Follow

I’m trying to keep up my New Year’s resolution of exercising, but I’m struggling! I can’t easily leave the house to participate in classes or go to the gym, and I don’t have anyone to encourage me or hold me accountable for exercising at home.

I know I’m not the only one feeling like this! Would anyone else like to become long-distance workout buddies on this website?

- What motivates you to exercise?

- What are your goals?

- What exercise activities do you enjoy or find work the best for you?

If you’re interested, let’s encourage each other and share our accomplishments. Maybe this will help motivate positive change in our lives.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Malls are a fun place to people watch. So are airports!

Indoor walking tracks are a perfect solution for people in colder climates.
(0)

This is a small town, when they were making plans to update the combination community centre and hockey arena people asked for an indoor walking track but it was deemed too expensive🙄. There is no seniors centre, and if there are any exercise classes they'll be put on by home care groups and aimed at the 80+ crowd.

There are still two large malls left in the nearest city there but they are too far away to take advantage of. What used to be my favourite mall in the city has had the upper floor taken over by offices, I used to love going there to people watch.
(3)

cw,

My uncle who lived in New Jersey had the same problem during the winter months.

He exercised regularly after his heart issues began. He enjoyed his long walks outside when the weather was nice.

In the winter he would walk in Home Depot because it was a large store. One day the security guard approached him and questioned him as to why he saw him daily in the store without making any purchases.

My uncle explained that he was getting his exercise by walking inside and the security guard understood.

Does your town have a senior center that holds exercise classes? Or a gym facility?

I wish there were more gyms that had indoor pools for year round swimming. It would make more sense to me. Same with hotels when traveling during the winter season.

Many hotels have beautiful outdoor pools that are only used during the summer months. I love going to a hotel with an indoor pool so I can swim at any time of the year. Plus I don't have to apply sunblock on my skin.

Malls are disappearing all over and is no longer an option. They are being transformed into other places, some are going to be utilized as assisted living facilities.
(0)

We've moved into the cold and wet time of year and today I'm stuck in the house, I do sometimes walk with my umbrella in the summer but when it's cold it's just too miserable. And since I'm in a small town the biggest indoor spaces are the grocery and hardware stores - I miss having a mall nearby.
(1)

I hope all AC members are getting a little exercise in here and there as 🍁🍁🍁🏋️‍♀️Fall 🏋️‍♀️🍁🍁🍁is upon us.

I have been pretty consistent continuing my 15 minute YouTube exercise video (JJ's Fit Club Workout 1.0) routine Monday, Wednesday and Friday and have found I am really turning a corner with it: for instance, today, I felt much peppier during the "step-up" portion of the video (stepping up on a stool or chair holding a lighter weight), and I have been able to do more reps of several exercises.

Also, besides reassuring myself that “it’s only 15 minutes,” I also find exercising more palatable when I give myself permission in advance to switch out any routines within the 15 minute video. For instance, sometimes I do a deep stretch or just a more fun exercise instead of one of the ones in the video. It works for me!
(4)

cw,

I have seen those. It does look fun.

I loved jumping on a trampoline when I was a kid. Bungee jumping has the same fun vibe as trampoline jumping.
(0)

I just found some bungee exercise videos on YouTube and it looks like so much fun! I want one for my home (lol)
(1)

So I guess one shouldn't assume that all those ladies doing a little dance when they are in line need the toilet.... they are just exercising? 😜
(1)

Need, I do calf raises up onto toes in queues too!
Cwillie, I also do marches or squats while the kettle boils!

We are all just fabulous 👏 👏👏

This week I've been researching the GLA:D program (GLA:D®, Good Life with osteoArthritis from Denmark). Took some searching but found videos online to instruct me.

Once dinner goes down it is time for 'trunk' exercises. I hope they make me look LESS tree trunk shaped 😁
(3)

I do that too, cw. Same thing with waiting in a long line at the coffee shop. LOL 😆 Who cares if people think it’s funny or weird. I will do calf strengthening exercises. You know, standing up on our tippy toes.

I see people tapping their feet while waiting in line.
(2)

Having trouble fitting exercise into your days? It's amazing how much you can get done if you are mindful while you are waiting for your coffee to brew or the microwave to reheat your lunch. In just 2 minutes I can easily get 200 steps by marching in place, dancing to a song or pacing - or maybe you'd rather try a few squats or other exercises!
(1)

Unfortunately accessing physio isn't exactly a straightforward process, the most I've done is think about it and search the web for DIY solutions. But I guess it's like anything else with my healthcare, I tend to gravitate toward an eat, drink and be merry philosophy. LOL
(3)

cw - have you seen a physiotherapist about it? They could better assess what changes you could make. My aunt had a hump but she had osteoporosis. I don't think age is necessarily an obstacle to physical change, ( seniors recover from hip and knee ops.), though it may be in some cases. Muscle can be strengthened at almost any age. Certainly ligaments and tendons become less flexible as you get older. Don't I know it! 🤔 On the other hand, you may be right if you have a kyphosis other than postural.
(1)

Golden - I'm pretty sure I've seen (and used) that video before, and a lot of similar ones. The advice all sounds as though it would be helpful for the younger folks who are suffering with poor posture due to sitting at a desk all day (and I do admit that at this point in my life I do too much of that), but I'm unconvinced there is any hope for lasting benefit for someone past a certain age who perhaps has more structural issues. Dowager's hump runs in my family, it seems inevitable.
(1)

cw - check out that video. The neck and upper back exercises are done standing up. Gently does it. I am surprised how much my muscles are talking to me this morning. It's good as it shows the exercises are working

Hazel was a force!!!!
(2)

And Hazel McCallion was ice skating into her 90's.

I've got a terribly rounded back and forward head posture and I do worry that it will cause problems for me, my rounded spine is a lifelong thing though, as a child I was always being told to "stand up straight". At this point lying flat on the floor and trying exercises to straighten my spine is not just difficult it can cause pain, and I'm not sure there is any point to it.
(3)

Thought this might be of interest here.

It was posted by ConnieCaretaker under "Never underestimate a woman."

https://www.facebook.com/reel/789175772837780

What I can see is that the lady has great core and leg strength but needs work on her upper back and neck,

I noticed that as I am 86 and working on my upper back and neck. I'm not as bent as she is but it is an area that needs work in many of us due to our smart phone and other tech habits.

This video has exercises that are easy to follow and are effective, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C-wfV27bzI&list=PLdZNbVXrfBDzeI2_MTK3-HGXCg4bqYGRp&index=8

My muscles in that area are talking to me. Remember you need a few days rest between sessions. My new heating pad is being useful this morning!!!😊

My exercise regime, which is sporadic according to how I am feeling, now makes up for the lack of lifting groceries due to delivery during covid . I have put a heavy pipe wrench in a grocery bag and carry that with me when I walk -switching arms. I can throw in more tools as I want heavier weights. Cans would work too but I may use them for cooking. 😋
(2)

I am back out with daily walking on non treatment days and still doing therapy for my shoulder break. Two years ago my husband talked me into hormone pellet therapy, that turned out to be a good thing. Years ago I used to muscle up quite well and had noticed I just wasn't getting the same results from my pilates. The physical therapy people have commented on my muscle growth - I am too embarrassed to tell them it's a result of the pellet therapy.
(2)

Continuing with 15 minute exercise routine video 3x a week plus a few kettlebell swings 2x a week and brisk walk every day if possible. Definitely have more muscle tone than this time last year!

I also am trying to eat adequate protein at each meal every day to maintain muscle mass.
(6)

I have been doing barre and pilates for a number of years. Recently I tried out a new pilates studio and had an incredibly challenging class. I could only do this place once a week as I feel the effects for days afterwards. The other days I do barre or other pilates classes at other places. I am approaching 68. I wish I had found this place years ago.
(5)

Now that the snow has melted and it’s not as muddy, I’m walking and hiking more. I’m hopeful that a knee tweak in May will mean I can trade my hiking boots for hockey skates. My last game was March 2020.
(5)

The weather is nice (at least here in CA) and I am trying to walk faster on my walks, especially up hills, at least for short spurts. Also went out and bought a slightly heavier kettlebell as the one I have was becoming a bit too easy.

Anyone else getting back into their exercise routines as Spring has sprung? Anything new that you’re trying? 👟 🎾 🥾
(3)

❤️🙂 i want to be like your aunt, polarbear.

the reality? i'm munching my chocolate easter eggs 3 days before i'm allowed to! and drinking hot chocolate. and about to put whipped cream, again. straight into my mouth.
(3)

My 75 y.o. aunt uses whole organic lemons, blends them, skin and all, adds honey and water, and drinks a cup of this daily. She is very healthy, takes no medicines, and looks way younger than her age. I can't say it's all due to the lemons. She eats healthy and in small portions, and keeps her weight low.
(3)

Has anyone drank lemon water regularly/daily? Did you notice any changes/benefits? I just read an article in medicalnews that has me thinking I should give this a try.

https://medical-news.org/7-benefits-lemon-water/987/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN3&utm_campaign=23852719455600206&utm_content=23852719455660206_23852719456580206&fbclid=IwAR1x1NLky3rgeK3bHeqv86tTtXxvpgH6q8FGcPNK5JzRt8lvfe7xBidW0Mk

Maybe I should add black strap molasses to the lemon water?I

https://medical-news.org/top-ten-home-remedies-strengthening-leg-muscles/1730/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN5&utm_campaign=23852401469630529&utm_content=23852401469760529_23852401471300529/5/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN5&utm_campaign=23852401469630529&utm_content=23852401469760529_23852401471300529/4/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN5&utm_campaign=23852401469630529&utm_content=23852401469760529_23852401471300529/3/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN5&utm_campaign=23852401469630529&utm_content=23852401469760529_23852401471300529/2/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MN5&utm_campaign=23852401469630529&utm_content=23852401469760529_23852401471300529&fbclid=IwAR3Rjkw6VxYyO0SiW4F9IpJSc0aP-6Zg-zKwwmH8w3NzYQhdP6RtpHlY6zc
(1)

new version of the movie "Taken":

"I will look for you.
I will find you.
And we will train legs."
(1)

Yes Glad, through Silver Sneakers, instructor led exercises. My dH is on day 4, doing so well online! Free.
(3)

Snoopy and all, if you have a Medicare Advantage of Supplement that will pay for a gym membership that, in my case, covers all the classes that they offer. The gym I plan I use when my hip stops giving me so much trouble has yoga, pilates, some dance classes and it course Silver Sneakers and Renew Active. The gym receives an amount to keep data to aid in determining the effects of exercise on all things related to health of us olders.

I am doing a program called Mighty Health that is through Renew Active, doesn't cost me a dime. The same sort of deal, I am sure they just be keeping data for some study. Mighty Health is completely online. They have a YouTube channel with their exercise videos. Of course the channel is called Mighty Health.
(4)

I have started going to a weekly yoga class in person again. So far there's been 3 classes, with the same wonderful teacher I have known for many years. It's through my city's Park and Rec Dept, and while a bit pricey, I am feeling it is worth it to just get out of the house and among other people more now that my caregiving time is over (my father passed away at the end of the year). Masks are required, which is a bit awkward for yoga, but no big deal. This teacher was doing Zoom classes after Covid hit (and is figuring out how to offer it still for some folks who are preferring to avoid in-person classes for health reasons), and I dialed into a few here and there, but now it is great just to be in a real-life class, among an interesting variety of people, in the real world.
(7)

❤️🙂

"Twinkle twinkle
little
star
hit the gym
and
lift the bar."
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to