Follow

Anyone have little tips on any small exercise we should do to keep joints and balance health .
For any age. Like sometimes I do pushups off my kitchen counter.
These little things to keep are balance and healthy, the little things we do make a difference, standing on your toes , up and down while waiting for the microwave.
Anything like that

Way To Go, should be your new name 😁 waytomisery. 👍
(2)

Practice saying “ No “. This is a mental exercise. Remind yourself that you need boundaries .

It can help reduce chances of illness , and physical injury for ourselves . For example saying “ No “ and stop trying to take an elder out when you know it’s too difficult to pull them out of the car anymore .

This is needed so you say “ No” to doing things that would effect your own physical and mental health .
(1)

I just love to get out in nature and just walk. I've never been much of an athlete or exercise guru, but I generally just love to walk, walk, walk.
(3)

Strugglinson, I never understood why they considered gardening exercises, then I started gardening, and now i get it.

Same with boccie or bowling, big deal you throw a ball., you do it enough you get it.
(0)

Eating - it’s good for my jaw muscles.
(2)

Walking , and gardening , even little bits at a time ! Theres a whole thread on gardening . I count that as exercise too!
(1)

If at all possible, go outside and walk for at least an hour every day. If you have a park with some gradual hills, go there and walk at a leisurely pace. If you are in relatively good health and have good balance and mobility, try to find some steeper hills or even stairs that you can climb as many times as you can. On days when you're feeling especially good, try interspersing your walking with some jogging--not running. When you feel tired or if you feel any pain, stop and walk again. Walking, slow jogging, and climbing stairs are excellent daily exercises. A mini stepper is another way to get some steps in and you can use them with a pair of light dumbbells. As you step, you can do curls, shoulder presses, upright rows, and presses. You can step for 30 minutes to an hour daily, especially on days when you can't get outside or don't have time to go to the park. These exercises really do help with weight management, toning, and improving heart and cardiovascular function. You just need to be consistent.
(3)

Willie, my dear mom's health deteriorated after a bad stress fracture which was caused because two good intentioned young men insisted on helping my mom cross the street. This was during a lingering snowfall that made all the roads an ice rink. They slipped and took my mom with them.

I've often wondered if she would have lived a little longer had she not fallen that day.
(3)

I started doing chair yoga a few days ago. There are tons of videos on youtube. I've tried a bit from two or three of them. If nothing else I find the deep breathing is a good stress reliever.
(2)

Cwillie, Exactly!!
(1)

I hate the "nice" people who stop to let you cross the street, I've been known to back up and walk the other way. If I'm not noticeably disabled (and probably not even then) or under 10 years old I can manage quite well without your help, in fact I was planning to cross using that big gap two cars behind you but now because you stopped the rest of the traffic has caught up and I've missed my opportunity. And no I don't want to take advantage of your generosity and go now because I can't trust that the drivers behind you (that have no idea why you've stopped) won't accelerate around you in frustration.
(1)

Yes, I've been able to get back into the walking grove, sence mornings are cooler.

I will say I'm a bit frustrated with nice people. 😆 I get to a corner and have to cross, my mind thinks of good I can stand here for a minute, catch my breath. NOPE no rest for me, they see me coming and stop for me. 😵‍💫
(0)

I walk, walk, walk. Also do a YouTube 15 minute strength training video 3x a week. Being strong and reasonably fit is a non-negotiable for me.

🏋️‍♀️Here’s to all caregivers— past, present and future— staying healthy! 🏋️‍♀️
(3)

I dance around when I brush my teeth! And I don’t like squats, but when I remember, I alternatively hold a squat while brushing my teeth. Two birds with one stone lol

Maybe not for joints so much, but for the life of me I can’t hold still while sitting. Hard to explain, but holding still is so uncomfortable and I can focus better when I’m fidgeting. ( adhd ) So long as it’s not bothering anyone I just let myself fidget away, and it turns out fidgeting can burn up to 300-500 calories a day. The way I fidget this makes sense.

So fidget away and you’ve earned that next cookie, is my attitude!
(3)

Nice to of had less humidity and getting my walking back in. I was worried getting out of it sometimes it's hard to get back into it
(3)

🤣😝
(2)

Nacy,
You scratch an itch in public?
Hope you cover your mouth when you yawn?
Lol.
But stretching, you stretch whenever you can.
It will help you reach farther to get the healthier cereals off the higher shelves.
Whether it is done in the park, or the grocery store, you can stretch.

Nevermind me, I am so out of touch that I pulled the car over to ask a neighbor heading out if he needed a ride. He declined, saying he was just heading out for a six-mile run. Six miles, 100 + degree heat, at noon?

Lol, lol, lol, lol, lol, it was funny to me.
Trying laughter to save a few calories.

I am going to be making an omelet with avocado this morning, no joke! Soon, I think.

CWillie, That's what I am doing, sticking to my bed so I won't be seen in public doing my pitiful shopping in a motorized cart. It's not that I run into things too much. People may think I am too young to be using the cart.
So Nacy, people look at me funny in public too. It makes it suspect when I can walk intermittently a short distance. But they are not really watching that closely, are they?

I refuse to get a handicapped sticker, and drive around until a closer spot opens up.

In all seriousness, Cwillie, that was some heroic rehab exercise, having to relearn how to run and bike! Good for you!

Over-sharing is a sign of declining mental health. But I am still okay. Aren't I?
(1)

Ambulating to toilet, still able ✅ @ 3:00 a.m.
Stretching to touch floor while searching for glasses that fell off the bed in the middle of the night .✅
Walking to refrigerator and back to bed with my cold water bottle, 500 ml was heavy.✅
Hopping a bit after hitting my toes on something in the dark. ✅
Lifting my nightgown to see if I have any abs yet, and a cheeto fell out. ✅

Don't compare your exercise routines to mine. I am much less active in the heat of the day. 🛌

(joking)
(3)

Lol, I guess your right Cwill, but for me it wasn't to be noticed it to me is like yawning or scratching an itch.
(1)

Stretching at the park - normal. Stretching in the grocery store - uhm.... okay, I'd think that was a little bit strange and attention seeking. But heck, when I was relearning how to run and bike I kept to the trails so people couldn't see my pitiful efforts.
(2)

I read something on Reddit this morning that has also been on my mind.

I'm a stretcher, 😆 I love to stretch, use to do yoga a lot.

Anyways this person was complaining about people looking at her odd when she is in public and stretches. I've often stood in line at a grocery store, stretched my arms up my neck, and have had people look at me weird.

Isn't stretching good for you or am I and the lady on Reddit odd? 😆 Should I keep my stretching inside the house?

20 years ago, people would look at you odd if you carry a water bottle around.

So I'm thinking maybe 10 years down the road it maybe will be more excepted and less odd?
(1)

Try excercising each body bit separately. When we are young, it’s about standing up and moving everything – and of course that’s best for aerobic fitness. But just feet pushed against something solid, or just arms picking up weights when you are lying down on the bed, is better than nothing. Rolling from side to side, raising your bum off the mattress - every bit has muscles that can be moved separately. Strong ankles have a real value, and so do the other body bits.
(3)

Last day for low humidity so going out for a walk, enjoy it while I can!
(1)

Elizabeth, there are a lot of chair exercises on YouTube and Instagram now, also
(2)

Yes, you may not be able to do the exercises shown, but my go to is the Youtube video, "This Aerobic Video Wins Everything"
(0)

Elizabeth, 87 and just starting to accept a cane, sounds like your doing great.

Honestly I think canes are kind of cool. Saw a show on Netflix bridgerton, a lady has a cane and she seems powerful with it.

Riverdale, 👏🤗
(2)

My area has a senior center which has a very reasonable annual fee. There are also classes of all sorts as well as a gym. Some classes are free but others such as pilates,barre, yoga etc have a $6.00 fee for a 50 minute class.

There are also other activities that are non exercise related. There are periodic trips, There is a fairly extensive library. Overall it is a social environment. It is strictly for seniors. I can't recall if the minimum age to join is 50 or 55 but right around there.

I do some other classes elsewhere but this is a good alternative on days I can't find other classes offered. If nothing else I use the gym although that is my least favorite activity as I prefer structure. One can also hire a personal trainer at a much lower rate that is generally offered elsewhere.
(1)

Up until last winter I was able to walk every day, 1-2 miles/day. Then my back decided to "check out" (due to degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, scoliosis). I'm trying to figure out how to stay as mobile as possible, but it's not easy at 87 with chronic pain. I'm trying to get on board with using a cane. (My latest "fashion accessory". Ha!)
(1)

When you think about nature, and how are bodies are made to automatically do things , like the sucking reflex after birth.

And birds are made to fly, rabbits are Hopers,

We were made for walking, I think that's the best thing we can do for are bodies

Missed you Alva
(3)

Walking, walking, walking does it for me. I also (unfaithfully) do balance exercises, as my balance is something I notice. Wish I was more social; would head out to a Tai Chi class.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter