Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Hi everyone: Just checking in. Lisa, thanks for the post on my wall. My dad was glad to see the dogs when we took them and lunch for a visit. I couldn't get him to eat much at all. He did feed the dogs a few french fries, but he was far from his old self. It really makes me sad to see him like this because I really think it is due to his missing being at our house. I feel so selfish for wanting my own life. Still, I feel I really need to get on top of my game and do what I need to do to improve my health and get back in control of my life. Hubby has a colonoscopy (sp) Tuesday. Keep us in your prayers.

Love to all.....Judy, know you've been so busy. Good to hear from you.

Cattails
(2)

Lisa: Sorry the house hunt has been a no go so far, but roofs and electrical are not cheap. Something better will come along. Glad you have your girl with you for a while longer. She needs her mom right now. Love you, Cat
(3)

(((((((cat)))))) it is not selfish to want your own life. You and your hubby need to care for yourselves too. Your dad may have declined anyway - do I hear some guilt there? Please know you are a responsible, caring daughter, and need to care for yourself and hubby too. Prayers for the colonoscopy to be fine tomorrow.
lisa -sorry to hear that jen is suffering a bit, but size 1 or 2????? That' pretty small -still I sympathize with her feeling her body is out of control, and her needing this treatment at such a young age. Hope they find a good place, but I agree, having her home right now is good.Hope the driving is going well - and no little monsters to deal with
judy, good to hear that David is better - prayers for him to be back to normal
kim - wondering how you and that bug are faring. That has been a bad session
everyone else - thinking of you...
Here, mother is needing some attention, so I will travel down there next weekend, and fit in an appointment or two for me. Had a good time taking my youngest grandson out to BK, and also yesterday at a surprise b'day party for a friend. Guess what the conversation rolled around to - parents and carng for them. One lady said she worried about her parents in their mid seventies. in a multilevel house running up and down stairs I kept my mouth shut. I don't think my kids worry about me at all, and that's OK. I like stairs. In the winter sometimes it is all the exercise I get. Leaves starting to turn yellow here, and I am NOT ready for a long cold winter, but it will come anyway.
Hope everyone is well.
love and ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))
Joan
(2)

Aww cat, I could tell you not to feel selfish, but you are going to anyway. Because of who you are. Emjo is so right. You are a wonderful daughter who loves her dad dearly. It's not wrong for you to want to enjoy the next chapter in your life. You are still there for your dad. Just in a different way. I was thinking, has the staff at nh introduced your dad to other gentlemen living there? Do they have plenty of activities to keep him occupied? I wish I could come up with some solutions for you to try. I have a friend who cared for her father for 6 years, and she made the leap and and moved him to a nursing home. It took him a long time to come to terms with this. Slowly but surely he embraced his new home. She was so relieved. So here's what we'll do. We'll have faith that your dad will adjust too. Give it some time. Big adjustment for him. And for you. Keep loving him like you do!!! I'll be thinking of Warren tomorrow and keeping him in my heart and my prayers. Love you friend! And love all my other kick ass sistas!!!! Sweet dreams everyone!! Lisa
(3)

ABOUT THE WRITER
Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.
Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.
Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything.. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked..

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep..
At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode.. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point.

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me.

'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade.. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really.. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent.. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies...
Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1.. 'Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!'

2.. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3.. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4.. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5.. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6.. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7.. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8.. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9.. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

12. 'God, now I know why I am not gay.'

And the best one of all:
13. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'

ABOUT THE WRITER
Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.
Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything.. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked..

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep..
At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode.. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point.

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade.. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really.. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent.. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

And the best one of all:

ABOUT THE WRITER
Colonoscopy Journal:

And the best one of all:

ABOUT THE WRITER
Colonoscopy Journal:

And the best one of all:

ABOUT THE WRITER
Colonoscopy Journal:

And the best one of all:
(1)

Well, you get the idea. Sorry it got posted so many times. Everytime I tried to cut and paste, nothing would show up; just a blank screen. So then I thought, hummm, what if I just hit submit. Wowza, there are my cuts and pastes. Hate when that happens. A friend of Warrens, who must be a physic, sent this to him today. Warren is using the same ingredients. Too funny.

Hey guys, my dad is not doing well. No interest in food or fluids. I think he may be coming to the end of his life. God bless his soul. Just breaks my heart.

Cat.
(4)

I have seen it before and it is still hilarious.

(((((((((((((((((((((cat)))))))))))))) I am so sorry about your dad. It does sound like he is winding dowm This is a hard time for you, I know.Not much I can do nut send ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) and prayers.
(1)

Hi my sistas, the bug is getting the upper hand. So did mom today. DH coming home from work so I can go back to the doctors again. More later.Thinking of you all and missing you lots. Hugs and prayers to you all, Kim
(2)

Kimbee: This has been going on for too long. Have a good talk with your doc, get blood work and put an end to this. If he/she can't come up with an answer, then get a second opinion. I'm worried about you. Love, Cat.
(1)

I'm so sorry cat. Feel my arms holding you across these many miles. Keeping all of you in my prayers. Lisa
(1)

Cat your post hadn't shown up here yet when I posted. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, keeping you close to my heart, sending prayers of comfort and love. I hope your DH survived the night of horror. I hadn't seen Dave Barry's synopsis but he's long been a favorite. I especially liked the last patient comment re: note for wife! And Cat, thanks for the encouragement to get straightened out. The issue w mom yesterday was she would not shower so we could get out the door tue am for fasting labs already scheduled n to do some things for her while out. Need more help around here...Laaadeeee! Every body stay safe, have a good day and if you r in the path of Issac, please don't stay put-get to a safer spot-now! Luv n hugs to all! Kimbee
(4)

Hi Everyone:

Well, hubby had his colonosopy (sp) today at 7:30AM. No problems beyond the diverticullitis. We are relieved to know that nothing more is going on.

Spent some time with my dad this afternoon. He did ok with breakfast, but was not much interested in lunch. He hardly responds to me when I'm with him. His voice is so soft that it's very hard to hear anything he says. Right now, I am just trying to tell him how much I love him and what a good dad he has been to all of us. I'd like that to be a part of what he hears daily. I must say that I will not be sad when he passes because I pray he will be whole and free. Watching him decline is the hardest thing. Love to all of you. Cat
(7)

((((((cat)))))) so pleased you and hubby are past this hurdle and things are looking good. I know when my dad passed, if was his time, and he knew it and so did I. His body just was not working well any more. Watching the declne is hard
more ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) Joan
(4)

Thanks Joan. I know you are right. Love, Cat
(0)

Oh, Cat, I'm sorry. This must be so hard for you. I love what you say to your dad every day. As a parent, I think if at the end of my life, my daughter told me how much she loves me and what a good mom I was, my heart would feel full and I'd feel like I had done the best I could with the people I love, and it was enough, I did well, and I would feel loved. Well done, Cat. You're a good daughter.
(8)

Cat, this brings tears, as I have walked in your shoes just 3 years ago. As I sit in my office now which is right across the hall from her room in the NH I reflect just how much and how often I told her I loved her and I will not forget the last time she said "Honey I love you too." I think those were her last words, and I can hear them today as well as I could then. Cat this is not an easy time and my heart goes out to you. Just keep telling him those 3 little words and know deep in your heart just how much you mean them. God Bless
(4)

Maureen, you are full of love and light and such goodness! Your father is so blessed to have you as a daughter. I have thought of you so often these past days. And I can only think when you made the decision to place dad at the nursing home, that god was giving you a little push in the right direction. You will be there to love and support your father, and at the same time you too will have support from the staff. I think that will be so important cat. Sometimes we all need help from those guardian angels that walk among us. Now you can concentrate on loving him thru his final journey. All of us are here for you. I love and have so much respect and admiration for you. Call out our names on these pages and we will be here. Love you friend, Lisa
(2)

Kim, I may be heading your way after today... long story short, two of the girls working are messy, back stabbers,liars and take themselves way to serious.... When I handed M her paper, I said, "must be nice to set on your ass".... girl was setting in the recliner all cocked back reading her paper.... no big deal, except the monitor was on and she heard me..... BOO F*CKING HOO...... she was livid when I went back thru.... was wondering what she was pissed off about now..... almost to my car and realized the monitor was on.... oh weeeeeelllll, I laughed all the way home.... but the daughter may not find it so funny..... I'll let ya'll know if I still have a job tomorrow..... hugs everyone....
(1)

Wow, I knew this site was a terrific support system but look at what it has done for this woman Survived2. I am seeing this thread started in April. I want to fast forward to some more up to date posts to see how this is going for Survived2. I hope she has a positive outcome with her dilemma.
(2)

I've been reading this discussion for sometime. Lots of support and strength here.
Now I have a question to ask all you smart people...
I have just recently had my brother come to live with me. He is brain damaged from a motorcycle accident. Do any of you great people now where I can find a online discussion group for this issue?
It is very hard to deal with the inknown and he came without instructions. LOL
I just got my Dad placed in a memeory care facility and then brother needed a home as his wife didn't want to be his "caretaker" any longer.
Thanks for being here, sharing and listening.
Karin
(1)

Hi everyone: Thanks so much for your supportive posts. My dad is "officially" dying. Of course I knew that. He is just not responding and is not interested in eating, etc. I was with him yesterday and then back today at lunch to feed him. HI took him out of the dining room, which is kind of noisy and he's so hard of hearing, to a private family room and fed him lunch there. He did eat better and drank his milk and his juice, but he just had this vacant look on his face. A while after lunch he wanted to lay down, so an aid helped me get him into bed.

When I went in today, he was on oxygen. This is new as of this morning. When the staff was getting him up, they did his vitals and checked his oxygenation which was at 81%. Not good, so oxygen was added.

I called my brothers and sister when I got home and told them I thought that dad was not going to be with us much longer so if they want to come up to see him, they should not waste any time.

I just got off the phone with his doctor. He wants to know what my wishes are on how we should proceed. My dad is dehydrated and has now spiked a low grade fever. He is congested. Doc can take him off the lasix due to dehydration, but fluids will likely gather in the lungs and add to the congestion. This will likely lead to pneumonia. So do we want to hospitalize him, do IV antibiotics and fluids or just keep him comfortable?

I felt like I had a giant stone in my gut, but I told his doc that I can't see the benefit to my dad to keep him going. I just don't believe it's what he would want. So we are going to go for comfort care only.

This decision makes sense to me, but it is so hard to say it out loud. I hate to see my dad like this, but I think he is tired and ready to leave this life. I would be grateful if each of you would say a prayer to God for him.

Love you all very much, Cattails
(5)

Oh, Cat... You're in my thoughts and in my heart.
(3)

Dear God: help Cattail's dad be calm And peaceful as he follows your will for him. Protect the hearts of his dear friends and family who love and support him remind them of their most woderful times and what a blessig dad has been to all of them. Give them strength to handle the days ahead, knowing they were good and faithful servants who provided love, compassion and kindness. Thank hou cor your blessings and comfort. In jesus's name we pray, Amen

Love you cat, let us know what else we.can do to support you through these difficult time ahead.

Much luv and hugs to all, kimbee
(7)

Thank you Judy and Kimbee. Kimbee thank you for the prayer you posted. I'd like to post one too.

Dear God: Bless this man who has done his best to be a good husband and father. Please comfort him in this time of transition. Please put your hand on his head and give him peace. Please put your arms around him and lift him out of his fear. Please let him feel your love and the love of his wife and children. Please help us all see him into your hands and in your light, love and freedom with out personal regret. Please help us to celebrate his joining with you in a better world beyond our comprehension. Dear God, please help me to remember what I was able to provide for him and my mom and not think of where I might have faltered. Let that burden fall from my shoulders. Please wrap my father in your white light and let him know that he is forgiven for whatever may weigh on his heart. Let me say the words you know he would want to hear. Be with us now in the hour of our need and give us comfort. Amen
(10)

Prayers done.
(1)

Karin...I only found this site by Googling "how to care for elderly parents." This was the very fist site I clicked on. I just now Googled "caregiving for brain-damage" and other wordings. This site is consistent...why don't you give it a try?
...caregiver dot org....This site doesn't allow us to put websites like www......org.
Hope it helps.
(1)

Dear Cat...you all have me in tears. I send my prayers of comfort and peace to you and your dad. You gals are the best here on Survived2's thread.
(2)

Please note the request of the board, here, re: the TOPIC. I won't follow these private conversations and wish people would just post on each other's walls rather than in the topic are? Am I missing something here? LOL
(0)

Ignore my last post--I had posted this as a reply but it was on another thread! I have no idea why my emails give me the posts I am "following" but then post elsewhere. Maybe it has to do with signing in first? Geez...hurry up Friday~!~!
(1)

Cattails, that is one of the most beautiful prayers I've ever seen...thank you - what comforting words you've shared. :)
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter