end up having to go to court and all that. So I guess I am saying, go to the meeting, make sure your mom's statement is accurate. Make it clear to the cops that you've had enough of all the family dramas and that you do not intend to become further involved.

Good luck, Cat
(5)

Kimbee, I feel the same! When I log off after being with all of you on here I feel such peace , and so calm. Like I mentioned earlier, still having problem waking in that dark hole. I put a note on my nightstand. It's the first thing I saw this morning. Just 2 words. SHE'S GONE. So I laid there another five minutes. Heart wasn't racing, still felt the knot in my stomach. But only as if I was on a ride and the ride made my stomach tingle. I called Doug and told him I'm putting one on his that says IT'S SAFE TO GO PEE. heeheehee. I think I'll do it. I'm thinking she's gonna bring up my telling the hospital they need to keep her. I want those men to have no doubt why she was removed from my home. Good grief, it was the advice their own investigator gave me. But I refuse to let this interfere with any of our plans. Doug and I are out of here Wednesday morning. If they can't get what they need from me by then(received another call from det. Changing day to mon or tues) they will have to arrange another time. While I've been here she is hitting redial continuously. Already turned my cell and beths off. When I answered the first one she informed me she received the letter from bank. The money will not go back in her account until together they have successfully prosecuted him. No backing out now mom. Doug has told her he's in meetings, don't call his phone again. That worked. Guess I need to make call to mil, and Jen to let them know house phone being turned off and cell phone turned down. Just leave a message and I'll keep checking it. She's gone, she's gone, she's gone......
(4)

OMG, it just never ends! Do whichever suits u. If u go, let them handle everything. When they ask u stuff, can u flip it back to mom? (mom, didn't u give card 2 nephew for cig's?). Mom's emotional blackmail has some really long reach; here we have stay involved VS appear as less than wonderful citizen. How would u advise a friend? Really I don't think she will miss stuff cause of her age, but rather cause of her skewed views. Lisa, honor your values AND your needs...u make good decisions. Sorry u have so many to make. At some point, the others will have the current status n u will b more distant. If you had POA, it would go on 4 ever, maybe that's the real lesson here? Hugs and happy evening2 u, kim
(2)

Absolutely-don't let it interfere w plans!...
(1)

Is there a possiblity that they can take the report and then call you and verify things... ???? There is nothing they can do if you say no, and who cares what they think..or if , God forbid, they have to WORK to get this information....It's not rocket science here, she gave him the card, he stole money... if you participate in this, is there a possibility they can then call you to court, if it ever goes there???? Just one thing to keep in mind Lisa, with her there will always be "one more thing".... do what feels right to you... what if every time they , who ever THEY might be in any given situation, needs clarification for something, are you going to have to get involved....??

Guess I am just wanting it to really be OVER for you... projecting my own "NO WAY" into this... lol..... let us know what you decide, we'll support you, but just keep an ear out for the "next" thing... then we'll tell you enough is enough..... remember...YOU WIN......
(1)

Wow!!! I must say, you had other choices, when you realized she was $2000 in debt, but that is all hind sight now...I do give you much credit for trying to salvage and form some sort of a relationship....It sounds to me as if your mother does have some form of dementia though....I'm not any kind of expert, by any means, but just the paranoia, and the fact that she is on home oxygen, and still is making a poor choice to smoke??? Sounds like she's on the dementia track, and the fact that she operates without a filter on her mouth, where 'you and your family' are concerned is another sign........I would definitely talk to a social worker, and perhaps get that court order, and have her removed from your home.......That is a terrible way to have to live, when you had nothing but good intentions.......What are her medical issues?? If she would happen to land herself in the hospital anytime soon, you could deal with all of it, directly from the hospital with the social worker, that's onboard 'there'....Good Luck to You....and God Bless!!!
(0)

Good heavens frazzled. Heeheehee. Here we go again. If u noticed, yours is the 588th post. She's long gone from my home. Oh, are those my angels singing and clapping........
(9)

Any information you give while the cop is there will be in the report. If the prosecuter determines that the best way to prosecute your nephew requires your testimony, then you will be required to go -willingly or by subpoena. (No, I'm not a lawyer but I watched enough Law & Order, and Life Time movies.)

Lisa, my sister made today - Saturday - my and her 2 grandkids (1 yr and 8 months old) day. She treated all of us to breakfast and Underwater World and then shopping and finished it off at Hagaan-Daas. We were limited in our time because my curfew begins at 3pm. So, it was quite hectic trying to squeeze everything in. And she absolutely refused to let me pay for my share.

Anyway, while she was driving, I mentioned that I used to think my life was bad - with the parents and no help from sis/bros. I mentioned this website and told her that other caregivers are having it worse! Uhm...I mentioned your story. And I was laughing as I told them that your mom called the adult protective services on you. Sis and her daughter gasped. Then I said WHY she called them and I started laughing again. They didn't think it was funny...So, I had to backtrack and give more detail. I guess one needs to read from the beginning to get the humor!

Lisa, I do believe you have a wicked sense of humor. And so does a LOT of commentors on this website. Yesterday, while I was driving home after work, I reflected about my life before and after this website. I actually giggled a lot as I read various Discussions. It hit me that cat and you and everyone have a wicked sense of humor - which I also have. Except, my family says that I am sarcastic or mean. Like when I was laughing when you took away your her "privileges. " My family would not see the humor in it. I thought it was funny. Gotta go. Another marathon of pamper changing. I'm soooo glad this will be the last 2 for today. The sooner I change their pampers, clean the trache and stomach tube - the sooner they can sleep and I have "my time." Later!
(3)

And, I thought I had a bad situation. Honey, This is terrible for you and your family. But, God knows what you are going through. He answers prayer. I had to take my mother outside to my table and talk to her about GOD when she was trying to sue other members of my family. I told her that she needed to ask forgiveness, and that GOD loved her, but she must make things right with him to go to HEAVEN. My mother was very mean, and hurtful to me and my family, but she had dementia, paranoia, and anxiety. You have been going through abuse from her for many years, and if there is any way you could talk and pray for her, in her presence, with another prayer partner, it could ease your mind. Leave it in the hands of our Lord. I do not recommend giving up on your mother. I did, and another companion came in and took advantage of her. If I had it to do over, I would make better decisions on what to do. Keep the faith, and answers will come to you. If you have a pastor that you confide in, have him come pray for her. My mother called the sheriff department for nine years to report flowers that the neighbor had sprayed, in her minds state, and finally she called and reported the neighbor had stolen a picture off of her wall. In her last year she claimed her companion's daughter in law had stolen two hundred and fifty pair of shoes, but mother did not have that many shoes. God will let you know what to do, or he will change the situation for you and your family. I wish that I had my mother back with us, but she has passed on and I am dealing with the companion who took money and personal items from her. Nothing meets our understanding in situations like this. You must have a very understanding husband. I know, regardless of what she had done to you, you love your mother. I know how it is to loose other family. I, too, am the only one left of my immediate family. All things aside, we have a heavenly Father, who loves us and will always be there for us. I turned my concerns over to him. He took care of the situation, and at least I was able to be with her as she passed on to be with him.
You are the only one to make a decision in this matter. You know somewhere in her heart is "LOVE", because God gives us all a portion. I will include you in my prayers. KEEP YOUR FAITH........God does not mean for your mother to rule your family. Go out with your family and have at least one day a week to find someone to come stay with her. When she realizes you and your family will not be bullied by her, maybe she will appreciate how much you do for her. I had to stand up to my mother when I knew she was wrong. The soft side of her heart caved in. Your mother does love you, even though the hateful side speaks. Let's pray......

Father, Forgive her for speaking hateful mean things to the one who Loves her, and has suffered in this time of care. Father, I ask for peace in her mothers heart, healing in her time of illness, and GRACE be with us in our time of need. Father, Allow us to come to the throne of Heaven and lay our cares on you. We know you have power over all things and we thank you for each Blessing we receive. God Bless and Keep you.....
(1)

My dear truex, you sound like a wonderful person. And I'm so glad you can turn to god for spiritual healing. My belief is god helps those who help themselves. And honey at this point god is about to get a very strong worded letter from me. And that's all I got to say about that.
(5)

sjtruex, did you by any chance read the entire 500+ messages in this thread?
(3)

Lisa: I think Ladee had some good thoughts. How hard is it to understand, "She gave him the debit card and he stole her money.

Another thing is that you were not a witness to things that took place. For example, you were not there when your mom gave him the debit card and you were not with the nephew when he used it. The only defense the nephew has is that he will claim your mom gave him the card and said he could use it for himself.

Ladee is right, there will always be one more thing. I support whatever decision you make, but I'm taking a softer stance on your involvement. Maybe it is time to say no more. Something to think about.

Hugs, Cattails
(1)

OK, Point taken. Different strokes for different folks. I am new to this site and I see no need to be hateful. I will remove my self from this site if I am offending others. I mean no harm and only offer prayer when needed or wanted. Obviously, My way of coping is different. Sorry.
(0)

Oh good heavens girl!!! If your offended please forgive me. I believe in god! I love god! I talk to god!!! But guess what? He's NOT going to walk in my front door and say ok Lisa, this is what your going to do! I took those steps with these amazing women on here who opened their hearts and swooped me in and have guided me with their wisdom and with their help I'm am taking giant steps to get my life back to where I was two years ago. And guess what? When I felt at rock bottom? I DO believe god had a hand in my picking up my iPad and start surfing the net. And honey, if your mom feels she needs more shoes? I can hook her up with someone. And if you read all of this thread , that statement will make sense to you. Snicker snicker snort snort.
(5)

Suffuse, my apologies. I just realized you said your mother passed on. Gods taking very good care of her till you meet again. My condolences.
(1)

Hi everybody!
If U R new here, Lisa already moved her mom out--go back and read the thread from the beginning--Lisa and her family are an amazing model of strength and grace, and U can see the wonderful amount of support N luv available here...

Now then, Lisa I hope you woke without the stomach knot or tingling this am! I
liked the sign for Doug!

Breathe, she's gone, going to the lake, not our problem....happy day!
Luv u all, kim
(4)

Jeanne

RE: Elsa

Have read all posts. It is easy to tell someone else what they should do when you are not walking in there shoes. I get it. If you do not fully have LOVE for another person, be it mother, brother, daughter, son, etc. , then by all means kick them out. My mother lived with us for nine years, and hateful actions from her was not the word for it. It was pure "Hell on earth". And I did make that decision to say, " That is enough!"
I did the mental warrant and they took her to the ward and let her out within five hours, after telling me she would be kept for seventy two hours and evaluated. I am just saying, " you need to be prepared for the system to let you down", ADPS told me they could not do anything for her, until she became a threat to herself or others. Due to this fact, I had to set and watch her be taken advantage of by a companion that was just after her money. MY GOD, two days before she had the massive stroke, she was sick and crying that she wanted to go home. He ignored the signs and made her stay in the hot sun on a golf course to please him. This was reported to me by the staff at the golf course,while mother was lying in the hospital on life support. He should have taken her to the hospital, that day. But, instead he ignored the signs, and took her to Walmart on Wednesday, and she fell over in the car from the massive Stroke. If she had been with us, there might have been a chance for her to recover. When she had the stroke, he took her to the rent house and tried to take her into the house, then she fell out of the car. He had to get a neighbot to come help him get her up. The neighbor is the one who said, " you need to get her to the hospital, something is not right." Two hours later she was in the hospital in ICU with life support, and no chance to come out of it. My mother's last words to me were, " I RUE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN", all this because I tried to get her some help. Above all else, this was my mother, and I love her. Only one difference between my situation, and this one, My mother passed away this May, not even a month ago, and now I regret going off on her. The ill feelings between us is the hardest part of grieving. If you can live what you do, then do it. Elsa is angry now, as I was, but later thoughts of what she does, will come back to haunt her, in the end. No parent could have been more hateful, or meaner than my mother. I realize it is hard to cope with in your own home, because I have been there. I was lucky that my mother was not bed ridden, but mothers mind had been affected by numerous strokes, leaving dementia. Elsa obviously had other issues from the past that are taken into account in her decision. Anger is normal, regret will come next, then the time to ask forgiveness is required. You have no idea what has happened to her mother to cause her to be the way she is. My mother was angry because her mother was taken away to a State Hospital when she was two years old. She was angry because in 1929 she was tossed around to different relatives to live. I watched my mother physically abuse my dad, mentally abuse my sister, and both of these affected my brother. My brother committed suicide because of the way my mother was.

So, My comment on Elsa's problem, is from years of experience. I really did not have to read all the almost 600 comments to know what she is going through.

If Elsa wants to write a letter of God, out of anger, she needs to be careful what she says. As I have said, God already knows what she is going through. God puts us in situations that will make us stronger, in the end.
At the end of the day, we must ask ourselves, "Have I done all I can do to please God?" I DO NOT THINK ANYONE SHOULD BE TELLING ELSA WHAT TO DO WITH HER MOTHER. SHE SHOULD BE DOING WHATEVER SHE FEELS IN HER HEART. PRAYING ABOUT IT FIRST FOR GUIDANCE. I hope there are others on this site who can relate with my views. If she makes a decision on what others think, then how can she accept the outcome? In no way am I telling her what to do.
Good luck with whatever decision you make, Elsa. God Bless You and Yours.
(0)

Sjtruex... not that I have to speak for lisa, but in the end, she did not do what WE said, she did what she felt was best for all concerned.... it always amazes me that the ones that send the longest prayers are the ones most easlily offended.... and she let you know she felt strongly that God has his hand in her finding like minded folks to support her thru her decsion making....and if she feels guilty, well, we'll deal with it together.... that's what we do here... together we find the strength to do what has to be done...
I am very sorry for the loss of your mom, and under circumstances that could have had a different outcome if handles properly..my heart hurts for anyone that looses someone they love....
Your comments were appreciated, but by you not knowing the full story.... it simply came across as preaching,and I am speaking for myself here.... and because you didn't read the other posts you didn't get the sense of Lisa's humor..... but all that being said, I am here to tell you I DO NOT LOVE my father.... just because he was a sperm donar doesn not automatically entitle him to my love.... do I feel guilt and shame, not in the least...I am not bitter or angry, I'm simply indifferent... his is anwering for his life and I will answer for my own....
I apologize to everyone on this thread for putting my pesonal stuff out there, but I do get weary from 'the easily offended'.....
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter