Follow

I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughtful guidance even if it wasn't to a question that I posted. I have been reading posts here for over a year to get prepared for my journey with my mom and dementia.

My mom successfully moved into a beautiful AL apartment yesterday even though it broke her heart and mine. It was the hardest day of my life and the grief is tough. Your posts made me realize that this course of action is for the best because I cannot be a caregiver-I want to be her daughter.

I will continue to read posts for additional insight and guidance.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Good for you. Your heart will mend as you see how much better off she is there.
(1)

The tough decisions in life often turn out to be the best ones, ultimately. My folks really did like AL life and it helped preserve our relationship.

Best of luck to you!
(2)

(((((hugs)))))
(0)

Congratulations Scblueheron - tough decision sounds Like it is for the Best . I hope she Makes friends . You will still have to watch Over her and Look Out for her best Interests .
(0)

I wish I had stood my ground, not falling into the trap of trying to guide my mom… because of it , I became the caregiver , not the daughter..( even that she didn’t physically live with me) I applaud the OP…
(2)

Scblueheron - You did the difficult thing, but the correct one. I hope your mom will learn to like her new home soon.
(4)

I’m sure that it was a difficult day for you and for your mom.

Your mom has said goodbye to her former life but she is also saying hello to being cared for around the clock. This must bring each of you peace.

Times of transitioning are always the hardest. Once she is settled in she will adjust and so will you.

It was so sweet of you to thank everyone on this forum. You’re certainly welcome.

Please stick around on the forum to share your experience with others. You may still have questions about your mom’s situation and others here who have experienced similar situations will be able to assist you.
(6)

OP. Wonderful post !! , I admire how you are grieving and also recognizing that it’s ok to be a daughter and not a caregiver . . Tips on long distance caregiving would be helpful . I’m probably looking at that within the next year with MIL . So far I’ve only done local with my parents and FIL

Best of luck .
(6)

Bluheron
Thanks for letting us know that the forum helped you. Remember that you also have experiences that will help others. Feel free to share your wisdom as a long distance caregiver who helped her LO make a tough transition. There are many transitions in aging.
Welcome to the forum.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter