Follow
Read More
Total Solar Eclipse Live Streaming July 2nd on
timeanddate.com.....happening now.
Something to do from home.
Not visible in USA?
The sun will be eclipsed by the New Moon.
(2)

This Eclipse is very rare.It only happens every 360 years.
Glad you said today's the day Send~Thanks!
(2)

Is it all right to slap a vicar?

Stupid fat beardy man has been sitting in his SUV for ten minutes outside my living room window running his stupid diesel engine. I've been popping my head up and shaking my fist at him every couple of minutes, he's just looked up from his cellphone, and he's wearing a clerical collar. Doesn't make me any less annoyed with him though.
(5)

No anti idling bylaws there CM? How about a sign in the window

Do Unto Others...
(3)

Idling cars are a pet peeve of mine, and there are many, soooo many.
I have resorted to going outside, driving my car out the driveway so they have to move.
If there is room for both cars, I park until another car comes by and makes the idler move.
Neighbors love to talk to passers by, they stop and leave their cars idling. I make sure if I do stop, I turn off my engine.

But if there are idling laws, I will find them!
(1)

Total solar eclipses are rare events. Although they occur somewhere on Earth every 18 months on average, it is estimated that they recur at any given place only once every 360 to 410 years, on average.
Solar eclipse - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse
(1)

If you like Dianne Keaton, she's in a new flick (cable download) set in London - Hampstead

I need a midnight snack - ice cream, chocolate, or ......
salami and cheese !
(3)

Salami and cheese.
(1)

Happy Independence Day!!!
Happy that the USA was born.
Happy to live in this great country.
(1)

Happy 4th of July!!!!?
Me too Polarbear, me too.
So blessed to live in this country.
Happy Day Everyone.
(2)

Happy 4th of July America!

We are having an EQ in So. Calif. at 1733 UTC (10:33 a.m.) and if accurate, Vancouver B.C. area also.....

It is the U.S.A. who fought in a war to FREE THE SLAVES.

Proud to be an American.
(2)

Gershun,
Salami and Provolone Cheese sandwich was our dinner last night.

Did you feel any earthquakes?

PTSD re: earthquakes. I do well with more facts. Otherwise, I am going to start moving the furniture around......

I am ok, I think. No damage, bird cage on floor, heart is shaking. Waaaah!
6.4 somewhere between L.A. and Las Vegas, @ Ridgecrest, CA. in San Bernardino County.
(2)

Sendhelp, I just checked the news and that was some earthquake the California region had witnessed. Are you doing ok?

I remember the earthquake here in Wash DC a few years ago. First I thought it was the cat under my office chair rubbing the chair because it was shaking a bit. Then when I heard items on my shelves rattling, my eyes got big. I ran out of the house and so did the neighbors on my cul-du-sac. I was shaking like a leaf, so I know what you were feeling.

Here years ago before the earth quake, I told my insurance carrier I wanted earthquake insurance and he looked at me like my hair was on fire. He said this area never gets earthquakes. Ah ha, proved him wrong.
(2)

Thanks FF! Okay so far, I think. In an office chair I was! Maybe they are more sensitive. The floor felt like is was sinking hehind me, then the room was swaying, when I ran to get my Tweety, the parakeet, putting his cage on the floor, covering him. Did you know that birds take flight just before an earthquake?

What bothers me the most is other's take on it. "No, it is not an earthquake, I am just walking behind you."

Celebrate!
God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home
God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
(2)

FF, you raise an interesting technical point there.

Just to say: every insurance policy is a bet. You are betting that something bad (or expensive, anyway) will happen. Your insurer is betting that it won't. You never exactly *want* to prove your insurer wrong!
(3)

Good point CM!
Then, anyone experiencing a natural disaster has found their insurance company overwhelmed and DENYING insurance claims to save themselves.
People in the earthquakes (declared a disaster area), had to actually sue many an insurance company for reimbursement.

Changing the subject, because no one needs to hear a rant coming on, as I try not to relive the many earthquakes I survived. Survived....is the key word.
(2)

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston
And New York to L.A.
Where's pride in every American heart
And it's time we stand and say
That I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
(4)

Free to be you and me.  Celebrating the Declaration of Independence. I chose to avoid the parade today, as it is very hot.  Spent some time sitting on the lawn getting wet with the dog under the sprinkler!  I loved parades till I became over 60. 

Our town does fireworks on Sat. from the hill across the street, so I'll be sitting with chair on the lawn again.  And with our dog.  As a new pup, hubby named him Thor.  Very fitting.  In electric storms he runs around the outside of the house looking for who made it shake, although he's calming down some now he's almost 5.  Fireworks he ignores.  I have never seen a dog like him.  He gives us love and joy.
(4)

Sendhelp, oh my gosh, I heard on the news that there were 1,400 aftershocks. How are you doing?
(1)

Well, FF,
I do not recall my bed ever swaying so much, so I look around to discover evidences of a treblor, can never be sure.

The evidence this morning at 4:07 a.m. was when Tweety bird flapped around in his cage, alerting me and waking me up. I am staying close to him today.

Was especially irritable at what was happening outside my house today......
neighbors parking out front leaving their cars running; some drunk driver backing up knocking cement blocks over, continuing on their way not even noticing.
Somebody do something, I felt. I should report this, I strongly felt.
But was able to let it go. And after not eating before 3 p.m., I ate, and have rested here with Tweety since then.

Apprehensive feels accurate.

Thank you for reaching out and asking. I can think of many So. Cal. posters who may have experienced same. I made the usual "are you ok" calls to family and friends, all okay. Time will tell.
(2)

Earthquakes are just to make sure we are paying attention. :)

Moved out of Cali years ago and entered the world of tornados. But now we also have earthquakes pretty regularly. So earthquakes and tornados. I take earthquake over tornado any day.

Scripture speaks of earthquakes in divers places. So it will become a normal occurrence IMO. Not just in Cali but all over in places that it is uncommon.

Glad you are ok Send.
(3)

Glad to hear you are okay Send. That had to be scaring!
(3)

10 more quakes in the last hour in Ca

in the last 3 hours 2 in Idaho

3 in Alaska in the last two hours.
(3)

Breaking: Southern California has experienced another large earthquake. Preliminary @USGSBigQuakes reports put it at a 7.1 magnitude quake.
@ 8:17 p.m., lasted soooo long!

Did I already say that?

I recall the fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, and the brave caregivers were so busy not a peep of complaint.
I feel like such a baby, an old baby. But protection for my bird is a priority.
Hubs texted from work...."All souls accounted for, ok here". "No one was raptured".
He is on his way home.

Nothing fell, just swaying!
(4)

Sheesh, first an earthquake, followed by a loud firework noise, now there are helicopters circling.
(3)

Loud firework noise? Maybe the helicopters are searching for injured people.
(0)

Illegal fireworks are still going off

fire trucks and other emergency services are out checking for damage

thank goodness this 7.1 quake is on the other side of the San Gabriel Mountains or there would be major injuries

what we don’t need is this fault disturbing the San Andreas- when that goes
well.......
(4)

Glad you are ok MsMadge. Because it was wavy, not sharp and shaky, I don't think we need to check our gas lines, do we? What do you think?
(3)

Don't think so, Send, unless of course you smell gas or hear hissing

we turned off the gas during the Whittier quake in 87 but then the fault ran through our area - it was a long couple of weeks to get it back on
(2)

Just heard about the earthquakes this morning.

Glad to hear Send, Ms Madge and others are all okay.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter