Follow

My mind is fine, but I am physically limited - I fall a LOT and break bones because I have osteoporosis. I was a university professor and an administrator for a $24 million dollar grant for HIV care to indigent patients. I am afraid to live alone any longer because of the falling. I need someone to come in a couple of times a week. I live in the Florida Keys,

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My mother improved greatly with home health. This includes physical and occupational therapy.

They also send an aide to help with bathing if needed. An RN will come to take your medical history and make certain recommendations. She will document everything in a file for you.

It’s covered by your insurance. Ask your doctor to order home health. Best wishes to you.

You could also visit assisted living facilities in your area.
(1)

Age is only as old as you feel they say.

My feet are so cold today they are stone aged! Boom boom 😁 (Call me corny!)

Well I suppose I'd recommend having a good think about what you need & what you enjoy. Then does your current home provide this? Can home care provide the extra support you need?

You could trial having someone come in? For strenuous tasks or higher falls risk activities (eg laundry, showering, shopping).

Also consider an OT for any grab rails, assistive furniture or devices if you think that would help too.

If after your trial you still feel unsafe or your needs not met, start looking at plan B. Finding a nice village type location with add-on options.

I love living where I am, but I need to downsize. My future aim is to continue to be independant in my space. If that means swapping the garden for a patio, dinning room for a small table nook, so be it. I've watched some practical minded relatives do it. They know they can be happy with the right attitude inside a different set of walls.
(0)

I would recommend an Assisted Living if u can afford it. I agree, you need more than an aide a few times a week. And I too recommend asking ur Dr to write an order for PT and OT.

My Mom had Neuropathy in her ankles and walked with a walker. She was told to never pivot.
(0)

First, you should consider wearing automatic call button so if you fall you can get immediate help. Do you keep in daily touch with family, friends and colleagues? That can be good, too.

There are nice, safe, specialized caring communities around the US that cater to older adults who need various levels of assistance. If you live in the community it could be independent living in a detached house/bungalow/villa and someone can come when you want or need. Help is then only minutes away 24/7.

If you need more assistance, possibly in the future, you can live in an apartment on the grounds where there are aides and nurses on your floor and can check on you on a regular basis. If you ever need 24 hour hands on care then you can get that. too.

These communities have expertise in dealing with older people issues and you might find your level of health and happiness get better being there. For example, many of them have lots of stimulating activities and they can take you shopping and to other places. They are almost like luxury resorts where every whim is catered to.

Personally I would get out Florida, at least for the summer months which are very hot and humid, and go to a more healthy climate, like Northern California.
(1)

You also wrote in your profile:

" I have severe neuropathy in my feet (not diabetic) and multiple compression fractures in my spine which are very painful."

Dear Elisheva2, my eldery LO fell 3 times (and broke bones 2x) even though a family caregiver was right there with her. So, having someone "come in a couple of times a week" is not going to solve your problem. Also, there is a labor shortage so hiring help is more difficult than it's ever been. What about background checks for anyone you hire? What about having a sub when your main person can't come all of a sudden? Even if you went through a good agency, they themselves are having staffing problems. And... you're in the Keys... so, options are way more limited.

A good care community will give you the attention and medical care you need. Is anyone your DPoA? If not, this needs to dealt with so that you don't become a ward of the county.

Finally, even very smart people can develop age-related dementia and memory loss. It happens very slowly when it does. No one likes to think about this possibility, but if you're on your own this is something you need be realistic about so that you can plan accordingly.

I wish you all the best!
(2)

Elisheva, welcome!

If you are falling a lot and breaking bones, you need something different than someone coming in a few times a week.

You need an evaluation of WHY you are falling and what can be done to prevent those falls.

Have you had an evaluation for Physical Therapy? A PT can also tell you of you should be using a walker, at least temporarily.

Have you had your doctor order an OT to evaluate your home for safety?

Consider working with a personal trainer to improve your balance and develop your core strength.

I'm about to be 70 (can't figure out how that happened either!) I find swimming (at my local another great exercise for my old bones. My 90 year old friend swims every day!

Eta, have you considered an Independent Living Facility?
(9)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter