Follow

I want to express all my love & compassion to all the caregivers and patients dealing with Alzheimer's/Dementia. xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Dear Medical System,

We, as patients and caregivers of Alzheimer's/Dementia are asking for (rapid health care improvement) and the following:

1. Early Early Early Diagnosis

2. More specialized trained (Doctors and Nurses)

3. MUCH MORE COMPASSION

4. Regular Doctor check-ins (via phone and, if needed, house-calls) to ensure the older population are receiving regular check-ups.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

A.

Find Care & Housing
Doctors have to do their part. The community has to do their part as well.

I am happy to see awareness growing with dementia and Parkinson’s disease.

Look at the attention that Michael J. Fox brought to Parkinson’s disease. Many people with Parkinson’s disease will also get dementia.

My younger brother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. He has been asked to participate in a study and he agreed. He has also participated in a long covid study.

Continuing research is needed. I am fascinated by all of the medical advances that we have seen during our lifetime. It’s astonishing.

Of course, there isn’t a cure for everything, but there is always hope for the future.

My mother had Parkinson’s disease and developed dementia later on. I wish that I had been more familiar with her condition before I started caring for her. Doctors do need to discuss with family members what signs and symptoms to expect down the road, and treatments that are available.

Sometimes I didn’t know what questions that I should be asking. I suppose that I should have read up about Parkinson’s disease and dementia sooner than I did, instead of only relying upon the doctor to tell me everything that I should know.
(0)

Ariel, my husband and I are both "Medicare-age" and receive a phone every 4 weeks from an RN affiliated with our PCP's office. It's a check-in to find out if we need any renewals, if we have any new problems, any falls or worsening of symptoms. This is billed to Medicare and seems to a good model.

I don't know how you would request this service from your physician, but you should ask for it!.
(1)

1. early diagnosis is only possible if the patient actually goes to the doctor regularly and early and expresses concerns. Many people are terrified of getting this diagnosis and therefore avoid it. Currently, diagnosis requires that many other medical/health issues are discounted. Dementias are tricky to diagnose, as are most health issues with very vague and general symptoms (like early stages of pancreatic cancer).

2. I agree that medical professionals should have more/better training when it comes to dementia, but what exactly are you looking for them to do with this training? Where should this be applied?

3. what do you mean by "more compassion"? what aren't they getting right currently? You are painting with a broad brush. Many medical workers are very compassionate.

4. Regular doctor check-ins is completely up to the patient. Doctors can't force their way into people's lives or force people to take care of themselves if they don't want it. Lots of older people willfully neglect themselves for a variety of reasons.

At the end of the day, we the people are responsible for taking care of ourselves.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter