Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Same here cat, that's a riot! I needed that smile so badly. My mil called and told me some horrible news. My fil has bone cancer. I had her put him on the phone. He was fussing because she told me. He's known for a bit. His told me they are urging him to start chemotherapy. That put up a red flag. So I asked him are you considering not taking the treatments. I just don't know girl. He told me to keep this to myself. Dougs party is tonite and he dosen't want to ruin it. I told him that's fine. I understand. I also understand this is his news to break. But please, you need to do it soon. I've always been close to my mil, so it's not really odd that she turns to me with the news and for help with all the paperwork. So family meeting Friday night.
(0)

Oh, Lisa: I am so sorry to hear this news. Maybe the strain of this knowledge is what your MIL is really angry and afraid about. Maybe she feels like she needs to be strong for him. Who knows. It would be devastating under any circumstances.

It touches me deeply that she called you and bless your sweet FIL. Have a wonderful Birthday celebration today.

Sending you love and prayers. Cattails
(1)

Jen and I just sat here discussing just that cat. She only knows because she was sitting here while I was on phone. Our thoughts too are she has put her needs on the back burner to deal with his needs. Why wouldn't she? That's what she has done for her family always. So now I'm hoping when she sees that we will all come together to deal with this there is plenty left in us to care for her too. I've told Jen dry your tears and put a smile on your face and take joy in tonite. If only we could forever protect our children from the harshness of life. So I'm off here for now. Lots to do in 5 hours. Lord, if told so many lies to my Doug in the last 24 hours about our plans. Heeheehee
(2)

Hi Lisa, I'm so sorry about your PIL (parents-in-law). You had the strength, courage and wits to get your M (sorry, I forgot what her acronym was) to live on her own. This time with PIL, you have the combined strength and courage of Doug and his family to handle each day of their crisis. Just take it one day at a time. I hope Doug's surprise party is a blast. Take care!
(4)

Hi everyone, the party was a success!!! He was so surprised. We received a phone call 10 minute before we left the house. My fil best friend died at 5 o clock this evening. They have been friends for 60 years. So after the surprise we took them both in the house to tell them. Then while Doug and sibs stayed in house I went out and told the family. Very sad for all who knew him. Everyone told their favorite memories of him and laughing. They stayed just a bit and one of the grandkids drove them home and another followed. The party went on and it was the best time. After everyone went home all the kids and spouses were able to sit and talk about fil. While I was telling the family, fil told the kids of the bone cancer. What a night. Tomorrows another day. Already everyone is drawing strength from each other. And we will be dads strength. And there wasn't one, but TWO pig eaten cakes. I asked her tonight when we get the recipe. She said soon. Hmmmm, we' ve heard that before. ;)) Good night friends. Have I mentioned lately how blessed we are to have you in our life. Love, Lisa. Oh before I forget, Doug said thank you for the best wishes and he's sorry you missed his "it's my birthday dance" he treated us all to. He's a riot. The female cousins turned the hose on him.
(5)

Lisa and Doug, glad to hear Doug's birthday was fun. So sorry however to hear your dad is having health problems. I am glad that you all will be able to spend more time and love with them, now that lisa's mom is not down the hall. You are an amazing family, a true inspiration-all of you. I hope the loss of Doug's dad's long-time friend won't be too hard on him. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers. I hate we didn't get to see the birthday dance! Luv N hugs, kim
(2)

So, so glad the party was a huge success - and how could it not be with Doug doing the birthday dance, to the tune of a hose, and TWO pig eatin' cakes.It sounds like a lot of fun, despite all the bad news your family has been getting. I want the recipe when you get it - if that is allowed.
Sometimes in life, it seems that we just deal with one thing, and another gets thrown at us.
I took a deep breath when I read about you getting the news of your fil's best friend dying. That combined with fil's, and mil's health issues is a lot to take in. It reminded me of a 5 year period when we had 20 deaths of friends, and family - too many of them young, and many trips to funerals. It started with my ex's sister committing suicide at the age of 33. The next year we had back-to-back, two young teens killing themselves at New Year's, and it all went downhill from there. A few years later, my youngest (who since has joined them) told me, at the tender age of 13, "Mum, I have my funeral outfit ready for the next one." It became part of our lifestyle. My marriage broke up in the middle of those 5 years. I am glad that you and Doug are so solid, and that his family will gather round. You need one another's support going through such times.
I was going to comment on "time alone", and you mentioned that you needed it. For years, I didn't need much time alone - working, studying, having 4 kids, managng a household of six and sometimes extras, I grabbed a little solitude here and there, and it was enough. As the number of losses (of people) mounted, I found I needed more, and when my Gordie died, I became a virtual hermit. There was just too much that had to be processed in my heart, and mind, and I needed the time alone to do that, and I still do - much more than I did before. For the first few years, I found it hard to be in large groups, especially relative strangers, as I coudn't concentrate on the conversation, and interactions. I remember the birthday party of one of my grandkids, a few years after Gordie died, when, for a while, I was able to break out of this. One kid batted a balloon at me, so I batted it back, and soon all the kids were batting balloons at me, and I was doing a decent job of fielding them all for a while, and we laughed. It was fun. Having fun is important in all of this, and you, and your family are great at that. Don't be shy to give yourself time alone, either, if you need it. Even if you are not consciously thinking about what is going on, it takes us a while to process the information about illnesses, and deaths of people who are close. One afternoon, during those 5 years, I was playing computer games, and found myself crying for 3 uncles and 2 cousins. Of all of them, because of the distances involved, I could get to only one funeral, and, that afternoon, I couldn't dististinguish my grief for one over another. I missed them all. You are going through a loss of types with separating from your mother (again) having opened you heart, and home to her a couple of years ago. Breaking bonds with a mother is not a small thing. Now you are looking at going through some hard times with your fil, and mil. These are people you love, and who have stood by you. What affects them will affect Doug, and other famly members. A lot is happening to people who are very significant in your life - good and bad. Give yourself what you need, to get through all of this - and if some of that is time alone, then take it. As well, you have a very demanding, and sometimes, very difficult, job. It is a lot, Lisa. Take care of you, and even treat you, taking time just for yourself to do something good for you - get a manicure, a pedicure, a massage, a candle-lit, scented, bubble bath, whatever would make you feel special, for you are. Always remember, Lisa, that you are special, in a very good way.
And for the Kick (Kiss lol) Ass Girls, you all are special too. :)
Hope everyone is having some fun, and lots of treats today.
Love and hugs ♥♥♥
Joan
(5)

Joan: My heart goes out to you. Losing a child changes your life forever. I'm sure it speaks to that sense of sadness (not depression but a general sense of sadness) that you mentioned a while back. You have weathered so much and come out on the other side. I'm sending you lots of love and hugs.

Lisa: Would love to see a video of Doug's birthday dance. You have a wonderful family to share life's journey with. I'm so happy that you are surrounded by so much love. Keeping your FIL & MIL in my prayers.

Hugs, Cattails
(1)

Good morning everyone! It has now been, I believe, 10 days since seeing DQ on that awful trip to the pharmacy. So peaceful here. We spent the day with PIL yesterday along with SIL. We read all the paperwork given to fil on his treatments. He has chosen to take the treatments. His first treatment is next Thursday. I'll have them there at 8 a.m. Lots of tears from MIL. sIL calling today to set up appt with dr so her and Doug can have a consultation. Fil is scared but resigned. He thinks this is it. Anyone his age won't survive any cancer at his age that requires chemo. Of course we disagreed with him.

Emjo, we too have been thru so many deaths in the last 3 years. I'm so sorry about your Gordy. And for you to have so much love in your heart to visit with us daily sharing your life, your wisdom. You touch so many lives. What a remarkable gift you give while dealing with so much sadness and stress from mom and sis.

I hope everyone has a great day today! And know everyone here at my home are sending tons of love to each of you!!! Lisa
(1)

Oops. Didn't proof read. Treatments start Tuesday, not Thursday.
(0)

Thanks Lisa

My Gordie left a legacy. I posted the words below on a grief board a few years ago. A classmate of Gordie's told me she would never have made it through college if Gordie hadn't paid for her books. Don't get me wrong. He was no saint. He was a young man who had his ups and downs, but, he also was a generous and loving person. That is what remains.in my heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This poem has been very special for me as it reminds me of my Gordie's generous nature.

Friday was Gordie's 30th birthday,- and this past week I took to heart the meaning of the poem, and gave away lots of love, particularly to my students. The response was so good - I got an "I love you", smiles and smiles and smiles, lots of good feelings, students sharing their lives with me, and the cherry on the top was a sweet, and very cute young man showing me quite clearly, but very nicely and properly that he had a crush on me. Oh, to be 50 years younger!

My Gordie - this is for you...

Now that I’m gone,
remember me with a smile and laughter.
And if you need to cry,
cry with your brother or sister
Who walks in grief beside you.

And when you need me,
put your arms around anyone
and give to them
what you need to give to me.

There are so many
who need so much.
I want to leave you something.
Something much better
than words or sounds.

Look for me
in the people
I’ve known and loved or helped
in some special way.
Let me live in your heart
as well as your mind.

You can love me most
by letting your love
reach out to our loved ones.
By embracing them
and living in their love.

Love does not die,
people do.
So, when all that’s left of me is love,
give me away as best you can.

author unknown

All my love

Mum
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cat - the sadness was there long before I had Gordie. It has been there since childhood. With Gordie, now, what is most constant, is the missing. It is hard to share with some one who hasn't, what losing a child is like. Yes, your life is changed for ever - you are changed for ever. Newer theories of grief talk about the changed relationship, not the ended relationship with your loved one. It works for me. I know without a doubt where my Gordie is, and that I will see him again, and I look forward to that day.
(2)

Joan, how beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with us. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORDIE!!!!
(1)

Thanks Lisa.. Actually his birthday is in October, when I posted that; but good wishes are never wasted. I know he is smiling his wonderful "light up the room" smile, down on us. You will meet him one day. :)
(1)

you reap what you sew! this is what your mom has chosen to do.
you are doing nothing wrong by controling her meds.
i know, cuz my mom has the same issues with pain meds,
don't feel guilty, just keep doing what you are doing!
(0)

put her in assisted living/ nursing home.
then she can see how nice she had it!
(0)

Dear Beverly. It's been a long journey. She's out of my house.
(1)

Thanks for the welcome, eldestdaughter - and sorry for commenting without having read the thread - a glass of wine+exhaustion=jumping the gun regarding posting. I have been reading through the posts - I'm trying to get used to how this works, as I'm not too familiar with forums, posting, etc., but I already feel like I don't have the right to complain about my situation - after seeing what all of you deal with on a daily basis. I hope to check in here frequently, and thanks again for being so nice, and making me feel welcome, everyone!
(1)

Terry55: thank you for reading this thread. As you read, my situation was an abusive one. But never, EVER think that what you are going thru isn't just as important to everyone at AC. Like myself, there is a reason you got on the Internet. The men and women on this site are great listeners and have so much wisdom and advice to spread. So don't you go anywhere. You are important to us! Lisa
(3)

Hi Lisa, Any special plans w PIL's this weekend? They might enjoy something special that's not tiring-a favorite spot or restaurant, a little diversion of some kind. It may be a while until you can do stuff like that for them. Just a thought. Some people have less side effects from chemo than they expect, but everyone seems to have a fair amount of pre-tx anxiety. Of course we all hope and
pray FIL will do well w tx and have best possible outcome w zero to minimal side effects. Lisa just as you wish you could shield your childrenfrom life's harsh realities, we too wish you did not have so much to endure. You certainly have an unrelenting spirit of grace and love and class. You continue to inspire us! Do something special for yourself today. As always, we kick-ass girls are in your corner, sending love and hugs, white light, energy and prayers from around the country (and world, it seems!). :-) Lisa, you are amazing!
(1)

Hi kimbee. We spent the day with PIL wed. Today I helped finish up the paperwork that needs to be given to dr for his cancer insurance. While there hid dr office called with the date for his skin cancer surgery to be removed from his face. Everyone agrees that we need to wait till after this week to schedule this. We need input from his cancer dr whether he should wait or proceed. Like I always do, I've been reading about chemo and have learned it never affects 2 people the same. So, naturally we will have to see how his body handles it. Mil dosen't cook hardly anymore, so we are also planning meals to take to them. Mil is shedding a lot of tears and we know fil is scared and we can tell it's starting to aggravate him. But there's simply no way to stop her tears. She loves the man. And I imagine her fear is intensified by her fears of her own health., which she is in denial to everyone but him. The perfect scenario for the weekend would be to take them out somewhere for the day but we still have a few more days of hot weather. It hit 105 today, so not an option.same tomorrow and Sunday. Sil is out of town till Monday. They had a weekend already planned at the lake so we told them to go. I've been racking my brain the entire day how to approach my mil on maybe trying to hide her tears from him, but I would feel like an ass. I'm at a loss. So if you girls have any ideas? Tomorrow we are taking some movies (comedies) and watch a couple with them. But they won't hold her attention long. I've never seen her this distraught and it's tearing us up to see.
(0)

Lisa, these two have been married a long time and have their own way of handling things.... let fil speak to her, they may be talking about this when they have their alone time.... or you may go to him in private and tell him you are sorry mil is not handling things well. But I don't know how a wife handles this, do you? Especially after her own bad news.... I'm just putting myself in their place, and I think I would want to be allowed the dignity to work it out amoung ourselves.... but maybe others will have better ideas...... don't get lost in trying to 'fix' things.... people are going to be all over the place emotionally with all that is going on... and double check that you aren't doing all this busy work to ignore your own feelings..... hugs
(3)

I think yur right ladee. 56 years they have dealt with all the ups and downs. Think we need to continue to be there for them as we have the last few days. Hopefully they will enjoy the movies and fish dinner tomorrow night. Fil friends funeral is in the morning. So tomorrow will be especially tuff.
(1)

I agree with Ladee. Your PIL do have their own way of talking to each other and facing the issues of life. I don't know how long your MIL knew about the bone cancer before you all were told, but that has to explain a lot of her anger and frustration, maybe even a double bank payment. Not saying that she doesn't have the onset of dementia; certainly sounds like she does, but they need to be together as husband and wife and hold each other and share their support and fears. That's sacred territory.

Lisa, do you know anymore about his cancer. You said bone cancer, but where in his body? Do you know how it came to be diagnosed. Was he having pain in his leg, back or what?

I feel so badly for them. Sending prayers to all. Love, Cattails

I
(1)

Hi Everybody! Lisa, Cat & Ladee are spot on, plus, even if it is getting on his nerves, he really needs her tears as much as she does right now. I think most wives, no matter their own health, would cry at a cancer dx. In our parents day, The C word meant only one thing. Think about her underlying emotions and address them-indirectly. The main one apparently being overwhelming fear-of his loss of health, or worse and the loss of his ability to care for her, if she needs him to; not to mention their impending loss of independence-their world has now been changed forever. Buckets of tears would be normal for now, no matter how difficult to watch or accept. Just keep showing you awesome super- family style of love and support. That will be the thing that comforts the tremendous sadness and fear the best. Keep showing them you have enough love and time to care
for them both, no matter how great the needs. Comedies were a good plan to, I'm sure they needed some diversion-even if they didn't laugh, or it didn't hold their attention, being together and having a semblance of normalcy surely was needed. Verbal reassurances that you all are in this together, and that you will be there for them every step of the way, address the underlying fears, even if the poo-poo what yo say, it WILL be helpful. No, you can't change cancer, but you can go through it w them being a solid rock in the face of awful uncertainty. We reminded my FIL often, especially when fearful or upset (he had dementia) that he was safe with us, that we loved him and are we were there for him, for anything he might need. We also reassure my mom this way, regularly. It seems very comforting for the giant fear factor that comes with dementia. So, don't try to stop the tears, but give frequent support and love. Quietly, try to keep a mental note of when bills should be paid and keep track of if it got done. Maybe offer to help set up auto bill pay service w the bank, if u think they'd consider that. Then it wouldn't matter if she doesn't matter if she's pre-occupied, and duplicate payments wouldn't be made. Get some "one less thing to do" strategies in place, as you are able. (Glad you're on the meals.) I know they are glad to have the support of your amazing family-all the time-but even more so now. We love you and hold you all close in our prayers.

I
(4)

Sorry, iPhone won't let me proof read on this site...
(0)

I just wanted to agree with what others have touched on...Lisa....I know you love your in laws very much and *THEY* know it too. BUT...I'm getting the sense of a shift from "fixing" things for your mom to "fixing" things for your in laws....Remember how we wondered what you would do to fill your time once your mom was finally out of your hair? Unfortunately, this situation has come up so you have had to shift gears, but you haven't had a lot of down time to pull yourself back into your immediate family. Some of the earlier posts described situations and asked questions that might be appropriate if the in laws were both unable to think for themselves...but my understanding is that father is mindful. While it's good to try and anticipate needs/problems...you might be over doing it a *little*...okay--please don't hurt me-- a *little more than a little*. You can let them both know that you are there to help and will be glad to do so if they just let you know what they need...but let them deal with this themselves in privacy unless they ask for help. Let her cry. It's a sad situation and it's scary. I'd be more worried if she weren't crying. Give them some space...keep in touch and keep the lines of communication open, but please don't hover or smother them with very good intentions. Don't replace one overwhelming situation with another one, especially when they are not asking you to. Give them space; you keep some space and focus on your immediate family, and try to get centered so that if / when they do ask for you help, you are more healed and able to help in a positive, healthy way. IMHO.
(6)

Cat: last year fil had blood test return that were not normal. They indicated cancer cells. So the short of it is they did a biopsy of his bone marrow. The cells were inactive. We were told that he could live for the rest of his life without these cancer cells going active. We don't understand why, but he will not tell us where the cancer is located in his bones. Out of the blue mil called me earlier to ask if we can come tomorrow because his siblings from the country were arriving. She said Lisa the cancer is in his blood too. We'll talk more tomorrow. Will you and Doug be sure to come? Of course we will. Both sil's have called us today. We did 3 way call. They are convinced we haven't been told everything. My thoughts? No prodding them. I'll have them there for his treatment at 8 Tuesday. Doug and sil will be there by 11. They already have the paper on file giving the 4 kids access to his information. At that time hopefully we will know everything. We just don't know at this point. I think what happened about today is mil called one of his sibs and they called the rest. It dosen't surprise me they dropped everything and came. And girls, poa was established 6 months ago. Both sil's have poa. Only finance, they refused to allow medical. All utilities are on automatic withdrawal. Whenever any financial decision is made, they call Doug and his brother. Tuesday night my sil made a statement that was so true. Our lives are changing. I understand what all of you are saying about backing off a little. My sil has the same concern. She pulled me aside to question if I felt strong enough to commit extra time these next few weeks. And believe me when I say I am. I did tell her I dont agree with the need to be there in their face these next few weeks. But girls, I'm a planner. I always have been my whole life. I went to the grocery this morning. They may not need or want dinner everyday. But it's in my meal plans. Same with sil. Really our only goal is to reduce any stress or worry. We KNOW if they had not told my fil he could not drive himself to his chemo treatment, we would know nothing. It hurts them that he has known for a while and didn't tell them. They just are dumbfounded. I'm not. I would never hurt my husband or sil. But I told them get over it. This is about him. It's about his feelings. I can't for one minute say I wouldn't do the same. But I do agree with them all. We have not been told everything, and I have a feeling we will hear it all from mil tomorrow. Maybe not. Maybe they've given the odds on surviving this. Maybe that's why all of the sibs are there tonight. And eldest, I understand what you are saying about no down time after DQ. And I am going into a situation I can't fix. I have the next 5 weeks off. I don't know to what extent my care will be needed. I so wanted a peaceful summer. Every bit of time I'm needed will be given with love. The circumstances are so different from mom. I am so scared.
(1)

It was in a plan that DQ was out of your life, so that you could focus on this wonderful family that has loved you from day one..... no one is saying 'don't get involved', a team of horses couldn't stop you from doing that... we're just saying, to take a little time for yourself everyday... even tho there is relief with DQ being gone, there is still adjustments to make and feelings to feel.... but do I trust you to take care of yourself... ABSOLUTELY , but this is what friends do, they jump on the bandwagon of love and support... and I think the meals are a great idea... when we are feeling powerless, cook.... please know Doug, you, your family and his is in our prayers... we're here for you... no matter what..... hugs across the miles..
(4)

Lisa, I have to be honest with you, I had a bad feeling about this from the beginning when your MIL first told you and it was clear they had known for a while. I understand you are a planner, but I think you will have to wait to hear all the info before you can begin planning. It's sounds like your FIL's cancer is more advanced than he let on. It may be he didn't want treatment when he first learned and it could be that his docs didn't have encouraging news regarding treatment.
Odds and quality of life may be the issue here.

After reading your thread earlier today, before your post, I tried to imagine how I would feel if it was my husband who received a bone cancer diagnosis. He's a healthy guy; the one whose blood pressure is always 120/70. In the last 4 months he's had two bouts with diverticulitis and it has really scared me. I feel so bad because I don't know why (medically not philosophically) this has happened to him and it can be serious. For the past year, my dad has been the focus and it has totally screwed up the way we live, exercise and eat. Add that to the 6 years previous and I know we have paid a price in stress, both physically and emotionally.

So I am thinking about your PIL and I would be so grief stricken and afraid if I were in her shoes. I would be afraid of losing my husband. The one person who has shared by history and knows me better than anyone. The other thing I would be afraid of is seeing him suffer; chemo, radiation, hospitalizations, nausea, weight loss, low blood counts, infections. Maybe I just know more than your MIL so I am coming at it from my perspective, but your FIL is an elderly man and it won't be easy.

You are a planner, maybe an anticipater, like me. I look ahead and see the possibilities. Doug will have a consult with the doctor...is it this Tuesday? Is this an oncologist he and your SIL are meeting with? Tell Doug that he needs to insist that he is fully informed as to the type(s) of cancer your FIL has and what protocol they follow for treatment. Here's where my mind takes me: (1) How advanced and what are the odds of survival. (2) What protocol do they use, meaning treatment. (3) Where to they get their direction on protocol? For example is it just the common treatment or is it vetted by the experts in the field. (4) Are there cancer centers that have more background and success in treating someone like your FIL. (5) If so, can they refer you and let the experts determine the protocol and then have it carried out locally?

I do think you have an important role to play. Get your MIL out of the house for lunch or shopping. You don't have to ask her any questions, just be there to put your arm around her when you are walking together. She will feel the love and if she opens up, just listen and tell her how she is the mom you never had and how much you love her. Doug might want to do the same with his dad. That one on one time is a break and talking is not so difficult when you don't have to worry about the feelings of so many who are listening. Your FIL may want to talk to Doug about his personal fears and thoughts about quality of life vs treatment. He may also want to say that he is worried about mom and what will happen to her. He may want to share what his choices are for end of life issues. He may not be able to say all of this to his wife or want her to carry those wishes out without support. These are conversations that they need to bring up and it's easier done on a one on one basis.

I DON'T think your PIL are in denial. I think they just haven't shared all they know. There is a reason for that and eventually it will come to the surface. Follow their lead on the emotional issues and research all you can on the clinical issues.

What you want is the best outcome. If a life can't be saved, there is palliative care that can improve life by keeping the patient as healthy as possible for as long as possible. This is just not the old palliative care that just dealt with pain control. It's a new concept now and it does the least hurtful treatment to stave off death while doing the most to make the patient feel well.

I listened to a great program a while back on NPR. It dealt with a woman who has a terminal form of cancer. She chose not to do the typical treatment in order to buy a little time. Instead she went with the palliative care and it is amazing how well she has done and continues to do. I will go back and find that program and send you the info so you can listen to it.

I have confidence in you. The more truth you learn, the more grounded your direction will be.

Love and Hugs, Cattails
(1)

Lisa, thinking of you. Prayers and hugs, kim
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter