Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
TNtechie, such great news!

Well done!
(2)

glad- 14% must feel high. I gather you will be going.

techie -that's wonderful. He is thriving in all ways. It's great that he loves gardening.

I am making progress with my (and mother's) filed stuff that I have to keep for a while yet. I've decided to toss the old metal filing cabinets that must be 40 years old and will replace them with something better after I have moved. So tax info etc. is going into rubbermaid type tubs for moving.

I know some of you have dealt with similar jobs. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to label the tubs so the labels are clear and secure during moving? Are masking tape and black marker pens good enough?
(2)

I've been wondering about your DD Golden, how are things?
(3)

cw - thanks for asking. She had surgery - lumpectomy and 3 nodes removed. She is pleased that apart from the incisions which are healing nicely her appearance really hasn't altered. She expects to hear about the pathology this week and there is, obviously some anxiety over that. Her energy levels are at a new low - I guess the combo of chemo and surgery though she had deep sedation rather than anesthetic. She can get around the house but if she stands for too long ( >5 minutes) she gets wobbly. Fatigue is usual so it's a matter of living through it. She told me of an 86 year old she met in Compassion House (where cancer patients can stay during treatment) who smokes and is having chemo for rectal cancer and hasn't suffered any side effects!!! Tough old bird.

It's hard seeing her so pale and wan and going through all of this.
(5)

Aw, it's another Wednesday when we need to be vigilant "Is this post true?"
In two separate posts.....same caregiver....
Should a caregiver uncomfortable giving a shower and not strong enough to get a client to the doctor's appointment even be a caregiver?
(0)

Glad to hear she is hanging in there Golden!
(2)

Maybe sometimes people get into caregiving expecting to provide a little bit of light housekeeping, meal prep, perhaps some shopping and some companionship, and while there is a need for those services they aren't really in the same category as the caregiving skills a trained caregiver provides - but they're both called caregivers. I think problems may arise because the person needing help is often not upfront about how much care is really needed (may be in denial), and the person who is hired to provide the care may be relying on the income so they just try to fake it and muddle through as best they can.
(1)

Characteristics of a troll posting on AC:
1) Posts two or more questions right away.
2) Usually on a Weds. night.
3) Early on criticizes the caregiver(s) who have answered.
4) Within the hour after posting, "solves" the problem by quitting their job.
(5)

Golden, masking tape/marker is probably fine. You could make a label from a piece of regular printing paper (I fold it over a few times to get a size I want, and then it's also thicker) and secure it onto the tub with shipping tape. I tape over the top with a few short strips of tape, and then there are no edges to catch. I use this method across many things I want to label... mostly return packages. I know the label is going to stay put. It's good to read an update on DD.

TN, I was thinking about your charge and wondering how he is. Thanks for the news! He's on his way. 😊
(2)

I've been thinking about making hay, and how much farming has changed in my lifetime.

My earliest memories are of a contraption that gathered the bales together and then with the pull of a rope dumped them in small groups to be stooked by a person walking though the field. Later innovation brought a machine that had a man (usually my father) stacking the bales into triangular stooks as they were spat out of the baler - that had to be backbreaking work! I was sometimes recruited to drive the wagon slowly through the field while the hired men pitched bales of hay and stacked them on a wagon, I got a shout if I didn't stop smoothly! Getting the hay into the mow was another job we kids could help with, off loading the bales from the wagon onto an elevator (I can still hear the screeching sound) and up into the mow where an experienced man stacked them - what fun to try to bury the person working up there!
(3)

Boy the local station must have had employees walk out today. The teaser for the 5:00 news is the Avs have just returned, and the parade is tomorrow. That was a few weeks ago now.

The most confusing part? A winter storm advisory too! Maybe they will have it straightened out by 5.
(1)

Getting to the "staging" stage of prepping my house for sale. It's taken a long time and will take a bit longer. Several rooms are close to done. Most of the others I know what I need to do or at least have a concept of what I want, but the long rumpus room which hasn't had much furniture in it for a while is stumping me. There's large solid wood bookcase and lower matching set of shelves and not much else except cat bed and toys and some tools. The latter will go - cat stuff to dd's and tools will go with R once he is done here, and I will be left with a large almost empty room.

Thinking of moving a few things from the living room, which has lots of furniture and creating a couple of areas downstairs. There will be lots of space between them but that's OK. Any ideas?
(1)

I'm not sure I would bother trying to furnish it, IMO people tend to see more possibilities in a big space that isn't already defined. I'd focus on demonstrating that the room is finished and comfortable (not cold, damp and dark). Get someone with a keen nose to walk through because people who live with cats (or damp) tend to become accustomed to those smells.
(2)

Thx cw. I have read that furnished homes sell better than unfurnished so that's the direction I have am going. Apparently furnished rooms look bigger. Go figure. I'll consult with my real estate agent and see what she thinks. Good lighting is important, I know. I will bring one floor lamp down -otherwise there is lots of ceiling lighting. It's not cold there but it is cool and AB tends to be dry. Think I am OK on the cat smell front. All cat stuff will be removed and a professional cleaning done once the staging is complete.
(1)

Golden, setting up different areas in a long, large room shows well. Creating spaces that speaks to day to day living works.

Maybe an office area/library, desk and book cases, relaxing space, couple chairs and a small table, a game area, card size table and chairs, maybe a bookcase with games. Not much but, shows how large the space is and gives people visionary clues to usage.

Having large spaces between is good, clutter is a bad dog for showing.

Best of luck getting this done and sold.
(1)

ITRR- that's my idea. I have an "office" in one of the upstairs bedrooms, and a craft room in another. I may be better to set one of those as another bedroom if I can figure out a cheap way, (inflatable mattress) and put a craft area in the basement and a games area. I have a nice little reading spot in the small bedroom in the basement -very cosy!
(2)

I guess the house buying frenzy has cooled since the rate hikes, places here rarely stayed on the market for longer than a couple of weeks unless there were big issues.
(1)

According to my realtor sales are a bit slow. The stats say 65 days is average time on market this summer. It's never been as fast here as where you are, cw. Can't imagine!!!
(2)

I can't imagine it either Golden and I'm living in the midst of it - I think a lot of it has been driven by FOMO. House prices have gone crazy high too compared to when I bought my house, I've had to up my insurance twice.
(2)

Golden, if you have a bedskirt and a nice bedspread, you can use boxes to create a "bed". That's what I would do. It's a great way to hide stuff that moves last too.

When we have been house hunting we have noticed that the bedroom with the best view is often staged as a reading room. Big overstuffed chair, ottoman, table and house plant.

Our current house had one of the bedrooms as a TV room, one as a sewing room and the 2 on suites as bedrooms.
(2)

My Dad's birthday, if he had lived.
(2)

Happy B'day to your great father Send!
(2)

Thank you Gershun!
He would have been 116, so guess he is right where he should be about now.
(4)

So happy and relieved to report that the pathology tests from my dd's surgery are all clear. Another milestone reached! Next week she meets with the radiation dr to set that up and she will continue with a couple of chemotherapies. She feels good to be this far along with the therapy and is looking forward to getting back to weight lifting and building her strength at some point in the future. She's 57. Ladies and gents - it's never too late to lift weights!
(8)

golden: That's great news for your DD!💕
(2)

Send: Happy Heavenly Birthday to your dad.💕
(2)

Happy Birthday to Send's dear Father~
(3)

Golden, Praise The Lord!

May HE continue to touch her body and restore her to where she desires to be.

I saw a utube video about an 89 year old weight lifter that started when she was 80. Sharp as a tack and just a fiesty, such an inspiration.
(4)

Thanking the Lord for answered prayers Golden!
Thank you for sharing your daughter's success with us.
(4)

Thank you Llama and Luckylu.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter