Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
cw,

Maybe, that is what I have to do. Drink some water ‘before’ my coffee like you do. I tend to head straight for the coffee pot.

I wasn’t as concerned about it until my doctor discussed my labs with me and said that so many people are dehydrated and don’t even realize it.

I do drink herbal tea and love it so I thought I might try some of those icee instead of hot. I would get more water that way since the ice is melting in the glass.

I tend to sip drinks and like Gershun said, I don’t meet the daily requirements.
(1)

So drink your diluted tea if you like it, and you can water down juice too. Herbal teas can make interesting iced tea too.🥤🥛☕🫖
I found chugging a big glass of water before my morning coffee and breakfast is a good way to get in some extra fluids (but I usually don't bother🤷🏻‍♀️).
(2)

I struggle to drink enough. I definitely don't meet any requirements whether they are drastic or not. In fact I probably fall into the dehydrated category. My bad.....:O
(2)

cw,

My doctor told me to aim for 64 oz a day and I am struggling to drink that much water.

They are going to keep an eye on my labs.
(1)

Pet peeve rant!

Although coffee and tea can act as diuretics studies have shown that for most people there is a net benefit, especially for those who are regular users - no need to avoid either one.

Studies have also mostly debunked the whole drink X litres of water a day advice

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-nutrition/water-myth
(2)

How do you stay hydrated? I don’t drink enough water, maybe 3 to 4 glasses. I am tired of plain lemon water. I have tried cucumbers in water. What do you put in your water to keep it interesting?

I eat cucumbers too. They are hydrating.

Is diluted tea as hydrating as water? I love coffee and I know that it is a diuretic and dehydrating.

I mainly cycle on my exercise bike and walk. Thinking about adding some weight training. I don’t need to lose weight, mainly want to build muscle strength. My bone density test was okay. I have had severe breaks in the past. I have steel rods in my arm after an accident from years ago.

My doctor told me that I have stage three kidney disease and to stay hydrated.
(0)

I'm having so much fun "dancing" along with my new music playlist that I'm reluctant to stop when the exercise video does. This is one of those times when you look back and wonder why the heck you didn't do this sooner - win win win!!
(3)

That's great. cw. Open YouTube, find a video you like, click on the three dots bottom right, click on save and create a playlist. Voila!!!
(1)

You inspired me to try Golden. I didn't realize I could sign in with the google account I had already created to get PC apps, that makes everything simpler! Yay 🥰
(1)

It doesn't cost me anything to sign in to YouTube, make playlists and listen to them. My playlists are made up of videos I find doing a YouTube search. There is lots of variety and it's that simple.

I hear you about passwords. For things like YouTube where it doesn't matter if someone hacks my password I use a password that I use for other sites that can be hacked with little consequence. And once I am logged in I stay logged in.
(2)

I don't want to sign up, I feel like I already belong to too many things that require passwords.
And I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to find a site or install an app to download new music that isn't going to cause problems, VLC media player was supposed to be able do it but it doesn't work for me. Keep in mind I'm cheap, I don't want to pay I want to listen for free. (Which is why I make due with other people's playlists)
(2)

Creating your own playlist was my first thought. I have a number of them for different moods, and, of course, the cat's playlist. lol
(4)

That is what my dH said to do, create a play list of your own!

Why the reluctance?
(1)

That's essentially what I am doing Send except I'm opening two tabs on my PC. My problem is that I'm relying on other people's playlists, I suppose I could create one of my own if I signed up but I'm reluctant to do that.
(2)

CWillie,
Can you play the workout video and mute it?
Then play your own music from your cell phone?
(1)

I'm still searching for some good music playlists to exercise to on youtube. I've bookmarked several but every one has irritating flaws like slow ballads in the middle of a "workout" video. And as a teen from the 70's - no, every song from that era was not a disco song, and no, all that s#%t from the late 80's does not belong on your playlist.
(2)

Beatty, heat?! Send just a bit this way so we can get streets melting.

Gershun you will get there. Patience.
(3)

Yes physio homework counts!
Chair exercise counts!
Muscle contractions & releases do something too.. (anyone remember Isometrics from the 70's??)

🤔 Not sure about my imagined exercise while lying in bed though..
(4)

You guys make me jealous. As most of you may know I fractured metatarsals on my left foot. It's been 8 weeks and I just completed my 4th day of my physio homework exercises. Does this count as exercise? I guess it's gonna have to for now. Sigh.....

I hope I can get back to my walking eventually. But me thinks it's going to be a while.
(3)

Morning and late afternoon summer time walks are the best Beatty! Decades ago I used to walk with the kids to the school bus stop in the morning and I remember thinking it was the most magical time of the day to be out and about - the angle of the sun through the morning mist, the bird song in the morning, sometimes even some bunnies...
(4)

May I join?
I forced myself to get back to walking yesterday. SO glad I did. The weather does make it hard, but I headed out before the heat & then for a short walk as the sun set.

Thinking of getting a hat as my uniform. To stop lizard brain thoughts to just sit on a rock (couch).

Hat on = go.
(5)

If I do my usual walk to the other end of town and back it's 7500 steps and each 15 minute Leslie Sansone video is about 2000 steps, so that's pretty much my minimum goal each day. Fitness wise that should be enough but I need more than that to keep my weight from creeping back up because I lack the willpower to limit calories.
(5)

Working on it. I do 9,000 steps now most days and yes all inside. If it were on carpet, it may be due for replacement! Thank goodness for hardwood floors! Very cold and still lots of snow on very sloppy streets. That California mess seems to keep working this way.

AARP has some interesting programs. One is called Mighty which is at no cost, trying it out. Might be part of my UHC plan G, just not sure.

CW you are doing great! I cannot manage to get past 9,000 steps plus a few extra!
(4)

Cwillie, good for you for doing what you can after being ill. You are going in the right direction!

NHWM, unfortunately we have swampy conditions here too in CA with the heavy rains. Not at our house but close to streams and creeks in my town it’s been a bit dicey.

On a lighter note, I’m getting a lot of use out of my rain gear!
(4)

My step count has gone way down since I was sick over Christmas, I've fully recovered but I just can't find the motivation to push for more than 10,000. That wouldn't be a problem if only my appetite was reduced too.
(2)

Snoopy, I usually walk or do an exercise bike.

I am envious of your beautiful weather! California is so beautiful. No humidity. Louisiana is a humid swamp! 😆
(2)

OK, New Year, new you!

Any other 2023 exercisers out there? I did some easy, brief kettlebell reps this morning for the first time since my dad passed away at Christmastime. It felt good. Good to keep moving, and to start feeling strong again.

I have been walking, too, every day since my father died (except for one or two extremely stormy days here in Northern CA). That has been a helpful routine, despite a few "gnarly" walks where the grief one feels when a loved one dies was just literally weighing me down at every step. But now it's easier.

Anyone else?
(5)

cwillie- I do sit all the way down for a several seconds. That helps pushes the fluid from the lower legs upward which helps with circulation.

golden - For me, the difference is that you sit all the way down and stand up from that position vs. the traditional squat where you bend the knees and hold.
(3)

So how long do you hold the squat polarbear? I thought the point was to squat and "sit" that way for an extended period, but when you are doing so many you must be doing something else?
(2)

Good for you, polar. Squats are great. Not sure of the difference between Asian squats and regular squats. They seem very similar. I can't do the numbers you can but I must get back to doing a few. Even that brings benefits.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter