Follow
Read More
Oh poor chap, the pain is legendary! - but I'm glad it's something straightforward. Hope he's out of the woods very soon.
(4)

While Countrymouse is correct, the pain is legendary, I am relieved there is an answer. If that stone doesn't pass they can often break them up painlessly and they will pass, or can "basket them out." Glad to know he is in care and medicated.
(3)

Oucheee!!! Hugs to DH and hope they pass quickly!

((((((Hugs)))))
(2)

Alva,

Yes, my daughter has had to have the larger stones that wouldn’t pass broken up. Hopefully, it won’t be an issue for him to pass. When they measured the stone it wasn’t very large. My husband said to me, “How can a little stone cause so much pain. He’s not a wuss like me. He can tolerate most pain but he says that the pain from kidney stones is pretty bad.

What causes these stones? My daughter has had them several times. This is the second go round for my husband. He had them not long ago. Does diet have anything to do with it? It’s supposed to be a calcium buildup. I guess I am wondering if they can be prevented somehow or is it a random experience?
(1)

Need: Your poor DH! Praying that he gets relief from the kidney stones. As someone who has had 4 of them, I can tell you it's bad pain! Every time I got Dilaudid, but sometimes far too late like the 4th one. I don't consume enough water and I have been amending that.
(2)

NHWM thinking of you and hubs.
(3)

Ugh, stones. Had em. They suck. Wishing your hubs a quick and painless stone passing!
(3)

NHWM, glad it's nothing serious with your husband and he can pass the stones easily.

I don't handle pain well. Pap smears are always extremely painful for me for some reason. I even fainted during one once. Don't even talk to me about dentists. Arghh! I go to a dentist now that uses sedation otherwise I'll have a panic attack.
(2)

Been absent from the forum for a few days for reasons I will explain in a moment, but first, NHWM, hope your DH is ok after what must have been a real scare for you both. After my MIL’s funeral last week and the associated nastiness from my BIL and SIL, DH and I were hoping to move forward with a bit more positivity and kindness in our lives. But on Saturday morning I received the bombshell news that one of my apparently fit and healthy 50 something cousins has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which has already spread to her liver. All this after seeing a doctor just last week due to feeling generally a bit under the weather. This is a really bad situation. The problem with this type of cancer is that it presents with very few symptoms until it has really set in and spread further. There is very little the medics can do. I am devastated for my aunt who was widowed just last year, and for my cousin’s family, including her son and daughter who are barely into their 20s and who are going to lose their mother.
(8)

Chriscat so sorry for your latest bad news.

My Dad passed away from pancreatic cancer when I was four years old. My mom told me that the doctors said his body was riddled with cancer already by the time it was found. Mind you this was in the 1960's. It's sad that it is still so hard to diagnose until it is too late in most cases.
(2)

Thanks Gershun. I’m sorry you lost your dad so young. That is exactly the problem with pancreatic cancer. It is quite stealthy and doesn’t show up until it is too late. Sadly the advances in dealing with it have not been as great as for other cancers over the past decade or so. I feel we have had wave after wave of bereavements in less than 2 years: my dad, uncles, aunts, one cousin already this year, my MIL a few weeks ago and now another cousin in a very bad place, plus the backdrop of Covid, although none of them died from this. I know it’s the lifestage we’re at right now, mid 50s, when this stuff can all come at once. It’s hard to retain a sense of perspective as we feel surrounded by death and suffering. We’re trying to get out of the house more, get some fresh air and reach out to be kind to people, rather than wallow in misery.
(3)

NHWM the doc will tell you about "prevention", but to tell the truth, ha ha, I don't think too much works. There are tendencies for some to make stones as you will know with your daughter "making them" as well. Several kinds of stones. Calcium the most common and then there are the ones that are uric acid stones. They will give you medication to prevent that one, and they will recommend, as they did to my Dad with his calcium "the milk shakes gotta go" for the calcium ones. The truth is that someone who makes calcium stones will do himself in with popping Tums for antacid (and other stuff with calcium in it) but for the most part there are these tendencies for us. You can look up diets already because your doc told you it is calcium stones. Best thing is understand what kind of thing DH takes that is FULL of calcium (like Tums). Get info from dietician while he is in there, but for the most part, just as some women make calcium deposits in breast that make mammograms iffy to diagnose, recognize that he makes these. Yes they are almost microscopic often, and they hurt like having a baby with no letup between the pains. I am talking screaming writhing pain. Hope these pass quick!
(2)

Thanks, Alva. Yes, he is avoiding anything with a calcium supplement since having kidney stones.

Our bodies are fascinating. I admire nurses, doctors and others in the medical field. I can’t even imagine doing certain professions in medicine, in particular, a brain or heart surgeon. In my opinion, they earn every penny they make.

My cousin is a nurse anesthetist and she makes a good salary. She always says that she does most of the work with patients but the anesthesiologist makes a huge salary.
(1)

Thanks, Chris.

Hubby is still feeling badly. Hopefully, the stone will pass soon.

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. That’s awful. I understand how horribly you feel for your aunt too. Every parent wants to die before their children.
(2)

Gershun,

That is so very young to lose your father. I am so very sorry.
(1)

The nurse at my doctor’s office just called. She was reminding me to make my appointment for my visit. They are a terrific medical group! My doctor usually has the nurse call me about test results and the like but occasionally she calls me herself. They truly are a wonderful and caring medical team.

I appreciate the personal attention. The nurse understood that I lost track of scheduling my visit due to my recent loss of my mom and my husband’s health issues. It’s lovely to see people who have compassion. My doctor has gone above and beyond in caring for her patients.

I wish all doctors were as caring. She’s young, up on all new treatments, doesn’t overbook her appointments, caring but professional. My old doctor who was ready to retire became less interested in medicine. He scaled back his hours so much that it was hard to get an appointment. He hated having to keep records electronically and never failed to mention how he didn’t like ‘new’ changes. Honestly, if he hadn’t retired, I would have found a new doctor anyway.

When I selected my new doctor, I purposely chose a younger doctor who had wonderful training.
(2)

Thank-you Chriscat and NHWM. I think losing a Dad at such a young age shaped the person I became. My mom had breast cancer at the same time as my Dad was dying of pancreatic cancer. My mom told me a very sad story. My Dad was visiting my mom in the hospital while she recovered after her mastectomy and she said he was so ill himself at the time that she wanted to get out of her hospital bed and give it to him. Can you imagine? Very, very sad story! Later on in life my Uncle told me that at the time they thought we may have lost both of them. Being as young as I was at the time I have no memories of any of this. Fortunately my dearest mom lived to the ripe old age of 92.

They have found something on my lastest breast ultrasound and I am going for a cone biopsy this coming Sunday. I'd appreciate prayers that all will turn out to be okay.
(6)

Gershun, prayers as requested!
(2)

Hugs and prayers, gershun
(2)

Thank you Barb and Golden. I'm sure it will turn out fine but theres always that little niggling worry that squeezes in. 😒
(4)

Chris: I am so sorry. Two aunts on either side of our family both developed pancreatic cancer AT THE SAME TIME. The organ is so hidden that it's generally a cancer that is found too late as a rule.
(3)

Gershun: Big hugs sent to you tonight.
(2)

Gershun,
Always prayers for you!
And the specific request that your biopsy proves to be clear, and you are healthy.
(6)

Gershun,

I will certainly pray for you. I went through a biopsy several years back. It’s quite unnerving! Fortunately, the mass was benign. Wishing you peace as you go through this situation.
(3)

Need: Was your DH able to pass the kidney stone? Prayers for him.💜
(1)

Gershun, prayers being said!
(2)

Thx again guys, you are all such a nice group of people. I'm blessed to have you guys in my corner. 😘

I know I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but still it helps to know others are praying too.
(5)

Gershun: Sure thing - you're very welcome. Many prayers.💚
(1)

Llama,

Thanks for prayers 💗. Hasn’t passed it yet. Hopefully, soon. He has had to take the pain meds that were prescribed because he was in pain. He isn’t one to whine or complain, so I know that he was hurting.
(3)

Need: You're very welcome. I am sorry that your husband has not passed the stone yet. I hope that his meds mask the pain until he can pass the stone. Prayers.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter