Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Llama - Oh no. So sorry to hear.
(3)

hugs to you llama!!
(1)

We got off lightly weather wise, just heavy rain with a minor coating of ice to trouble the morning commute. I was relieved there were no puddles on my kitchen floor below the skylight!
(6)

The interstate has been closed again. Ground blizzards cause icing roads and poor visibility. This will never end. More snow coming next week.
(2)

Oh llama Isn't that frustrating!!!

cw - glad it's not worse and that that your sky light hasn't leaked

glad - Oh it will end. Maybe not when you want it to but it will end. Stay safe and warm. Hope you are stocked up with groceries.

Overcast here which I don't care for. But my groceries are coming soon. So thankful for delivery!
(3)

PB, golden and BOJ: Thank you. Took a look at car today and it's not very bad.
(7)

Has anyone taken the 23andMe DNA test with the health report results according to what they discover from your DNA?

The ancestry findings are very interesting. The health reports are fascinating. I wasn’t aware that I would continue to receive health reports from them.

They test for all kinds of things. They tell the likelihood of developing health issues and so on. I was surprised by the details.

One report on physical features said that I have blue eyes, which I do. Fair skin. I do have fair skin. Said I have sticky earwax, I do. No dandruff, I don’t. Said I don’t have a unibrow, I don’t, No stretch marks, I don’t, No cleft chin. I don’t, and so on. So interesting that they know these things from our genes.

Another test result spoke about specific taste buds. The report stated that I don’t like cilantro.

I had no idea that a DNA test could address the topic of taste buds. I absolutely hate cilantro. They say that people who have a specific gene causes it taste like soap. So interesting.

I do not have the variants they tested for late Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease.

Testing showed that I do have the likelihood of developing heart disease. Heart disease is in my family. My dad had heart issues and two of my brothers as well.

I was interested in both ancestry and health reports so I paid more for the test than I would have paid for just the ancestry report.

They test for all kinds of things and send the results to the app. It’s fascinating to read.
(5)

Started out to do errands today and I first tell DH to check a switch on my car 'low tire pressure.' No go - flat tire. First time driving DH's F150 truck after dusk, but I did okay while he filled tire with air at home.
(1)

Need: I believe that DD did an ancestry site - not sure if it was "23 and Me." Your results were interesting. Do you have a cardiologist?
(0)

Does anyone use the KardiaMobile device? I bought it and used it 3 times and got the EKG reading of 'normal sinus rhythm.' I have to purchase the service to get additional readings.
(1)

I don’t have that device, Llama. Sorry that I can’t be of help.
(1)

Llama,

Yes, I do. My primary doctor sent to a cardiologist awhile ago.

I plan to be on guard.
(1)

Need: Okay. Good.
(0)

Need: No help required - was just curious if anyone used the device.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, those DNA tests are fascinating, especially on how close they are correct. I had a DNA test done for medicines. Sure enough it says that meds for GERD [brand names were given] will not work for me. That is so right, and I was wondering why those meds were always failures. Just part of my DNA.
(3)

FF,

Right! I have been amazed by what has been determined by our DNA.

I believe in science. I love research and feel that the development of medical advances have been incredible.

We still have a long way to go in many areas but I am excited knowing that we are constantly discovering new findings.
(2)

Figured out the KardiaMobile - no additional service required to get EKG reading.
(4)

I am wondering why doctors don't tell people that low potassium can cause high blood pressure and heart issues.

Why can't they treat proactively instead of reactively. Ugh!
(3)

I think that many doctors who graduated before the internet became an acceptable source of information are stuck with the idea we are all idiots and shouldn't be given too much information because we wouldn't understand it anyway. Younger docs understand that we will be googling our diagnosis, my doc even circled what I should look for on the written report.
(2)

"Why can't they treat proactively instead of reactively."

That's the $64K question and I suppose the answer lies in the history and culture of medicine. You didn't call a doctor until you were sick. Doctors didn't focus on prevention but on intervention when ill. That's been the model for centuries.

I think it is past high time that the paradigm shifted. There is enough scientific evidence that many diseases are preventable. But maybe it won't and we have to look to other types of practitioners for health advice as opposed to disease treatment.

Regarding Diabetes Type 2, heart disease and some cancers for example-

"If type 2 diabetes were an infectious disease, passed from one person to another, public health officials would say we’re in the midst of an epidemic."

"The good news is that prediabetes and type 2 diabetes are largely preventable. About 9 in 10 cases in the U.S. can be avoided by making lifestyle changes. These same changes can also lower the chances of developing heart disease and some cancers. The key to prevention can be boiled down to five words: Stay lean and stay active."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/disease-prevention/diabetes-prevention/preventing-diabetes-full-story/#:~:text=The%20good%20news%20is%20that,heart%20disease%20and%20some%20cancers.

Healthy eating to maintain/lose weight and exercise/movement. That's lifestyle. I'm going to add on to that stress management, sleep and socialization and avoid substance abuse.

It really ain't that complicated!!! 🤔

That's why I keep myself as well as I can and largely stay away from doctors.

And I did it before Google! 😉
(5)

I think that doctors are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anybody who hasn't heard the message to not smoke, eat less processed food, watch our weight and to get a moderate amount of exercise is either living under a rock or are being willfully blind. People who are already proactive about their health are following a regimen and aren't as open to hearing a difference of opinion from doctors and "big pharma", and the people who are willfully blind can be very resistant to making lifestyle changes, both groups can be difficult to deal with.
(3)

GREAT soccer match yesterday!

Football match? Soccer game?
(3)

So, it’s nearly Christmas and our weather has dropped into the 50’s! 🎉 Woohoo, it’s kind of feeling like Christmas weather. LOL
(4)

On the topic of wellness...

Last night was my first night home after four nights in the hospital. I cannot believe how different my sleep was! I became tired around 10 pm, fell asleep without medication, slept all night without "the fits" I was having, and woke up this morning feeling weirdly normal. 😄 Long may it last.

I've been taking Ambien nightly for over two years. In the hospital, I was given Ativan every night. I was very concerned I would come home and still have sleep and anxiety issues and have to resort to meds. So far, I feel startlingly fine.

I wonder how much psych medication people take when there is a treatable biological factor underlying the symptoms. I bet it's a LOT, don't you? It's great that we have these tools to help people feel better, but it would be ideal to make them actually better if that's an option. Or approach both sides: alleviate suffering while improving the contributing factors, but don't ignore and band-aid over them.

Medication always has side effects, so treating "the root of the root" of problems is the best path to wellness.
(11)

AliBoBali, meds side effects are so hard to trace. Example, when pharma manufacturers a pill, the actually med needed is so small that the manufacturer has to make the pill larger by using "fillers".... then to keep the pill from falling apart, a "binder" agent is used.... and some pills have "coatings" to help us swallow the pill easier.

Well, any one of those binders, fillers, or coating can cause a side effect. It is always a challenge for me to find a pill that does the job without it making me feel blah.

One time I had to take a certain pill and found one pharma manufacture company that used products I could tolerate. I also found out my Mom was also using that same manufactuer for her pills. Then the manufacture merge with another company and the fillers, binders and coatings were different. We were not a happy campers.
(5)

ff - You are so right and that's a big deal for me with my various allergies/sensitivities. One of the two drugs I take regularly suddenly started causing me extreme sinus pain. It was a new batch so I talked to the pharmacist and said I was allergic to gluten and dairy. Dairy was the culprit, so she did some research and found one brand that was OK and I have been fine taking it since - thank goodness. It is the one that helps me with fibromyalgia.

My dd has asked me give her a list of the drugs (few) and supplements (many) that I am taking so if needed she can act for me. She knows about my food allergies. I need to note the aspect of fillers in pills too. Thx!
(4)

I always think that I have picked up the wrong script if I see a different pill. Sure enough, when I call the pharmacy they inform me that it is the same med but that they changed manufacturers.
(2)

Anyone watching the tribute to Paul Simon? New Orleans own musicians, Irma Thomas and Trombone Shorty just did Paul’s song, Take Me To The Mardi Gras.

They are two of my favorite local performers. I have been listening to Irma since I was a teenager. Trombone Shorty is so much fun!

Saw Paul Simon at our Jazz Fest many years ago. Fantastic show! I wasn’t at all surprised by the huge crowd.

There were many people at the fest my age that grew up with Simon’s music but there were also a ton of younger people who knew him from their parents.

My girls always listened to my music from the time they were young. As they grew older they expanded their taste to other music too.

My parents and grandparents always had music on.

Concerts were so cheap when we were young. Now they are very expensive. Jazz fest tickets have gone up but they are worth every penny. Top notch fest with great performances, food and art.
(2)

Just reminiscing ~

Dec 10 this year was 4 years since mother passed. My life has considerably changed for the better. Her estate has been settled for a couple of years and I have been no contact with my sister since then. Whew!!! What a relief.

I would encourage those going through caregiving of narc, personality disordered, difficult parents/people that it will come to an end. In the meanwhile, be sure you focus enough on yourself and your well being.

Don't let any other person become the center of your universe. Make your own choices separate from what they want, and rather on what they and you need. Your needs are just as important as theirs are and, at times, more so.

I know it is hard and none of us do it perfectly. Just keep trying and be sure to include little pockets of peace in your life, which are all about you and which are enjoyable. You deserve enjoyment - daily if possible. And keep your forgiveness up to date so hurts don't fester. Big (((((((hugs)))))) to all. This forum was a life saver for me and reminded me to keep my boundaries.
(6)

Golden,

Lovely encouraging words for others.

It’s true that it’s terribly difficult going through the journey of caregiving. It’s so wonderful to see changes in our lives afterwards and feel like we can breathe again. We can grow and learn at any age!

I find that I am often inspired by my daughters. They seem to have a whole different perspective on life. They haven’t thrown away ideas from past generations but they don’t allow them to dictate their thoughts either. I admire their independence and the fact that they don’t need the approval of others to make important decisions in life.

It always made me sad that my mom cared so much about what others thought.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter