Follow

My step-mothers dementia has gone off the deep end, it is progressing very quickly. We made the decision to place her in memory care before it became an emergency.

It has only been 5 months and the disease has really taken hold. The facility called my brother this afternoon, well she punched another resident in the dining room at lunch because she wanted to sit at her table, guess she really clocked her.

Last night she kicked an old guy that roams up and down the hall at night turning door handles, the doors are locked. Well anyway she opened the door and kicked him right in the nuts! Ha! Had to laugh about that one!

We have agreed to giving her some meds to calm her down, we hope that it helps her, if not, I guess we will have to figure something else out for her.

Always an opportunity for greatness when dealing with a LO with dementia!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
How is any of this funny??

Your stepmother needs to be in an isolated location with major supervision until they figure out how to calm her down. No one should have to put up with that, and the MC's liability would be sky-high if she injures another resident.

There was a violent guy at my mother's MC. He punched a wall and was gearing up to kick out a glass door. He was gone within hours of his arrival. I have a feeling that's going to be your stepmother, too, so I hope you stop laughing and start figuring out where to put a dangerous dementia patient next.
(1)

My mom was like that and eventually she was kicked out of memory care. You need to take this seriously. Get her to the doc for a checkup. There are meds that may help.

My mom, when kicked out, went to a care home that was much better for her. The care ratio was better, more homelike. You might want to do some checking around. The care home was cheaper too!
(1)

Your Mom is only 75... has she be checked for other possible causes of her "dementia-like" behavior? Like a UTI, thyroid problem, brain tumor, stroke, etc.? All physical reasons for her behavior should be discounted... especially since her decline is happening so rapidly. Ugh, I'm sorry that you're going through this. I hope you get accurate answers and solutions.
(1)

I actually feel badly for the residents at your SMs Memory Care who she's abusing! Such things are not funny, especially when the police are called and charges are filed against the person doing the kicking & punching. That does happen sometimes, I've seen it firsthand when I worked at a Memory Care ALF.

I hope the doctor can find meds to calm your SM down so everyone can live in peace, and so she doesn't get asked to leave the MC. Then you have to find her another facility and that's never an easy task. Dementia is a lose-lose situation for everyone, and that's the truth.

Good luck!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter