Follow

Here’s a recent article about pros and cons of surgery in the elderly that has good information.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/27/health/older-americans-surgery-risks-khn-partner-wellness/index.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
They are most definitely operating on 90+ year olds these days.
(0)

Thank you for sharing the article. Has info I’m afraid too many do not think of before signing up for surgery. Saw on your profile that you recently lost your mother, so sorry to read. Wishing you peace and healing as you move forward
(2)

SacFol, thank you for posting that article.

I remember when my Dad was having issues with one knee when he was in his early 90's. Dad scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic doctor/surgeon to see what were his options.

In my office building there was a chiropractor who worked across the hall. The doctor would occasionally pop into our office to chat, so I told him about Dad's knee and that Dad was checking out his options. The doctor-across-the-hall said if my Dad decides on surgery, he wanted to speak with my Dad first as he was all against such surgery at my Dad's age. If Dad had said surgery it would take about a year of recovery before Dad would feel comfortable enough to walk. Plus the brain fog from the surgery would last for many months.

I didn't say anything to Dad as I wanted to see what Dad would say at the doctor/surgeon appointment. Sure enough the doctor/surgeon was gun-ho on surgery, wanted to set a surgery schedule, and Dad was gun-ho NOT to have surgery. Dad walked out of the doctor/surgeon's office never to return. Whew !!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter