Follow
Read More
Pam: Yeah, what changes as one ages in regard to insomnia? Absolutely no way that you could operate a motor vehicle and put in a twelve hour shift. Get some rest tonight.
(3)

Becky: Feel better and sleep well.
(2)

Thanks for the support/prayers. Dd is being discharged today and they have set up post chemo monitoring for her so her potassium, dehydration and BP don't get so far out of control. The doctor said he had never seen such a low BP. Dd tends to have orthostatic hypotension anyway. This was over the top.

She is going to Edmonton tomorrow for a visit with her oncologist and some tests. Trusting all will be good there. Feeling a little stress over it all but relief too.
(9)

Golden: Glad to hear that your DD was discharged and hopefully her physicians will get the issues under control. Hugs.💛
(3)

Why does this process seem unfair? Role reversals are a test of so many things. We love and we also need our own lives and space. These seem too polar sometimes to be able to balance, I hope it gets easier to balance these things.
(3)

God, amurray, I agree with you. Very hard to balance. Someone on the forum wrote: “No one else will save you! You must do it yourself!”

These are my new guiding words.
(3)

That's scary about DD, Golden. I'm glad they'll monitor her. This is the second time she's been very ill after treatment. 🙏

Hope everyone's having a decent week. I've had an interesting week with two major school assignments due the same day. My stress levels did the usual redlining. I'd like to say I'm used to it but it's always difficult with this much workload.

Also, a neighbor who I don't know backed into my car's bumper, while it was parallel parked on my street, and put a hole right through it from his trailer hitch. It's a long story that didn't start well, as he didn't leave a note and I only found him through some detective work. I had absolutely no way to hold him accountable through any kind of incident report after the fact, etc. I tried. Even though I was irate at first, I got over it and accepted that there was only one way to get any kind of payment for damages -- "You catch more flies with honey..." So I left a friendly note on his van. The nice note worked and he's agreed to be responsible for the damage. I couldn't have hoped for a better resolution to a bad situation. 😌
(8)

Ali: Sorry about your car. That's awful.
(1)

Wow! Ali, I was never one to be able to use the honey approach. Next time I think, yes even think, of that approach, I will get in contact. I am impressed and very happy Mr. Van will take care of it! Hope it will actually happen.
(4)

It must have been Manuka Honey.
(4)

Manuka honey🤔.

Oh, now I get it! 😂🤣
(4)

Glad, he and I have been texting/calling back and forth the past week. At this point, even if he flaked, I have enough to take him to court. But he reassures me practically daily that he will take care of it. I'm going out of my way to try to get a cheaper bumper than my usual shop, since he doesn't want to do an insurance claim. That estimate was over 1k.

When he first contacted me, he apologized, said he didn't remember doing the damage (not sure I believe that but it doesn't matter), said he was also sure it was him based on my scene investigation work, ha ha. I had measured his hitch height, my impact height, etc. And presented that to him in the note. I explained why I knew it was him, and kept the tone very friendly. Anywho... it worked. Yay.
(4)

Well done ali. Honey over vinegar is a good way to go. Hope it gets repaired and resolved soon.

Dd and I were not scared about the BP drop and low K but concerned that it get handled properly. It doesn't take rocket science for them to keep an eye on it and take the necessary measures. She saw the oncologist yesterday and he is very pleased with her progress but concerned about the effects of the chemo on her so talked about reducing her chemo sessions by one. That doesn't impress me as I know the after effects are manageable and the chemo is important in eradicating the cancer. But I will be very careful what I say to dd. 🤐

Sad today as F, the man whose farm R manages, died from covid yesterday. he had had surgery (successfully) for a spinal issue that was affecting his mobility and shortly after got covid while in hospital, but his doctor was not concerned as it was a light case. He was recovering nicely from the surgery, doing rehab and they were talking about him going back to the farm 2 days ago. Then he had some dehydration so they kept him in for that, and the next day he suffered major organ failure and passed last night. He was double vaccinated and had a booster. It's rather shocking to see how quickly he went down. He did have diabetes and high BP, both treated, but no other health issues. He was 84. This means a huge change for R as the farming operation, which was what he managed, will be wound down. F's son has inherited it all and he is a lawyer with no interest in the farm as such. I worry about all the farm cats and what will happen to them. 🐱🐱🐱. I suppose they will be left to go completely feral. Some of them essentially are anyway

A friend on fb who is careful and has been vaccinated, got covid this week and has been quite sick, but is getting better. The risks are not over yet by any means.

Good Good Friday ✝ and Happy Easter Weekend.🐇🐣🐰
(3)

Golden, good news about daughter, I think. Reducing chemo could change based on how she does.

Hoping R finds a spot to.settle in. I don't imagine the property would sell quickly. It takes a special purchaser.
(2)

Yes it is great news glad. I am happy for her. The chemo is doing its job. She is more than ready to move on the next stage which is surgery.

R will be fine. At his age it is time for him to slow down anyway. It will take some time to sort out the animals - a couple of thoroughbred horses, one mare pregnant, sheep, goats, chickens...I was looking forward to helping with the new babies that needed bottles, but that's not going to happen now. The land is very well situated so will sell easily if that's what the son wants to do. It all rests with him.

I am still shocked at how quickly covid brought F down - from plans to discharge to major organ failure in 2 days. For F's return home, R had built ramps for front and back doors and a new shower which was wheel chair accessible. All for nothing now. 😞

Life is unpredictable.

ali - you are a force as regards your education! and other things!!! Keep looking after you at the same time!

I'm planning a very quiet day today!
(2)

Need to get this off my chest. I find I am grieving, not just for F but for the end of another era.

Still thinking about F who died recently. It's the end of another era. He was a very successful restaurateur for over 40 years and served excellent food in our provincial capital. I particularly remember the cream of mushroom soup and the ribs - to die for. He served Wayne Gretzky, Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) and many other we knowns including Mohammed Ali. About 5 years ago he decided to sell up and retire and make another of his dreams come true - a quiet life on a farm with a few chickens for fresh eggs, sheep and goats to sell for meat and his horses to race. He wanted to create a little bit of Greece in the west.

He made it happen and R had the privilege to be part of it for most of that time. I enjoyed visiting F (very hospitable) and the farm and also the stories that R passed on, and acquiring a couple of the kitties.

I would say he had a life well lived. He came to Canada with virtually nothing and due to lots of hard work and good decisions ended up very prosperous indeed. As he declined, he wanted to stay with his dream on the farm, and R was a significant part of making that possible becoming driver, farmer, butcher, carpenter, veterinarian, and even caregiver at times.

I am glad he passed before he had to go into a facility. We all should be so fortunate to be able to live as we want to until we die. He reminds me of my grandfather, who kept on going till one day, at 81, he went to bed and didn't wake up. RIP you grand old men.
(10)

Thinking of you, Golden. I am sorry for your loss.
(3)

Golden: So sorry for your loss of F. Hugs.💛
(2)

This may be the wrong thread but, I read an article today that said a zinc deficiency can cause insomnia and not being able to sleep for very long.

I know that we sleep better taking magnesium and zinc nightly.

So for anyone struggling with sleep issues it is well worth adding a zinc supplement to see if it helps. My research has shown that you should never take more than 50mg daily and 30mg is ideal for us.

Here's to a good nights sleep!

Golden, I am sorry for your loss. What a well lived life indeed.
(3)

ITRR: Thank you for that tip on zinc. My eye vitamin has that in it. I believe that you posted another sleep tip, right?
(0)

I've been out a couple of times in my wheelchair. I'm getting a little better at maneuvering around. We had family Easter dinner my stepson's restaurant. It was closed to the public, so we had plenty of room. Great food. Went shopping today. It was hard in my favorite fabric store. I finally ended up sitting in one spot and letting my girlfriend show me pieces she thought I would like. But it was good to get out. But I'm totally worn out.
(5)

Rainy here tonight; I understand that this is the soft end of a Nor'Easter that is dumping snow in neighboring areas.

We have a follow-up with my DH's neuro to go over results of blood work, initial imaging and neuropsych testing.

I am going to pick up my 5 yo granddaughter tomorrow and try to spend a nice day with her; I suspect Wednesday is going to bring some unwelcome news, or maybe just watchful waiting, which I find pretty unbearable.
(10)

Becky: Get some rest. Glad that you got out.
(0)

Barb: Hope and pray that the Wednesday news is less worrisome than you expect. Hugs.
Tons of rain here in the mid Atlantic today; snow expected in western MD.
(3)

Barb ((((((((hugs))))))) and prayers
(4)

Home for the weekend. Remote work tomorrow and Friday. It is working well, so far. Enjoying the job.

But, hotels are not all they are racked up to be. Though it has worked out much better than the terrible AirBnB experience.

I requested a plains view, in order to see over the roof top mechanical equipment that meant the 4th floor. And wouldn't you know it?! The elevator broke down! So climbed those four flights for two nights! That was quite the climb!
(4)

My hair is on my mind. I wear it in a high ponytail every single day, tucked under to keep it tidy at work. It's getting too thin to keep it long but since it's been long since high school and I've worn it in daily ponytails for decades now, I don't have a clue how to change it up. I have a hair appointment tomorrow: highlights and cut. My first hair appt since before covid! I'm excited and will probably have the stylist trim more length off but generally keep the same style for now. It's just thinning out so, so much the past 1-2 years. What little length I have now, just below the shoulder, has an expiration date in the next year I think. Without intervention, I'll have to cut it short.

Based on a friend's referral, I made an appointment today to see a hair dermatologist in July, their first available appt. Friend told me her hair derm examined a piece of her scalp, determined several causes of her hair loss, and gave her medicated shampoo and serum. Now two years later, her new hair regrowth is much better. I figure I don't have anything to lose, except more hair, so I'd like to have a piece of my scalp examined, too. :-) It will be interesting to see what they determine.

Part of me wants to spend a lot of money on some beautiful custom clip-in extensions and go back to having thicker, longer hair that I can still wear in a ponytail every single day. lol

Petty stuff, really. Just... I have no idea how to wear my hair any other way than long/pony. Decisions will have to be made about that soon.
(3)

Ali: Have you tried Biotin? I bought some a while back, but haven't gotten into a routine of taking it daily yet.
(2)

I've been taking a high dose of biotin every day for a couple of years now. It didn't help, unfortunately. And more recently, I added a daily 3g of collagen. I think the collagen is helping some, but hard to say as it's only been a few months. I think my hair issues are beyond supplements at this point. I'll keep taking them but I don't expect anything to change for the better. My hair was never thick, but now it's very thin strands and not enough of them. Hoping the hair derm will have some good input for me, either way.
(4)

About the comments on hair thinning (loss?), over the past couple years I noticed my wife losing a lot of hair. I blame it on the various meds she’s on. No one could come up with a diagnosis. Although she and I felt I was making decent meals for us at home, I noticed an improvement in her hair after moving here to the ALF. Here we get lots of protein and vegetables on a regular basis. As we say “Food! Nourishing food!”

Does a proper diet have something to do with her hair problem improving? I’d like to think so.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter