Follow

I'll try to make this short. Took mom to the ER on Tuesday. She was in a great deal of abdominal pain. She was admitted and several issues were found. The one of greatest concern was the reoccurrence of diverticulitis. She had surgery for it many years ago, and it's back. She is in an excellent health care facility and is receiving top notch care, although she says she is being treated terribly.

Today she took a mental turn for the worse. Screamed and cried for over six hours that she wanted to go HOME NOW!!! She cannot be released until her follow-up CT is read. She was screaming at me, the nurses, the doctor, everyone. Called me every vile name in the book. Said I tricked her into going to the hospital. It was all a scam and she was being kept prisoner. Then she thought she was in church. Then at school. I trick her, lie to her, steal from her. Then my brother called and she was sweet as pie.

I fear that her scans will show that she is not ready for release and I will have to go through this again every day until she's released. I have my own chronic health conditions and run out of steam by about 4PM.

She was finally given Atavan and that finally knocked her out so I could go home. I am not going back until I get the call she is being discharged. Amid all this she thinks I am driving 150 miles round trip every day to take care of her cats. I am not, but they are being cared for and they are fine. They're cats.

We are going to have to get some home care, which she will fight every step of the way. I cannot and will not move in with her.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Good news indeed!
(1)

Follow up. My mom came home Sunday! My brother came Saturday. Mom was delirious and hallucinating all day Saturday. She has never been like that before. Physically she could have been discharged. We were very concerned she was either going to die, or be in a delusional state for the long term.

Sunday she was cognizant and verbal. Once she got home she improved greatly within less than 24 hours. Being in her home of 45 years, with her cats made her happier and more "with it" than I'd seen in years. It was like the clock turned back five years.

Thanks for your support. Things are looking up!
(2)

How are things going, B?
(0)

Thanks for your responses. Mom has suffered from depression and anxiety for years. She was widowed twice, once at 36 and again at 71. Never any therapy or medication. She doesn't believe in it. The hospital is hoping to discharge her today. I can imagine they can't wait to get rid of her! Still waiting to hear from the doctor. My brother is on his way from his home, which is a 6 hour drive. I am going to let him deal with her today. I am not going back to the hospital unless he is there.
(4)

Ask if she can be released to rehab rather than home. It will be easier to get a read on her needs if she is in rehab for a bit.
(3)

Several years ago, when my mom was just at the beginning of living in a nice AL, she stared having some issues with her blood pressure. After extensive investigation, they got a neuro consult and that caused her to be admitted to the hospital. At some point, the consulting neurologist said he wanted to do a 3 day EEG. Mom was admitted to a lovely, quiet specialized unit, electrodes attached to her head and her head wrapped, turban style. She got settled peacefully into bed and we all said goodnight and went home.

I went to work the next day and got a call from the nurse on the unit mid-morning. The woman said, "Good morning, Barb; your mom would like to speak to you". My mother got on the phone and whispered to me. "You need to come get me. This is all a scam. I'm being held prisoner".........What ensued can only be described as desperately sad and hilarious all at the same time. My mother was convinced that she was being held prisoner in a parking garage mocked up to look like a hospital. (In case this sounds familiar to anyone, it is a replay of a Monk episode. None of us figured that out at the time). By the time I got to the hospital, my mother was trying to escape, had ripped the turban and some of the electrodes off, was screaming at the young male nursing assistant who been assigned to sit outside her room ("he's INTIMIDATING ME") mom was screaming...the guy was near tears.

To make a long story short, mom had what is sometimes termed hospital psychosis. Happens to folks of all ages, but very common in elders. We got a psych consult; was told mom would probably come back to baseline once released but that she was certainly past the point of being able to live alone, based on the doc's brief assessment of her reasoning ability. He gave us some great advice about what level of support she needed. The AL where she was would have been great for someone with greater medical needs; what my mother needed at that point was better support for socialization and help with her lifelong anxiety, neither of which we were taking into account.

My advice to you would be to ask the hospital to have one of their psychiatrists visit your mom. It helped that we were there to confirm mom's answers to the doctor's questions (listening to mom's political views, the doc looked at us and said "new or always?"--my brother's reply was "oh, that's mom-slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun").

Your mom likely needs a higher level of care--either a supportive facility or some level of home care. But get a professional assessment of her needs after this acute episode resolves and make sure that you take into account her physical AND psychological needs.

Also, make sure the hospital checks for a UTI. They can cause these kinds of symptoms in elders.

Moving in with your mom would probably be a dreadful idea. It would have been a disaster for me and mom. Frankly, even having lovely aides was not what mom needed; they made mom MORE anxious. What mom needed was a place where folks were around if she needed them and she had her privacy when she needed THAT.
(4)

bolliveb- is there a reason you have to see her each day at the hospital while she's having a meltdown? It does no good to you.

Can you call the nurse station and check on her? Or the nurse/doctor can call you if needed? Or if you do show up, can you stay just long enough to check on her status and if anything is needed from you, then leave?

If you don't need to be there physically and be subjected to her vile tantrum, then don't.

Also, I agree. DO NOT move in with her, or her with you.
(5)

Just keep repeating that last sentence and you'll make it through :)
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter