Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Hey ADMIN, please delete Elizabeth 0147s scam/spam posts, all 30 of them in different threads that have been nudged up.
(2)

TNTechie, I've had PT for 1-2 hours daily for months. I have nerve damage in my lower back along with leg, foot and ankle breaks. My PT and Ortho all agree that walking will not be possible. Multiple surgeries to repair damage. I have a rod in my leg, 3 metal plates and around 20 screws.
(4)

Feedback on a decision please: the state of TN provides a nice monthly stipend for caring for two foster children, at least it seems so to me. My house is paid for and I generally live a frugal lifestyle. So far about 25% is used for increased expenses (primarily the boys' clothes, electric, water, gas for the car, and phones for the boys) and 25% on food and allowances. I am using the other 50% on what I call enrichment oportunities: trips to the trampoline park, swimming pool, roller skating, railroad museum, and a fall break vacation to Pidgeon Forge. There are all kinds of programs offered to foster kids, like a free backpack with school supplies. I am declining these programs because I have the money from the state to take the kids shopping for a backpack and all the supplies listed on the school's list (plus a few more). I think its a better experience for the boys and provides them with a better opportunityto step into my world of living on a budget. But the social worker is strongly encouraging me to take the freebies, including holiday baskets and gatherings where free stuff is given to the kids. Am I wrong to decline these opportunities?
(2)

TNtechie,
You are not wrong to decline what you don't need, what you can comfortably provide yourself.

Avoiding what the government or charities provide is a good thing, the government giving with one hand and taking away with the other hand,
and charities sharing photos of your children at events, used to seek more donations.

Being frugal, teaching a budget, and living independently is the best experience and opportunity for the boys to learn their own way, imo. It is a good life lesson, however old-fashioned. (Old-fashioned being also a good thing). imo.

Foster children already have a 'poor' stigma attached to their position in life, attending events to receive handouts can foster a needy mindset.

I want to state a disclaimer here that there should be no shame in being poor, and families in need should definitely receive these things when needed. Satisfied is the child who recalls being poor and growing up to succeed as an adult, rising above their circumstances.

To cover it all....there is a budget concern that if you do receive these things for free now, when offered, the funds not spent for those needs can allow for saving for future needs at a time when money is not as plentiful.

As you can see, you are not wrong. imo.

Good for you!
(3)

TN - I am with you 100%. Free stuff is nice now and then, like gifts. But if they are expected on a regular basis, the receivers become entitled. The mindset and personality will change, especially when they are so young. That's not what you want your foster sons to learn. You want them to grow up strong and capable to work and provide for themselves. Leave the freebies for those who truly need them.

Like any social program, the bigger it becomes, the more $$ it gets from the government, the more secured the jobs are for those running the program.
(2)

What about taking the money and putting it aside for their college or tech school or whatever they may do in once they graduate high school? Heck even as an incentive to match them saving for a car.
(3)

Send there is nothing wrong with giving a child a leg up. Teaching and not just giving is the best way to do it.
(2)

@sp19690
You did not read my comment.

Go away.
(2)

I'm saving $250 a month to put toward a used truck in 2 years (50% of price, I will match). College or tech school will be on the TN promise scholarship funded by lottery sales (any kid graduating TN high school with a B average gets tuition and books to a state school).

I am sharing how I budget the money with the oldest, much like I constructed a budget with my nephew when he was attending college and I paid his expenses.

I am trying to teach as many life skills as I can: changing the oil in the car, checking fluid levels, rotating tires, cooking and canning, making a grocery list, gardening, bargain shopping, laundry, repairs, etc. All the things my parents taught me that I really didn't appreciate until after I had a household of my own.
(10)

TN: Good for you! I agree with you to pass on what you can already accomplish by your own means.
(4)

TNtechie, OMlands, Pidgeon Forge is the most awesome surprise I have ever had. I so wasn't prepared for what it is. Loved Gatlinburg and ALL of the Ripley's things, especially the aquarium and Dollywood was where I learned what sweet tea was. What a great adventure for your family.

I am with you on teaching your guys how to live on a budget and all the other DIY projects that life is about. What a strong foundation you are blessing these youngsters with.

May The Lord continue to guide you in these matters.

Oh, I absolutely loved that EVERY place you go in Pidgeon Forge plays Gospel music and when you ask someone how their day is, they tell you.
(4)

Pidgeon Forge is only a little over an hour away so my family takes at least a day trip nearly every year. The schools even take a field trip to Dollywood. The skylift up to Ober Gatlinburg is a beautiful trip if you don't mind heights. For an extended trip, we often stay at Claybough's campground for RVs and tents. Trips to Pidgeon Forge's municipal pool (and its diving boards), Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, and many other smaller local venues fill the days while cooking breakfast (and usually lunch and often fire up the grill for supper) while playing in the campground's lazy river, pool, and playground make an affordable trip. It's a piece of home to me, although completely commercial. We've stayed away the last couple of years because of covid and switched to the lake setup because we can get there around everyone's schedule, but we'll eventually make it back.
(4)

TN, so you live in a beautiful area. Being from the desert southwest I was intrigued by all the flowing water and beautiful vegetation. I thought that this must be a slice of Heaven as I stood by the beautiful rivers in the layers of green. Made me long for a fishing pole.
(3)

goodnight from here :).

i just want to say, thanks!!! soooo many of you have helped me in so many ways, without realizing. words here and there (sometimes not even directed at me) - that helped me so much.

through dark times: tough days.

you lifted me up, without knowing it. thanks.
(4)

Dialysis is so nice in a 5-star hotel medical clinic.
(5)

Just feeling 😝😝😨😨😫😫
(6)

👑 🇨🇦 / 🇬🇧 🙏
(9)

🇺🇸 🙏
to
👑 🇨🇦 / 🇬🇧 🙏
(6)

Sadly the Queen has passed on. Oh how I will miss her, she was such a delight.
(11)

I'm in shock - She's always been there, it's like I've lost a huge chunk of my history😢
(8)

RIP Queen Elizabeth II April 21, 1926 - Sept 8, 2022. Very special lady.
I was in the Canadian section of the stands outside Buckingham Palace when she was crowned on June 2, 1953, Memorable!
(13)

Great photo show of Queen E's life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/interactive/2022/photos-queen-elizabeths-life/
(5)

I'm sadder than I thought I'd be hearing of the Queen's death. She was someone I always took for granted would be here.

I kind of thought she would die shortly after her husband though. I always felt they had a great love. Now they are together again. :)
(8)

I still find it weird that all the Royal family marriages are inbred. I think Megan Markle might be the only exception but I haven't looked into it.

Just looked it up and yes they are distant cousins. No one marries into the Royal family without being related. I think someone needs to tell the Hallmark channel about that.
(2)

sp19690, please note distant cousins are those from fourth cousins and beyond. They share common ancestors beyond your great-great-great-grandparents generation. You have 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 great-great grandparents and 32 great-great-great-grandparents. And beyond are 64 great-great-great-grandparents.
(3)

My parents were "cousins" and shared the same last name, their great grandparents were brothers. But even though they grew up in the same small rural community they went to different schools and their families didn't travel in the same circles so they didn't really know each other until my mom returned to the area in her 30's.
(6)

I guess that made family reunions easier since they were literally all the same family. Sorry I just don't get intentionally marry your cousin.

The reason the Royal family interbreeds is because they are required to keep their Royal blood line pure. That is the reason they marry cousins. If you research history they used to marry really close generations of cousins - I forget what you call that but it led to many birth defects and mental defects so they try to go as deep into x generation x cousin x removed to avoid that.
(0)

The Queen just died. Let's try to keep it respectful.
(6)

She wasn't my queen. And she's dead so I don't think she cares either way. Plus I doubt she was ever on the aging care forum.
(0)

Queen Elizabeth was an icon. May she rest in peace.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter