Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Cat, it's a fact then--he was so ready to go, all closure done and everyone spoken for! And your mom, waiting at the gate with her arms open wide to meet him!! Lovely!! I was not in the room when my father died. One brother did tell him it was "ok to go" but in my mind, that was not sufficient for him...he did not feel he had closure with me and that is why he "visited" as he did (I have 3 stories exactly, including the one of him 'at the window'). If ever anyone is interested in the "visitation" I had with him (some may call it a dream) and what he had to say to me, let me know--as that was when he told me that his work in heaven had commenced and he would not be around hovering any longer. Seriously, these things are real. They are not figments of our imagination. Your dad certainly was outta there-and I am happy for you, because I am convinced my father did not want to linger or hover, but felt he had to. When he was truly "gone" I knew it. Some people say they know the spirits visit when they see butterflies, or pennies, or whatever...Dad and I had our little "ways." :) xoxox
(5)

Punch: If you don't mind sharing, just post about your visitations here. I'd love to hear them and I'm sure everyone else would too.

As you may know, my brothers came to see my dad 2 weeks before he passed. He was so happy to have them with him. My sister, however, did not come. She didn't come when my mom was dying either.

My sister is someone who is open to visitations. She felt my mom connected with her. Maybe she will hear from my dad too. She was very special to them.

Hugs, Cat
(3)

Punch: absolutely share. I only have 1 experience. But I so believe our loved ones are with us and watching over us.
(2)

oh God, i don't care how unfinished she feels, please do not let my mother visit me after she dies! ROFLMAO!
(6)

You guys are so sweet for indulging me. All these years later, the memories are as vivid as the day they happened. You know, my dad was born in November and died in November (exactly 3 weeks after his 78th BD) and so November is always a tough month for me. We always take vacation time in November (I designed it this way on purpose) and my husband can tell you that there have been times (even on vacation) when I wake up in tears, usually at least once in the month of November, and I say to him 'why in hell am I crying? I have no idea!' and he always says 'well I know why--it's because of your dad.' Maybe I had some inner thought or memory or dream but I don't recall what it is that makes me wake up crying like that, nothing really remarkable woke me or troubled me..

I had the freezing, frigid cold from within feeling the night he died, and sandwiched between that and the man in the window, this happened. Soon after he had died, maybe two weeks or so, I was sitting in our living room where we used to live. We had these upholstered chairs that swiveled and I was chatting on the phone with my daughter this one evening, and of all things, we were talking about my mother. No one was home and the house was very quiet, and as I was sitting there, I became aware of something hitting the back of the chair. Like it had been lightly 'punched.' I hadn't given it much thought. Our golden retriever was there, so I subconsciously thought she had walked behind the chair and bumped it. I was still carrying on the conversation and I was re-thinking the bump I felt, so I swiveled the chair around to see if it was our dog, and there she was, sound asleep on the floor under the dining room table, a whole room away. So--what hit the back of the chair? It was enough to feel it and slightly 'move' the chair. I don't mind telling you, I was kind of freaked out about that--it kind of scared me because I sensed a negative kind of energy after that. Was he upset with me that I was talking about my mother? He certainly was no big 'fan' of hers, so it was puzzling...and it was soon after he died. The only thing I can think was that the matching chair next to it was where I can remember sitting one day and I was alone in the house and I was crying for him--but it was one time when I really let it out. Ever notice how you stifle crying? I know I do, but this one day I cried like a child. Wailed, grieved and cried as loudly as I felt like it. I never cry like that. I wondered if he had been there with me that day and knew it, crying and talking to him like that, saying "oh daddy, daddy" over and over again. I never did that before or ever again, just that one time. Ironically, on the day of my father's funeral, we learned of the death of a very dear neighbor who lived directly across the street from us. There was, as I said, a feeling of alot of energy surrounding us during that period of time. It's so apparent, it is palpable. But the chair incident was no less bizarre as the outline in the window except that was unmistakeable. That was undeniably a "vision."

Then there was what I was sure was an 'out of body' experience I had during the night. I tried to read up on these things, since I had heard about them and it was so intriguing to me. I can't call it a dream, because I've had other fleeting dreams of him, but this was totally different, and Cat, I can tell you, if you ever have this experience, don't let it upset you, because initially it did me, and it was because of the content of this experience I had with him. I was meeting him on a street and waiting for him, and then, there he was. I was thrilled, but he was very standoff-ish to me. I was questioning him and I wasn't alone, someone else was there with me, not sure if it was my mother or not, but we were grilling him. I went to kiss him but he was not even like my father, more like a stranger. I asked him how he was doing and he told me he was 'very busy.' I asked him again what it was like for him, what was he doing and he held up a hand and said that he was working with Michael the Archangel and he couldn't stay with me very long. He also mentioned doing the work of a particular kind of church. (I never even heard of the name of that church he mentioned before. It began with the letter "C" and I can't remember now what it was-I want to say 'charismatic' but that wasn't it.) I ran that church word by a few people back then and no one knew what I was talking about. Probably why I forgot the word.) It felt like he was on "leave" from his post and that he had to return quickly, didn't have alot of time away. He wanted to walk away from me and go back to wherever with Michael presumably and I wanted to hug him and kiss him--so I went to hug him, which he allowed me to do, but he did not even hug me back. I was confused and kind of feeling hurt, after all I was his daughter that I knew he adored. When I got up that day I could still feel that I had hugged him.

I wanted so much to keep him there and talk to him, but it was so clear at that moment that he was no longer of the earth and he had much, much bigger and more important things to do than anything of an earthly nature, including me. He really wasn't like my dad anymore, he belonged to heaven. And I understood and felt kind of peaceful after this experience because I knew he had really fully passed on and was so content now. This was a man who positively thrived on hard physical work and that experience stayed with me and still stays with me because I knew how my father hated to be idle and when God took him home, he immediately knew he had a true soldier return.

If others have these experiences, please do let me hear them. I know I am not the only one who can attest to these events--and Cat, I'd be really interested to hear what your sister has to say. I won't be surprised in the least if he wants to finish some business with her. You know, we stayed in that room with him from morning until late afternoon, all of us, only leaving individually to go to the bathroom or eat or whatever when he was unconscious and some part of me kept thinking he might bounce back since he had done that SO many times before. His home health aide was with us that whole day, and when she said "I'll stay with him, go...all of you...have dinner" we said ''ok'' and don't you know, that was when he died, when ALL of us left the room. I never went back into that room to see him. The next time I did was at his viewing. We must really have had unfinished business. That last experience was the last one I ever had. Except of course, those weird days waking up in tears for no apparent reason!

Much love--thanks for letting me share these experiences with all you sweet people. Though we will probably never meet, I feel a real closeness to all of you!
PJ
(5)

PS Lisa--please do share your 'one' story. I'd love to hear it.
(1)

PS to Pamela--I hear you!! I am hoping ZERO visits from mine either. That would just be termed "NIGHTMARE." or a HAUNTING! ROFL!!
(5)

exactly! it would be the only scary thing about her dying. O.O
(2)

Hi all, been busy but thinking of you all. Punch glad u r back w us, n liked the dad stories. Cat n Lisa, hope u all r hanging in there. Headed out to some other threads to see what's going on w everybody else. Luv to all, kimbee
(3)

I just finished getting to "know" you all by reading through this entire thread, whenever I have had a spare moment for the past many days? weeks? I'm not even sure how long I've been following you. You women are beyond-words amazing and inspiring. Lisa, I betcha I had more than one school bus driver as remarkable and perfect and strong and wonderful as you are. When I next meet someone with what all you have to teach me, Lord help me, open my ears, heart and eyes. Bless you all in our individual and common humanity. I shall tear up at every bench on my favorite bike trail and every scene of mother/child love I witness forever as I think of all of you the rest of my life. I'll share why I am here later. For now, suffice to say, I weep for us all in hope and joy. If we can't do it, no one can! You go where ONLY KAW can go, and you look good doing it, I just know it.
(8)

Lisa, what's the latest? Just thought I'd let you know that you're on my mind. xx, J.
(2)

Hi Judy! Be with ya in just a minute.

Bewithusjesus: thank you so much for your kind words. And for reading every post. We would love to hear why your here on ac. So I'll pop over to check it out!

Judy: hey sista! No more phone calls bout or from DQ. Al sil came in a week early. So Doug and I have had a very relaxing weekend so far. We popped in for a couple of hours to visit with her and she told us to go. Do something together. I've got things this weekend. She told me she was more worried about Doug this weekend. And I worry too. He just can't seem to get him a good nights sleep. His 4 month checkup was this week, sugar staying high. So dr gave him a med to help him sleep. Hasn't taken it yet. So we'll see. Fil has a cold from hell. Mil tried to find her car keys and fil had to finally address the driving issue with her. not happy at all. So Doug and I went to rent some horror movies. (our fav) our 3 yr old great nephews bday party was today. Feel a little guilty cause we didn't go. But geeeze Judy. It felt so good to spend time together watching movies. Quiet and calm. So next weekend we will pick him up and take him to chuck cheese and toys r us. Mil hasn't changed her mind about heart surgery. But I gotta say, she looks so good since she is taking medications. Told us she isn't going back to anymore drs. Sigh. Wutever! Heeheehee.
Hope cats holding up ok. Can't wait to hear from her. How's your boy doing? Hope he's back to 100% now?
(5)

Lisa, that sounds so good! You deserve a calm weekend.

I am feeling sad tonight. My husband was placed in the palliative care program last week. We are waiting for a hospital bed. I think it has finally hit me that we are on a new leg of this journey, and I am mourning a little.
(7)

No more phone calls... Ahhhh.... peace reigns without the DQ. Poor Doug. Sleepless nights are horrible. I hope you can get him to take the medication. Sometimes, just that first full night of sleep after being awake night after night, makes a world of difference, like you remember how good it feels to be rested. Tell him to take the dang medication!

Quiet and calm watching horror movies? OMG! I'd be having a heart attack. Seriously, I freak out over horror movies and then I can't sleep for months. I'm a huge baby when it comes to scary. I can take gross (hell, I can probably hold sh*t in one hand and eat out of the other), but I can't take scary.

Glad mil looks better with her medications. So nice that fil addressed the driving issue with her, and it wasn't something that Doug had to do. That's so hard. Been there, done that. It wasn't pretty or easy.

Chuck e Cheese....Oh, man... I think I'd rather watch a horror movie!! Actually, the time you spend at the pizza place and Toyr R Us will mean more to the great nephew than if you had gone to his party, don't you think?

Cat is frikkin superwoman. I'm in awe. She gets a special KAW cape. Or glitter on her tuna cans. Something.

My boy goes to the gastroenterologist Monday - that's so sweet of you to remember him- thank you. My son feels better, and looks better. Well, he looks healthier, not necessarily better. He's decided to grow out his beard. OMG. He looks like a lumberjack. I'm just hoping he doesn't decide to grow it out to the ZZ Top stage. He'll be looking like one of those Duck Commander guys soon.

Glad you checked in, and you sound good. I miss you when you're not around! xx, J.

Jeanne - Just read your comment - You're in my thoughts tonight, and I wish I could give you a real hug.
(7)

Hi Lisa: I'm fine. I went to lunch with a friend yesterday. Haven't done that in ages and after lunch, I drove over to where my son and husband were and popped in to see their progress. Nick and his girl friend are moving into a condo in town and leaving country living behind. That means poor dad has to help sonny move his stuff again. At least this time Nick got a moving van and paid two guys to load the big stuff and unload it at the condo. That made things much easier, but moving is always hard work. Also, Nick has a huge salt water aquarium, so he and dad spent today doing all the necessary steps to move it and set it up again. Plus, dear old dad had to build a cabinet for it (super sturdy is a necessity) to set the aquarium on in the new place. Inside the cabinet goes a secondary tank with plants that act as a bio-filter and feeds water into the main aquarium so the water level always stays constant. It's quite a set up.

So Warren has been busy the past few days. I've had my little yard projects and have been staying busy too. We finally moved back into the MBR. It's been a year since we slept in that room. And it did feel sad to be moving in there. In a way, it didn't feel like our room anymore. Felt more like my dad's room. Nevertheless, we made the move and we have both slept so much better. It felt so good to be back in our King size bed again. I think sometime in the future we will make some changes to our bedroom. Do some things to just make it different. Kind of like a new start, but for now it's fine.

Tomorrow will be a week. I miss my dad and have moments when these pangs of sadness hit me, but all in all I doing ok. I am always comforted to know that he is free of this earth and in a far better place. Those thoughts always make me happy for him.

Lisa: Glad Mary is looking better and hopefully feeling better too. Hope FIL gets over his cold.

Judy: You are never far from my thoughts.

Sending you all love and white light. Cat
(6)

Awww Jean, I'm so sorry. I just went to your site and sent a request. I'm so honored that you are allowing us to follow this new journey you and hubby are about to embark on. When you posted you are sad I literally gasped. You and hubby are in my prayers. What an amazing partner you are to him. I'll keep checking in to see if you Accepted my request. Love you, lisa
(3)

Cat, I'm glad you and Warren are able to keep yourselves busy. Just promise me you will give yourself as much time to grieve as you need. I think it's so important. Al sil didn't do that when her husband died last year. Thought she needed to be strong for everyone else. We got a call at 11 one nite. It was my niece telling us she had been crying for hours. It was their 37th anniversary. We stayed with niece on phone for a while to calm her fears. We knew it was coming. But she was up at 10 the next morning telling us it felt so good to just finally let go, and she's been so much better. Never be over it, but better. So take care of u my friend!!!
(4)

Jeanne, so sorry to hear about your husband... went to the site and sent my request.... please know we are here for you as you have been here for all of us... sending you prayers for strength and for you to know how loved and appreciated you are.... hugs across the miles to you and your husband
(4)

Jeanne: God Bless You and your dear husband. I just read your post and signed up for your blog. Like Lisa, I feel honored to be included in reading your personal journey. Sending you love and white light, Cat.
(3)

bewithusJesus, can i call you bwuJ? thank you for reading so many pages, and thank you for your kind letter. Welcome!

Lisa, I am so glad to hear about your peaceful weekend. I know how much you needed that. Hope you can carry it into ChuckECheese, LOL! The best part was hearing that your DMiL is looking/feeling better. Good thing that you DFiL was able to discuss the driving with her. It would be horrible if Doug had to, no one wants to have a child tell them what they can and cannot do. I'm going to write myself a letter for my kids to give me for when that day comes.

Jeanne, i'm sorry to hear about your husband having to move into pallative care. i know you will still be a loving and attentive wife and caregiver no matter where he is though. i have signed up for your blog by way of facebook.

i hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend; God Bless!
(3)

Hi girls. I planned a great dinner for today. I made cubes steaks in gravy with onions. Fresh green beans, mashed taters, egg noodles and dinner rolls that took four hours to rise. Doug and I took pil's their plates and we weren't home ten minutes and the phone rang. It was ray. He was so pleased. They had already ate it! He wanted to thank me. He told me I don't have to cook for them and I am such a blessing to them both. He was very emotional which sent me there. He told me it's been months since Mary has eaten so much. She especially liked how I make my egg noodles. They were gone first. He went to the garage to call me because she wanted to, but just in case she forgets to call he wanted me to know. I told him there is plenty left over and I'll bring them each another plate tomorrow and they can eat leftovers. He laughed and told me he was hoping I would offer. He told me he wished he knew I was making cubes steaks. Apparently these past months she has been buying meat and has never cooked it. He wants me to start bringing it here to cook it. He counted 8 packs of cubes steak alone. Geeze. I don't know girls. Feel kinda funny taking food out of their freezer. Doug says bull. She dosen't cook anymore so it will sit there and get freezer burnt. So I don't know. Well see. I just needed to share this with you. This is what it's all about for me. Helping to care for 2 people I love so much who loves and appreciates me for what I do for them. I'm not used to this feeling, so I think I'll bask in it for a while. Love you guys! Lisa
(8)

Lisa, first, can I come over and eat leftovers with you? That sounds like a great meal!

Second, do use the suplus meat in their freezer for your cooking. It is a way for them to feel a little less like taking charity. They contribute the meat, sometimes, and you contribute the cooking.

This reminds me of the cooking I did for our daughter's family, when she was a newly single mother of seven (!) and in school and working. I'd make a big meal and Hubby would deliver it while I cleaned up the kitchen, then we'd eat the portion I kept back for us. Unlike your in-laws, finances were very tight for her, so I didn't use anything from her freezer, but I think it makes sense in your situation. Now this daughter is the one helping me most with her Dad.

It is nice for your inlaws to be able to eat at their own table, at their own pace, without "company" to deal with. Sending them prepared meals is ideal. Sometimes, of course, you'd like to join them or have them over. But letting them still just be a couple is very considerate. You are a wonderful blessing to them.
(6)

Ok Jeanne. U and Doug make good sense. Sometimes I find it hard to step back and see the big picture. After seeing Mary in the hospital and out of her "comfort zone" it's very important to me to see that she's caused no anxiety in that department. Sil and I took her to beauty shop last week and her anxiety was so evident. Her beautician of over 30 years has offered to comme once a week to her home for only 5.00 more. (gas) and Jeanne, I've been reading today at your site. What an inspiration you are. Did you know you can only stay for 2 hours and they kick you off? Hahaha. Surprised the hell outta me. I've read some parts to Doug about when you handle his confusion and direct his thoughts down a different path. Doug could only say dam that's smart. Then he looks at me and says dam Lisa, are we gonna be able to get that good at this? Girls I know it these worries that are what keeps him up at nights. so I've shown him how to log on here. I told him any time he feels he has a question, or his fear gets the best of him to jump right on here and talk to all the KAW. I really hope he does. He already reads on here with me, so we shall see!
(8)

Jeanne: I read your blog today and left you a message on your site. When I first read your post here this morning, I thought what you were saying was that your husband would be going to a palative care program, (meaning not at your home) Now I am wondering if I misunderstood. Will he still be home with you?

Lisa: It is wonderful that you take meals to your in-laws and let them share meals together as a couple in their home. When my mom was alive, I always cooked for them and delivered everything to their table. They loved that and so enjoyed eating together and watching their shows, etc.

When my mom passed, Dad would most often come here for dinner and we would play games of cribbage afterword. I look back on that with fond memories of recounting of cards and poor loser attitudes.

Hugs everyone, Cat
(5)

Hi friends...I got this email today--you may have seen it, but when I got it today it made me think of so many of the conversations I've seen here on the site. I'd like to share it with you--and oh yes--I wish you all enough, as you know. Love 2 All, PJ

Recently I overheard a father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure of her plane.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the father said, "I love you, and I wish you enough."

The daughter replied, "Dad, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough too, Dad."

They kissed and the daughter left. The father walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say goodbye to someone knowing it would be forever?"

'Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever goodbye?"

"I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is...the next trip back will be for my funeral," he said.
"When you were saying goodbye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?"
He began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone..." He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more. "When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them." Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting..

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final goodbye.

He then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them...but then an entire life to forget them.

Only if you wish, send this to the people you will never forget.
TAKE TIME TO LIVE...

To all my friends and loved ones,
I WISH YOU ENOUGH.
(11)

Lisa, that sounds like it was a godsend, that meal you made. Comfort food that really served its purpose. God bless you for that--I think making and bringing a meal to someone is one of the single most appreciated and touching things a person can do for another person. By all means, make the food from the freezer and don't let it go to waste--maybe even a good, hearty beef soup or stew that can go back into the freezer and popped in a microwave for the winter when you may not be able to get over there again. Your goodness is so appreciated by them and that's so nice to hear, when I read so many posts where there is nary a "thank you" at all. God bless you and hope you had a great weekend! xo PJ
(6)

Okay, so, Lisa, this is my second attempt at a comment. The first one I typed had "tube steak" instead of cube steak. OMG. I'm still laughing at myself. Had to delete and start over. Sheesh.

Sounds like a good dinner and a great phone call from fil to warm your heart. Well done! You're a good daughter in law.

Tell SuperDoug the cabana boy, that we'll be gentle with him if he chooses to talk with the KAW :)
(5)

I guess even in this new stage my Hubby is in there will be good days and bad days. Today was pretty good! He was up eight hours, about double his average for the last three weeks. He was alert. He followed sports on tv. And he ate real food, with minimal coughing (compared to the popsicles and milk shakes most days). I finally got him in the tub tonight. I said, "I know you can't tell, but this soap smells good. I guess I must have bought it for my sake," and he said, "I don't mind using it for you." (LBDers lose their sense of smell.)

Cat, he is still at home, considered home-bound, and getting services such as a lab draw here instead of going into the clinic. Palliative care is often, but not always, a step before hospice. We are waiting for a hospital bed to be delivered. I sure don't know how we are going to cram it into our bedroom, but I'll buy a single bed for me if necessary.

Thank you all for your interest.
(5)

Judy: You must be missing your hubby. Hahahaha.

Lisa: We know Doug has a cape, but how does he feel about blue tights. He can wear a cup. As Judy said, we will be gentle.

Seriously, it would be interesting to from his point of view. Don't know if he wants to share a lot, but we are here and we do love you both. My husband has lost both of his parents. Maybe we can hook up the guys too. Ah, I'm just blabbing, but you know what I mean. We all care.

Love you, Cat.
(4)

Jeanne: If there is a will, there is a way and we know you will make it happen. So this is another step in your journey to keep him home and in familiar surroundings. Sounds like this was a good day for him and he is enjoying himself. That's a blessing and I know you are grateful for it.

When my dad came home from rehab, we had a hospital bed delivered via the social worker. The mattress was basic and I feared for my dad's skin since he arrived home with an open sore on his bottom. Medicare will pay for an upgraded mattress, but they don't pay for the air adjusted mattress that is best to prevent bed soars. They will only do this if the patient has bed soars. My dad's doc did allow us hospice care and their involvement was minimal, but they did give up an air filled top mattress that gave my dad the benefit of very good comfort and preventive measures for bed soars. He never had them and was always very comfortable.

Just passing on what I have experienced. You have done that for so many years and are a blessing to so many. I learned from reading your blog. You are a teacher at heart and a beautiful role model.

Love, Cat
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter