Follow

My mother has dementia and it's a struggle getting her dressed and undressed. It's especially difficult to change her clothes if the clothes are wet and soiled. Our family struggled with this for about a year until I found a shirt that opens in the back. If anyone else has this struggle, look for "adaptive wear". There are several different options from ties to clips and velcro. I personally find the velcro option the best as it's easier to close quickly and you don't have to aim like you do with clips. There are several options on Amazon. Hope this is helpful.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I’m battling with a family member now that still wants to wear button-up shirts and jeans.....yet can’t use the toilet himself or walk. He needs adaptive wear, I don’t know how to introduce this.
(0)

Great tip.

Can I add imo stretch is better than non-stretch to get over heads & around arthritic shoulders. Cardigans easier than pullovers/jumpers. Elastic waist pants over pants with flies for speed. Many ladies prefer dresses. One lovely lady I met wore long skirts with elastic waists she put on over her head & wriggled down into place as she couldn't bend down to step into it. I thought that was quite clever.

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to do some more research now.
(1)

Thanks for sharing.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter