Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Lisa, lunch with mil sounds like a great idea!

I agree with Jeanne about the heads up for the sisters. What if Mary isn't herself when they're there? Her behavior could startle and confuse them. If they know in advance, it may be better all around. And, once again, I agree with Jeanne, that it should be your fil to fill them in. I guess if he doesn't feel its necessary, then so be it.
(3)

Hi all - been adjusting to my new status re mother. I have to distance further as she has been very hurtful. It takes me a while to figure out what I need to do. I will for the time being anyway, remain as POA. My sis is backup if I do back out. I will remain available for the ALF, hospital, her doc etc. to contact. She is well looked after where she is, though she complains all the time. I am reducing/removing social contact, eg emails, phone calls, visits, as that is when there is opportunity for hurt. As a result of this, I am doing some grieving, as it is form of death - of the relationship. Gordie's birthday is coming up on October the 10th, which makes life harder anyway. I haven't gotten to my grief over him yet.
Lisa - you are doing a marvellous job. The suggestions about informing the coming visitors are good.
On another note - mother started using a computer when she was abour 95. - 5 years agoShe has worn out the letters on many of the keys. We sent her a new set of "letters" which arrived today. It took her not more than an hour to figure out how replace them and do it. . Up till now she has had to go back and correct the misspelled words. Obviously her mind is working well..
(4)

Emjo--
Wow! She is about 100 now? still using computer?
Yep--mind still works...sad that things get so rotten emotionally!
That's gotta be some kind of record, though!

Mine's not that old by a long shot; her mind works--but it's all twisted up in complicated ways. And no way on earth she would ever use a computer--she barely uses the phone.

I totally understand grieving the death of relationship!
Mom made sure to cut me out of her herd
--which means 4 siblings all cut me out too, as well as Mom.

It is still hard to keep focused on that they took her outta here, and I wish them well. Over a year later, the hurts she inflicted, still make it hard for me to find and mend the shattered pieces. It had taken years to mend the first time I left home because of her behaviors; it is harder, now.

Keep working at it. Find helps wherever makes sense. I have listened to Oprah, get newsletters, gotten counseling [still do], looked online for things that can help.
PTSD from abusive relationships, can be helped, I am told, by using EMDR--a process a qualified counselor can help you with.

{{{hugs!}}}
(0)

yeah Chi - and she taught herself in her mid 90s to use a computer -with a little help of course. It is sad that the emotions have been so twisted and still are, I don't know that I can say I am sorry youtr mum cut you out, though in one sense I am but, I think it is better to be out of the dysfunction. Sorry it is harder to heal now, but I think I understand - the hurts accumulate, even though you work a lot of it through, there is still some basic trauma left. I am seeing a counsellor again these days -I have no hesitation to go when I need it. I am thinking of looking at something for the PTSD - both re mother and Gordie. I don't know why I thought it would all be over by the time I reached this age - how naive! Thanks for the hug back at ya ((((((hugs))))))

Lisa -forgot to mention the bus excitement - Oh dear me!!! Bomb girl and bus accidents. You lead a dangerous life! Enjoy your visit with mil, and the great food the sisters are bringing. ((((hugs))))) Joan
(2)

Pam – Wow….You’ve been thru a lot and still going strong. I have never known anyone who has gone that deep into self-cut. Actually, I didn’t know that it could go that far. Congrats on making it 28 months. No, I see where you’re coming at. I guess it’s best that you put yourself back together into one piece – physically, mentally and emotionally. I think because I’ve had bad headaches since middle school, I’ve been afraid of pain. I did a little research on self-cut to help me understand a very young poster here on AC. I can’t believe how Prevalent this is among teens. It’s not a “habit” that is easily dismissed. When I was reading it, it reminded me of how someone would is an alcoholic in the sense that an alcoholic can be off the bandwagon for 20 yrs and then Wham! one drink and they’re back hooked. The same applies with self-cutting – if you turn to it as a way to deal with the stress/emotions, etc… Does that make sense? I’m NOT demeaning or belittling self-cutting but how … scary it is. And that’s why, when I say CONGRATS, I really do mean it. I’m soooo PROUD of you!
(3)

Kimbee – that was funny! I keep telling everyone here that I take things Literally. (laughing here) When you guys tell jokes, I have to re-read it several times trying to figure out the joke. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t. And too embarrassed to ask what’s so funny about it.
Emjo - Do what you need to do ...distance from mother. therapy. Just when you finally settled down, something comes along and just throws you off.
Lisa - the things that happen while on the job. I, too, agree that the aunts are forewarned. Can you just see what happens if they are unaware and mil "acts up" on that day? take care!
(1)

Pam: Your post really touched me. You can be so honest about your life and I so admire that. I know you have been through a lot. Leaving your husband and making a life for yourself. I wish I lived close to you and could know you better. You have my respect and affection. Sending you love and white light. Cattails
(4)

Pam: 3 words. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!
(2)

Thanks girls, Doug going to talk to fil today to see if he can get him to call one of the aunts.
(3)

So glad to hear that Lisa. Best move to be taken. God bless you, Doug and FIL. Of course, Mary too. Cat
(4)

my mom is still hurting me in many ways as you described. I am the eldest of 4 children. I am the only one will take care of mom. I do not want to. she is very abusive mentally, emotionally. She has admitted that she doesnt want me there but she I am the only one will/can take care of her. How hurtful is that? What do you do ? I am so tired, worn out, burned out, ready to pack bags and leave. I have chronic illnesses and I am getting more disabled by the hour. I really would appreciate it if someone has some solid advice for me or suggestions. thanks.
You hang there (I quess) right now I dont know what to say.
(3)

Hi could, contact ur area on aging agency RIGHT AWAY. They know all the resources to get mom more assistance whether that be placement or additional in home help. Do u have ur own home to go back to? Or somewhere else to go/stay if needed? Sorry u r dealing w so much, n hurting to. Have you read Lisa's whole thread, well worth the time. MAKE THAT PHONE CALL TO AGING AGENCY--they will help you!
(4)

This site is so helpful to so many, i hope more will use it
(4)

Could: I so agree with Kimbee. Please read Lisa's thread from the beginning. It will take some time, but it is a very good read and you will learn from it. Then take an honest inventory of where you are in your life. This isn't about your mom, it's about you and what options you have and need to build. Keep in touch. Cat
(4)

"Take an honest inventory of your life..."
@ Cattails: You are so wise. Your words are completely on target. Caregiving has as much to do with where the caregiver is, on her journey, as it has to do with the person who needs caregiving. I married a wonderful man 30 years ago. He married me even though I was very ill and was expected to die soon. surprise: I didn't go away! I was blessed with a gift for making the most of the cards I was dealt, and I love life. I have always felt I "owed" my husband's parents something I couldn't give them. I have always sensed that they have never been capable of loving me, except in terms of how I could fulfill their needs. Realizing this has taken a long time. Thus I've spent most of my marriage trying to be "super" daughter-in-law, despite severe personal health challenges and caregiving for my own parents who died in 1994 and 2001. It is painful and has taken a lot of reading of this entire thread to realize how pointless my attempts to earn in-law love have been. Nowadays when I feel compelled to do something for the in-laws that I know I'm gonna resent before I'm even finished, I can finally stop myself (sometimes) before I spiral down that hole. Even before my in-laws hit ages 88 and 94 and became as helpless and needy as they are now, I was always trying to win their approval by working hard enough to compensate for their seeing me as never good enough for their son. I still sense this, although they would never admit to it or even see it. I still have to stop myself from feeling guilty about their aging and decline. Mom-in-law has become quite adept at exploiting that. I apologize if I have gotten "off track" on this thread. I thought it pertained, when I started commenting. At any rate, thanks for listening to me. I feel a little better for having written that out.
You ladies rock and keep me on track with your stories.
(9)

jeanne, Judy, Cat, Lisa, Book, emjo, everyone, Thank you for your kindness. I don't want to take over Lisa's thread, so if anyone wants more information on cutting, PTSD, or just wants to know me, you can friend me on facebook as Cat and emjo have by looking at my profile. Yes Book, it IS an addiction. It's a coping mechanism, albeit bizarre one, definitely a bad one, but that's what we do to cope, and then we cannot stop. at least not easily.

Lisa, I do think it would be great if you FiL would give the sisters a heads up. It will be difficult enough, but if they were shocked by any unexpected behavior? That might be heartbreaking.

emjo, my now 74 mother could never even figure out how to get to voicemail on her cell phone, so your 100 year old mother using a computer is incredible. i pray i keep my faculties that long. too bad she can't learn how to love just as easily.

could, this will be the most helpful thread you will ever come across, do take the time to read through all of it. yes, it is long, but it will be worth the effort.
(3)

Hey, Pam, I don't have a FB. Long story. Basically, I don't like to be "found"! But, if I did have one, I'd look for you! xx, J.
(3)

that's ok Judy, we have this.
:D
(1)

BWJ: You know, you are fine the way your are. You don't need to scrape and bow for scrapes of affection. Your husband married you for a reason and it wasn't because he needed his parents approval. All you need to do is be there for your husband. Support what he feels he needs to do for his parents. If he wants to spend time with them, then don't complain about it, and I'm not saying you do. If he wants to grieve over their misfortune or medical issues, then be there to grieve with him. If he feels sad that they treat you badly and you can't all be one happy family, then thank him for understanding. You can be there for him without being around them.

Just another thought. If your husband needs to spend time with his parents, try to take care of a task of his at home so he is less stressed when he gets back. Maybe it's mowing the lawn or taking out the trash or whatever. Just let him know that you are trying to support him and ease his burden at home because you realize that he needs to deal with his folks on his own.....and he does. You need to be free of that loop and all the craziness. In the long run that probably makes it easier on him because he doesn't need to spend his time defending you to his mom. He can spend time with her and leave and come home to a loving home. It's good to have a safe place and you can give him that.

Sending you hugs, Cat
(7)

well ladies, I never thought this would happen, but I am looped out of my mind. After the muther stuff I thought I should go back on antidepressants - the lowest dose. I took one two days ago, and one this morning. Was OK for most of today, but by supper time I was stoned out of my mind, bought more cookies (gluten and dairy free of course) that I had in months , had 1/2 pack of cookies, 2 fudgsicles, and a macaroon, for supper and a little stew to balance it out - made all kinds of "suggstions" to G - my inhibitions have flown out the window - tears are coming easily - probably a good thing - and so on. I have never been stoned in my life, and alcohol never did it for me. I must say it is kinda fun, but I couldn't drive a car in the condition I am in, and good thing I know it. I weaned myself off these things in the spring - oh well, hopefully I will sleep well tonight. Think I better keave them alone, and just deal with the emotions -punch a pillow or something.
Gotta tell you my parking lot story for a laugh 0 ir another laugh...
Yesterday. Safeways parking lot was very full and a few cars were cruising around, as was I, looking for an empty spot. Suddenly a car backed up and i was in the right position to nip in and park. I noticed a young woman in a grey SUV stopped a little behind me, but paid her no attention until I got out of my car, when she opened her window and told me that she had been waiting for that spot. I hadn’t seen her, and told her so, and she drove off. I felt bad and was looking around the parking lot for her, when the car parked beside me, backed up and left. Aha, says this would-be good Samaritan, as I spotted a grey SUV bearing down from the right, and also a large menacing black 3/4 ton from the left that was closer. I screwed up my courage, stood in the spot, put my hand up to stop the 3/4 ton -did the traffic cop thing - and bravely waved the SUV into the parking spot. It parked and a grey haired man stepped out and said thank you! All I could mumble was “I thought you were someone else.” I got back into my car without steppihng a foot into the store, and went around the corner to shop at Sobey’s. I haven't had any trouble in their parking lot.

What a weird few days! Sorry I am no good for anyone tonight - not even myself, except maybe for a laugh.
(6)

Oh Pam -at 73, I was the computer expert of the department at work, and taught a computer course - and all self taught - but I am no typist

still out of it - i suppose my head will clear eventually - has anyone else had this experience?
(2)

Well, Joan, I'm laughing. You took a trip and didn't even have to leave the farm!!

Your traffic cop incident reminded me of something that happened in my life about 38 years ago. My husband and I were just married and my son, from my first marriage, was 5 years old. Warren was a police officer for the Santa Barbara Police Department. He was a motor cop. So one morning, bright and early, we get a phone call from my husband's co-worker who lived a couple of streets away from us. He said, "Your child was in the middle of the street, partially dressed in your uniform and directing traffic. I told him he was doing a good job, but needed to go home." This was about 8am in the morning on a Saturday and we were sleeping in. We thanked Tom for the call and went into the living room. There was Nick watching cartoons. He had Warren's uniform shirt on, a whistle around his neck and his helmet on. Jeez, did we feel like shit parents.

Joan, I worry about you a little bit. You are a very wise person, but you have so much grief from Gordy's passing and that is understandable, of course, but you have to claim your life in this world. You have experienced a glimpse of the live after death and you know that it is real. Please rejoice in that and know that you will be with him again. In fact, you are with him now, as you know.

I'm sorry for all the crap your mom throws in your direction, but I think you are so right in putting that distance back into effect. She's fine in so many ways for someone her age. More so than many 20 or more years younger than her.

Live your life Joan and embrace all the now that you can. You are an amazing person with passion, intelligence and spirit. Use it up everyday and live in the moment.

Love and respect to you, my friend. Cat
(4)

Joan, what anti-depressant did you take? I've felt stoned before, but not by an anti-depressant. Once, when I was in a manic state, my former psychiatrist prescribed seroquel for me but that made me feel drunk all day long. I'm seriously wondering why I am on two mood stablelizers when one would probably be enough. I don't like the nuvigil not working as well as it did at first and wonder if this abilify is not the problem.

Yes, you have had some weird days and that reaction to the antidepressant does not sound good at all and you are emotionally overloaded right now. Sometimes, meds that we have taken for a while loose their effectiveness and something else needs to be found. There are many different antidepressants. One of them with the least side effects is the one I take called wellbutrin.

I hope you sleep better tonight.
(3)

This is way off subject, but speaking of being really stoned. My dad and I went on a snow ski trip to Mt. Tremblant in Canada when I was in high school. One night, I did not eat at the same table with him and drank a lot of wine. Somehow, I managed to get back to my room or the people I ate with took me there and while there I decided it was too hot and so opened the window in minus whatever degrees it was. My dad found me asleep on top of the bed with the windows opened before any hypothermia set in. I still have no memory of that night beyond who I ate supper with in our ski club and dad waking me up. I hope someone can get a laugh out of this tonight. Good night! Love and hugs to all!
(5)

Thanks cat and john -

What's to worry cat? My life is here and now, the good and the bad stuff - it is what it is. Yes, I have had a glimpse of the next world, and know where my Gordie is, and where I am going. Once he came back to me in a dream, and gave me such a hug I felt it physically till 1/2 way through the next day. It was a time that I missed him so much, and his big bear hugs, I know those things come when you most need them. Gordie is still part of my life - the newer theories of grieving talk about the changed relationship you have with your loved one who has passed - not the end of the relationship. I am comfortable with that, and know that he and others are not far away, One night, about 3 months after he died, my mother woke up, and saw my father standing by her bedside - as he was at his best - She is not a person to "see things". When you lose a chld they are on your heart and mind daily - and that is OK. It is not like other losses. My other kids are on my heart and mind to -and that is OK.

John, I only took 2 pills of a single antidepressant (Luvox) that has worked well for me before - one two days ago and one this morning - not two different ones - never would! - Apparently some people react that way. Maybe a very small dose would work - not sure I want to try, or even that I really need it. This certainly didn't lose its effectiveness lol - but took me a little too far for comfort - or functionality anyway. It would be good to sleep well.

One day at a time - I will see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully, :) I will be in my right mind! :)
(3)

John - considering how cold it can get - good thing your dad found you! :)
(2)

Yes, I remember the chill factor at the top of the Mount Tremblant one day of that week was a minus 60 degrees and that was in the daytime. I have never been stoned like that since. I did make the mistake of tasting some wine at a winery once and will never do that again either for even tasting some wine does not mix well with an antidepressant, but my did I feel goooooooood!

I'm sure the people I ate with that night got a hoot out of me getting stoned. BTW, wine does not really keep you warm in very cold snow skiing, it only masks how cold you are and inhibits your ability to ski.
(4)

cat -forgot - that was a great story about the little cop :) thankfully none of mine were escape artists.I am glad he got home safe and sound

john - yes booze does not mix well with antidepressants or with cold - you lose heat and get colder - that can be dangerous

think I have landed - in tact - check with you all tomorrow
(2)

Hey, Lisa, have a nice lunch with mil today. And eat a dumpling for me this weekend. I tried making dumplings about 20 years ago. My husband called them "soglings". That was my first and last attempt! Hope the visit with fil's sisters goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for best behavior.
My husband flies in tonight for 5 days. That'll be nice, although he irritated the crap out of me the last time I saw him. I swear, when I was dropping him off at the airport to go back to PA a few weeks ago, I was tempted just to swing through the departure drop off area and just push him out the door while the car was still moving and fling his bag out after him. Usually, the day he leaves is a sad day for me. Not this last time!
My middle boy is here for the weekend from school. He got here last night.The kitchen has already been filled with hungry 19 yr old boys. They're like a swarm of locusts - they descend on the kitchen and eat everything there in just minutes. Its incredible. It'll be good to have some people in the house again. Just me and the youngest boy is a bit too lonely.
Have a nice weekend! I'm looking forward to your next update. xx, J.
(6)

Hi all - just luv you all. Been so overbusy w too much to do in all domains. Today I'll finish up getting us ready for vacation and beach-bound we'll be! Maybe I'll have more than a min here n there to be in touch w all of u better! Pam, my heart goes out to you-I know u went thru some very tough stuff to have such illness, n a lot of hard work to achieve such a big continuous victory! High five!! Keep up the great effort! And thx for sharing w us. I knew you had more to say than you'd been sharing!! Luved the little escape artists stories! We have one two-brother, age 2, decided to see where the beach sand cleaner machinery went when it was finished cleaning OC Md. Mom looked up n in an instant he was gone. Of course pure panic ensued w lifeguards searching up n down the beach. Before cell phones, so mom went to house by phone, dad kept searching. Three or 4 hrs. Later, up walks 2-yr. Old brother to hotel. He followed tractor 2-3miles to end of beach where it empties collected debris. He then WALKEDhome, up the street, not beach, n found his way back to the very hotel where we were staying. Needless to say my parents were in meltdown status n he was matter of fact: I wanted to see where truck went...surprised we ever saw the beach again after that! Judy, a friend used to make biscuits, not to well n her husband called them "cannon fodder". Unlike me, she continued to make them . My hubby would immediately been in charge of breads or whole meal process!!
So Lisa, can u teach Judy n I how to make the dumplings- she's got teens to fill, n I'm tired of the same stuff over n over. Hope Mary lunch is nice. Smart to give positives in there too-sure u both need that. Doug's a KA MAN, no tights needed; doug where r u ?? Joan, glad the parking didnt end in crazy road rage, n hey, the driver was probably thinking: "hey, look at that hot lady" n working up nerve to ask for a date. U disappointed by escaping to other store, I'm sure!! Cat, hope ur feeling better, is it warm enough to still get in your yard work? Hope so , n that you r beginning to get rested up n restored-n not too busy w estate issues n all that involves. Book: glad we could make em laugh! BWJ, nice to have u w us. Hope I didn't miss any body, cause I luv u all. Had a great middle of night party w mom. She up to use bathroom, I sorting big box of photo/Fam mementos to go w us for activity. Came upon bro's "My life" assignment at age 13. We stayed up reading n laughing for 2 hours. One of the highlights of her stay. I snapped lots of pix as she read n enjoyed so bro n SIL can see her enjoyment. It so made the hard stuff worth it! Hope we can get her safely to beach. Sis is suggesting hospice eval on return home, will talk to mom so she has i put 1st. Back to "work" for now, my nails r dry! hugs n joy. Kimbee
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter