Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Glad,
We received the same Potus letter, again.
It was a repeat duplicate letter announcing the check we had already received in March. Some people have not received it yet.
I do not think a 4th check is coming, but there is speculation online, I now see.

I speculated that it was sent as a political statement/gesture (at the taxpayer expense), to remind us who the president is.

I could be wrong. But it is the same letter, if you can get through reading it.

1st Stimulus was $1200
2nd Stimulus was $600
3rd Stimulus was $1400 rec'd in March
(1)

OK, so I had been staying temporarily at my mom's house for caregiving purposes. My sister takes mom to appts. as I do not drive, I stay with mom and clean her episodes of incontinence, and cook for her, etc. sounds good? Well I just cannot deal with my sister anymore. She is power of attorney and she talks with doctor's, makes appts., etc. Well last week was pure hell with mom. She has advanced liver disease likely due to a malignancy. I've been staying with her in the hospital for the last couple of days after a harrowing week of pain and incontinence. Se has in home nursing care. After a full day of being in hospital with her till 8pm on Friday, my sister casually announces that my mom's three physicians have decided to discontinue care and discharge her to hospice. Ok, here's the thing I was in shock, and totally caught off guard. Went back to mom's house alone and just cried. Next day in hospital with mom, I talk to mom's cardiologist (who is my nephew). He stated that he never said that at all. He said talk to mom now, see if she wants to be frequently hospitalized and treated and discharged, and if down the road when she becomes really ill would she still want treatment or palliative care. Totally different. Turns out my sister doesn't know what hospice means. She doesn't even know what an emergency contact is and never lists me, and yet list our part time caregiver. She also turns her phone off at night so if the hospital tried calling her, they wouldn't be able to get through, and the part-time caregiver would be left with the awesome decision of making life and death decisions for mom. I have begged her over and over not to do this, and to list me as one of the emergency contacts. She doesn't. I tried to explain the implications of telling me and family members that she was going on hospice, but she just doesn't get it. She put us through hell for two days. If I try telling her on the phone, she bites my head off and dismisses me. I tried explaining it in the hospital, and she got up and put her back to me. I finally lost it, it all came out yesterday, and I let her have it. Felt really bad for my mom to see that (she can't hear, she's deaf), she knew I went off. My sister has always done that to me. provokes me till I lose it, then says I'm upsetting mom. I told her I was done with her disrespect, and I left mom's and came back to my own home in another state. We're not talking, and I feel horrible for mom. Don't know what to do, but can't go back until/unless she apologizes and takes responsibility and allows me to at least be legal medical guardian as I cannot trust her with accurately understanding and conveying medical information. Oh and BTW, my brother does nothing at all. I'm always painted as the overly-emotional crazy one. Am I wrong here? What should I do???
(2)

Hope we will have sunshine tomorrow! I have plan a trip to the mountains nearby! Hiking along a mountain trail with tunnels made during The first world war. The home aid is willing to stay here some extra hours and she will have a day off when she needs it. We agree and the agency who sent her here agrees as well!
(5)

spiritu: Thank you for your post. You may want to start your own separate thread with your question as some posters may not have seen your post here. Best of luck.
(2)

Anche: Good for you!
(2)

llamalover: thanks for your response
(2)

spiritu: You're very welcome.
(0)

Thank you Llama. We could go to our trip! We did only half of the trail but that's fine... We have a good excuse to go back!
We had lunch, I just abandoned my diet today and had a nice glass of white wine as well as a slice of apple strudel with whipped cream.
A big big treat for me! Feeling better!
... And elaborating strategies to take some of the burden off my shoulders and mind!
(4)

Anche, glad you had a good break!
(3)

Thank you Barb!
Hugs!
(2)

Anche: You're very welcome. Glad that you were able to go on your trip! And had that delicious strudel.
(2)

Thank you so much! We did another trip today not far from home... My first idea was to go to Venice (only 30km from home) but we finally went to the prosecco hills and to a water mill dating from the XVIIth century.
(4)

Anche: You're very welcome. Good for your other trip.
(0)

I am feeling more at ease since we buried mom’s ashes in our family plot. I feel like I can start to relax and plan for changes that I wish to make in my life.

We are meeting with a realtor this Saturday. I want to sell this large home and downsize. I want to travel again. I really want another dog but am resistant to getting one at this time. It breaks my heart into a million pieces when it comes time to put them down. Toying with the idea of fostering but knowing me, I would end up adopting the pooch! Maybe I should just volunteer at the shelter. I can take them on their walks.
(5)

RIP my little doggy friend I sometimes walked (neighbour's) 😥.

Maybe when we downsize we will get our own..

I did a 'find your dog breed' quiz online for my DH - it choose a Chinese Crested. I had to google it... 🤣🤣🤣

PS I'm sure they are nice.. just not what I expected!
(2)

Oh my gosh, my daughter called a couple of hours ago panicking. She lives in Denver. She was walking her dog and he became extremely disoriented. She called her vet. They are closed on a Sunday, so she had to do an ER visit.

They tested him for drugs. The vet said that she has seen it before. They eat something in the street and they have ingested drugs. So, the vet said that all of the heavy narcotics, opioids, cocaine, etc. came back negative but he may have eaten gummies with marijuana. It is Colorado where it is legal. Anyway, they are going to treat his condition with fluids and activated charcoal.

It makes me wonder about dogs who accidentally eat a human’s pills that are dropped on the floor.
(4)

Beatty,

A Chinese crested isn’t the most attractive dog but they are sweet. My friend had one. She was a good dog. They loved her. She died. They have a cat now. We miss our beloved fur babies when they die.
(1)

So, we went to look at Condos. My husband and I are not always on the same page! I don’t think that his idea of downsizing is the same as mine. I want a smaller place with good use of space. He looks at a smaller condo as our first small apartment. Grrrrr.

It may be a challenge to find something that we both like. HOA fees are more expensive in certain buildings. We will have to figure out what amenities we want. Some offer 24/7 security, concierge, beautiful pools and very nice gyms, etc.

Some have a very large room that have a huge dining area, lounge area with a television, a bar, complete kitchen and bath. This room can be reserved by the residents to host holiday gatherings or parties.

I like the units with a balcony. I don’t want stairs in the unit. We want a unit that is move in ready in a great location.
(2)

NHWM - how terrible for your grandpup. I hope he's doing ok.
(1)

Need: How horrific for your granddog. Hope he is better.

Good luck on your new residence shopping. I don't want to move. We purged out a lot more things out of our attic - DH was looking for ceiling tiles, which turned into a TON of sorting. Both vehicles are filled up with donations. Some was trashed.
(1)

Polar and Llama,

Thanks. He seems to be doing better now. My daughter is so good with him. She was the same way with her poodle. That’s her fur baby!

I wish I could meet this dog. I used to dog sit for her poodle when she lived in Louisiana.

Llama,

How do we end up keeping so much stuff? My husband went into the attic with my oldest daughter awhile back. Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about some of the things that we put up there.

I donate to a veterans organization and they pick it up off the porch. Easy!

I have donated to a couple of thrift shops too.

Yes, organizing, packing and moving is the worst part of moving/downsizing!
(2)

Need: Oh, good - about your grandpup. I never owned a dog, but I have been a cat owner. Our cats lived the lap of luxury with fresh salmon, chicken and bottled water so I do know how important fur kids are!
This was not the first, second or third time that we purged out our attic. A lot of the items are DD's that we are storing for her. I had thought about donating to Purple Heart as a neighbor does, but it's a LOT! Good luck packing.
(2)

Say prayers please. Just pulled up in parking garage for the hospital. My husband called me from work, doubled over in pain. He was brought to the ER. I’m a nervous wreck! Going to see what’s going on now.
(10)

Oh, Need! Prayers sent!
(2)

NHWM: prayers said!
(3)

NHWM 🙏🙏🙏
(2)

Need Help, I NEVER come to discussions anymore, and for some reason I just came to this today to read your message. I am so worried for your both and I hope this is a false alarm of some kind. My thoughts are with you. I will keep checking in on you.
(3)

Hugs, Need.
(3)

Hugs and prayers
(2)

Thanks, everyone!

Geeeeez, I suppose that I don’t do well in these situations. I tell myself not to freak out but I usually do. My best friend is the opposite. She remains calm in a crisis, then it hits her later. Me, I start freaking out immediately! Then I got upset because the traffic on Napoleon Ave. was awful. Parking was fine because the hospital has a garage.

Anyway, it was kidney stones. So, they gave him fluids in an IV and pain meds. Hopefully, will pass them soon.

My oldest daughter gets stones too. I have never had them but I hear from them that they are painful. I hope that I don’t get them.

I’m glad it wasn’t anything more serious. Again, thanks for your support. I appreciate it so much.
(6)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter