Follow

We hear so many stories about the hardships of aging due to this being an online ‘support group.’ It would be great to hear positive feedback on aging once in awhile.

What do you like about being older versus disliking, fearing or dreading aging?

Please name at least one good thing in your life in after reaching age 50 or older.

I remember feeling older when I received my first AARP advertisement in the mail at age 50.

There wasn’t a category for this so I chose Senior Health.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I'm 51. I'll be 52 in August. I like the fact that I've made it to this age, for one. We've lost a lot of young people in my family. 2 infants, a 31 year old, my 54 year old uncle and 57 year old grandma. So every year I get closer to their age, is a great milestone.
I had my son at 39 after being told we couldn't have kids on our own, and being an older mother was good for me. He has kept me feeling younger. He motivates me to work hard to stay healthy so I can be here to see him grow up.
Also at this age, I know who I am, what I want, and I don't care what people think anymore. This is a big deal after a lifetime of worrying what other people think. I do what I want, wear what I want, and say what I want. (of course I'm still polite lol). I used to plaster myself with makeup when I was young. I never felt pretty enough without it. After having my son I didn't have time for that at first, and I got used to not wearing it. Now I LIKE my face without it and I never could say that before.
Being older just changes your priorities.
So, those are some positive things about being older, although it's probably more in general than being related to caregiving.
And even though I'm looking my age more and sometimes it's like, "Wow, when did I get so old?", I always say getting older sure beats the alternative. It's privelege denied to many!
(1)

Thank you way2 tired.
I really think we need good discussions and ideas about how to improve our lives as caregivers.
(1)

I’ve learned to be more flexible . To roll
with the punches and more accepting when things change and not to sweat the small stuff . I hope as I get even older, that these lessons will help me to focus on what I can do and not be grouchy because of what I can’t do. I want to make the best of the time I have left.
I am 58.
(2)

I learned that I needed a plan for my old age. And that plan was not for my kids to be saddled with trying to figure out what to do with me.
(2)

Ana,

I struggled forever to have a child. We adopted a beautiful baby girl.

I discovered that I was pregnant and gave birth at 40 years old. So, we have two miracle babies!

I’m 67.
(2)

Evamar

Very inspiring . !
(1)

I can honestly say I feel better with age. Hitting 50 or 60 is not big deal at all, I feel good because I take better care of myself especially being caregiver and I cannot emphasize that enough, we have responsibility to ourselves to lead better lives.
Often, we think we can prolong lives by taking better care of LO, of course they deserve it and we all strive to maintain better quality of life for them, but, realizing there is nothing that can be done with progressive disease with no cure frees me in some ways.
With unapologetic selfishness which really is self preservation I do everything to maintain my quality of life as well.
(3)

Ana,

Sounds comfy! 😊
(0)

Way2tired, I bought a pair of super baggy denim overalls with colourful embroidery. Pure hippie comfort! (can even skip the bra)
(2)

I am over 50, but my biggest aging change came the day I turned 40. That day I had a call from the lab telling me I was pregnant, but that’s another story.

Turning 40 made me feel old enough to drop out of society’s competition. I felt too old to be sexy. Too old to be trendy. Too old to play sports competitively - now I play what I call “old fart beer league”. And I found all of that incredibly and delightfully liberating.

I laugh more easily. I shed anger more quickly. I care less about what others think. I take more chances. I speak out more. I surround myself with things and people that hold meaning to me, not because they’re stylish or popular. I embrace nature more. I bestow my wisdom upon anyone silly enough to give me an opening. (like you, poor reader)

Seems I’ve run out of rats’ buttocks to give about the small stuff. And if I can’t laugh at it, I try to learn from it.
(4)

Greater appreciation.
(1)

That I have recently embraced wearing jeans with elastic waist and I’m not ashamed .
(4)

I'm healthy & wake up every morning. Like a bottle of wine, I need to age a little longer. Haven't found that happy place yet
(3)

CaringinVA,

Independence is fabulous! I am glad that you are embracing ‘YOU.’
(1)

cxmoody,

I have two grown daughters but no grandchildren. If I did have them, I know that I would adore them. You are truly blessed.

I think the relationship between a grandparent and grandchild is so special! It’s totally different than a parent and child.

My best memories of my parents are those of seeing them with my children. They had a very special bond.
(2)

Great answers! Totally agree with a good sense of humor helps! Certainly wisdom comes with age.

My MIL often made me giggle when she would refer to her ‘young and stupid days.’ We’ve all had those!
(2)

Becoming a Grandmother has been the absolute best gift of being past 50.

I had no idea how much my heart would grow!

He’s 3 and a half now. A joy!

Midkid used to call her grandson a little raccoon. My family has taken on this name for our precious guy, as well. He NEVER runs out of energy, and gets in a whole lot of mischief!

Also, I am THAT grandmother. I am sooo quick to pull out my phone:“Would you like to see a picture of my grandson”? 😂🤣😂🤣
(3)

NeedHelpWithMom, I am 76 years old. I learned from my Dad that one needs a good sense of humor as they age, so I am following Dad's lead. A good laugh does make age related issues easier to deal with :)

Being older helped me land a great job 12 years ago, as being seasoned in my profession was exactly what my new boss wanted. I was 64 at the time, my boss was 75. We would joke we would only retire if the time came where we needed Uber to drive us back and forth from work :)

I also did volunteer work at a local regional hospital for over 20 years. Covid stopped the older volunteers from coming in, too much of a risk. It is still a risk. I do miss my desk mate as we spent our down time comparing caregiving notes, that was so positive knowing we both were dealing with the same issues.

Another thing I realize, back when I was polite to elders, I see younger people doing the same to me. I need to remind myself I am now an "elder" so enjoy it.

Remember the standing joke of an elder driving in the left lane, going 20 mph under the speed limit, and the left blinker blinking.... well, that person is now my hubby.... [sigh]. Maybe he needs to do old fashioned hand signals, that arm would quickly come back into after the turn.
(6)

Being able to embrace ME, totally - mind, body, and spirit. Knowing that I am more than just my weight, body shape, accomplishments, et cetera. (Or at least I am closer to that mindset than I ever have been before lol) And like Geaton said, having wisdom. Priceless.
(3)

Wisdom.
(3)

I am 67!

I love being able to see better now than when I was younger due to having cataract surgery. I wore glasses for years and now I no longer need them. Most people after surgery will still need reading glasses but my eye surgeon worked her magic and I don’t even need reading glasses!

I like being an empty nester! I don’t understand why people miss their kids living at home. We still see our children often enough.

I like not caring as much about what other people think. I cared much more when I was younger.

What’s your favorite thing about being older? Is it retirement? Traveling? Something simple? Something funny? Please share.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter