Follow

I have Humana HMO and I haven't been able to find any doctors that accept this. I live in an assisted living in memory care and don't have anyone to help me. I need to see doctors and find someone to be my person to help me.

Humana HMO is the worst. I changed my insurance at the end of 2023 to find a gastroenterologist who would return my calls. Humana seems attractive because it is free in most states but you pay the price with dreadful MD response. I encourage you to check out different insurance during the sign-up period.
(1)

Open enrollment starts Oct 1 so look into switching. When my MIL would present her Humana card, the staff would audibly sigh, shake their heads, roll their eyes and act disgusted. It was super crappy insurance 10 years ago and apparently still is.
(0)

My parents have Humana HMO and I always call Humana (the customer service number on the back of your humana card) and they are helpful in identifying accepted providers. If you are in Assisted Living or Memory Care the director should help you contact your insurance or connect with someone who can help you switch insurance.
(0)

Humana has a bad track record. They have taken over major health care plans including Tricare for Life a military health program for retired military .Tricare for life was always the gold standard and happily accepted by Drs. Since Humana took over management, Drs. Refuse to accept. Why should they when Drs. are receiving so little reimbursement and pay out is so slow.
This is devastating to this country.
(2)

You may have to switch insurances. See if the Director can help you with this. Call the County Office of Aging and see if someone can come to you and discuss other options.

My Mom had her own Dr while in the AL. And even if OPs AL can provide a Doctor, I would think they are contracted with insurance companies. Years ago Moms employer's insurance changed. I had to get Mom a new plan. One of the plans allowed was Humana. At the time, no Dr in my area excepted them. Did not even know who they were.
(0)

If you live in Memory Care, you should have a doctor already.

That doctor will most likely be visiting you at your facility.

Also, most people in Memory Care would not be in charge of getting their own doctors or appointments.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Can you give us some more details?
(0)

My husband had to switch HMO from Humana to something else, because they stopped accepting it in upstate NY. But we had a notice and a long time to figure out which HMO he wanted to go with.

So sorry you didn't know this before hand
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter