Follow

My mother-in-law did not renew her driver's license (thankfully) over 2 years ago. She did not apply for a state ID and her passport expired over 2 years ago. We applied for a new birth certificate since our state (MI) requires one with a raised seal. Unfortunately NY provided us with a "certified" copy. We are still waiting for the marriage certificate that we requested in October as she has to account for her name change. NY state states we should get it in FEBRUARY. Both of these cost $$.

In the meantime, she can not fly, bank and could technically be denied healthcare.

Please spread the word how important it is to get an ID. It is much cheaper than a driver's license if you take care of it right away.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
JoAnn, I was referring to the OPs mom about a new passport. My bad if I missed she was renewing.

Yea, a renewal is super simple. You can download any form for the passport nowadays. Which makes it nice. We scheduled to get the pictures and send them off at our local college, all of 10 minutes and we were on our way. We don't let ours expire, so I have no idea about that but, 15 years, wow!
(0)

Isthis, This was a renewal. You have 15 yrs after expiration to get renewed without needing to produce a birth certificate or a marriage certificate. I actually went to our county seat, which I am lucky is 10 min away. The clerk took my renewal form, they then took my picture. My expired passport and the updated paperwork all went into an envelope. We went to the PO and paid to have it sent. We were told it would be 18 wks before we got our new passports because of COVID. We had them in 3 wks.
(1)

JoAnn, you can now download the passport forms. That with a new picture, birth certificate and in this case, her social security card would get a passport. You can pay for expedited turn around.

You are right, it would have been faster then this song and dance she is being put through.
(0)

We used my husbands expired license for the last 6 years of his life. And the only people that asked for it was occasionally his doctor office, and they didn't care that it was expired.
But my husband didn't fly at all, so we didn't have to worry about that, and I had taken over all our banking since he had his stroke in 1996.
(2)

She probably could get her Passport Renewed quicker. All she needs to do is go to the post office and get a renewal form. You do not need to show a birth certificate again or marriage certificate. Its just a matter of a new photo and updating basic info. My question would be, she needed her original BC and ML to get her passport, what happen to them? My bank never asks for ID. The only time I need to show ID is if I am writing a ck or using my Credit Card at someplace.

The important thing I see here is not so much having an ID but making sure important papers are kept secure, like a fire safe box.
(2)

sueschuld1, both my parents' drivers licenses had expired and they were still able to use them even 10 years after expiration at doctor's offices as a form of ID. My folks no longer flew. They had no problems using their old ID at their banks.

Bravo that your Mom-in-law still travels being she is in her late 80's. I can see why she would need current photo ID's.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter