Follow

I am a caseworker on Maui and I work with clients who depend on Medicaid. I have a client who wants to get into Long Term Care. How can you help me.

Find Care & Housing
This the info for Hawaii Medicaid on Maui
Millyard Plaza
210 Imi Kala Street, Suite 101
Wailuku, HI 96793-1274
View on Maps

Phone 1(800) 316-8005
Fax 1 (800) 576-5504
(0)

I have to agree. As a caseworker who handles Medicaid, I think you would have some knowledge of how Medicaid LTC works. If not, a co-worker that does.

Social Services handles Medicaid and thats were you client needs to apply. It would not hurt to set up an appt for your client and ask what they need to bring with them. Since you are new to the process maybe you should go with them. They will need to prove all assets. Need to prove monthly income of SS and any pension they receive. A list will be given the client of what Medicaid needs. There is an asset limit, my State $2000. There is an income limit, my State was $2300 a few yrs back. If your client exceeds that, then you need to see if Hawaii allows Qualifying Income Trusts also known as Miller trusts. A house and car are exempt assets. Then there is...is there a spouse. If so, then assets need to be split to protect the Community spouse. Medicaid needs to know of this spouse because they are titled to part or all of the monthly income to live on. Yes, it gets very complicated so your client needs a caseworker well versed in Medicaid LTC.

I must say, the last time I talked to my nephews Medicaid health caseworker, all I heard was "I do workability". My nephew had not been working and I was asking how I could get Medicaid health when not working. She did not even tell me how. Just "I am workability" So, I can see where maybe your job is specific to, lets say, Medicaid health and someone else does LTC.
(0)

I agree with Dawn88, if you are a caseworker it seems you aren't a very good one, aren't you supposed to be the one with the answers and knowledge of local resources?
(1)

Ask Maui County Social Services if they can help. How can you be a Caseworker without this basic knowledge?
(1)

If you're a caseworker, then are you a social worker? Do you work for the county/state? Why are you asking us this question and not your superiors? Are you a consultant?

LTC is assessed as medically necessary by one's doctor. It usually means the person is completely unable to do any ADLs and is bedbound, or profoundly ill so that they need 24-hr medical oversight. Then, they need to qualify financially. In most states the look-back period on the app can be 5 years.
(1)

We are a forum of caregivers to elderly loved ones here on Agingcare. The parent company, A Place For Mom, helps folks find placement in Assisted Living and Independent Senior Living when they are paying privately.

Good luck.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter