Follow

Someone asked a question about lying to a parent about the death the parent's parent. My personal experience in caring for my mother was to tell her whatever would make her happy within reason. The was dying from Dementia and I never told her. I did tell her that her parents were no longer living because if I didn't, she would want to call my grandmother.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
After my dad died (and was forgotten within a couple of months), my mom also lost two of her favorite cousins and untold friends. Never in my wildest dreams would I have told her any of that, because there was absolutely no positive value for her to have known that information. We continued to discuss the favorite cousins just like they were in the room, and she was happy as a clam.

Most important was the fact that Mom was pretty sure she was in high school, so my telling her that S or B were dead would have meant to her that two teenagers must have died tragically rather than two 90-year-olds who had died naturally. She didn't remember them as old people -- they (and she) were forever young.

It's very, very important to try to gauge in what time frame your LO thinks they're in. The fact that I was Mom's daughter was lost on her, because in her mind I was a familiar face and name but she wasn't old enough to have a 60-year-old daughter. She was just crowned the prom queen, for heaven's sake! :-)
(2)

My mom lost her only brother 3 years ago. They were not particularly close and she hadn't seen him in almost 10 years when he died. I don't know how long since she had spoken to him.

A couple of weeks ago she was watching a re-run of BONAZA and told me how Michael Landon was best friends with her brother and had been over to his place 'on the coast' (SF) LAST WEEK and had been swimming and having a great time.

Speechless for a minute, then I said "Mom, Michael Landon died 30 years ago!" She argued that, no, he'd been at Uncle Dick's the week before. I said "Mom, Uncle Dick died 3 years ago". She would not believe me.

Thank goodness for Google--which confirmed that Michael Landon had in fact died in 1991 and Uncle Dick had died 3 years ago.

She was upset and sat there like a deflated balloon. I'm not going to try to keep her updated anymore on sad stuff like this. She won't remember anyway and she gets mad at the bearer of bad news.
(0)

I wouldn't necessarily flat out lie to my loved one about anything if I could help it. I would take my time to answer her in an appropriate way like I would my child. I feel like my loved one responded better to a nicer version of the truth than me lying or trying to not answer.
(0)

This is called a "therapeutic fib". As you have figured out there is just no point in retelling and retelling the sad info because they will just mourn all over again each time. Why do that to them? A caregiver tells them what keeps them calm, is the briefest explanation and then, like Grandma1954 says, redirect or distract from there.

In our family we placed a large photo of my MIL and her deceased husband in her room at the facility. Under the photo we have her spouse's birth and death dates large enough for her to read from bed. This seems to have minimized her asking, but not ended it completely.

I think you did what worked best in your situation and that's all one can do. If she couldn't retain the info she would have just kept asking.
(0)

You handled it the best way for you and for your parent.
You can always make "excuses" why "mom, grandma, dad" or anyone else can not be called.
They are at the store, they are at the doctors, or any other excuse you can come up with. The important thing then is to REDIRECT the conversation.
Go from "mom is at the store, do you want some tea and a cookie?" or "dad took the car to the shop for service, do you want to go watch TV? There is a great movie on"
Redirection will get the mind off the sad event and onto something more current or pleasurable.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter