Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Oh my gosh, I watch the Twilight Zone marathon every year on New Year’s Day. I feel so old! LOL 😆

It’s fun to see the stars who were on that show when they were younger. Lots of people did guest appearances on Twilight Zone.

Love Rod Serling!
(0)

Send, Thanks! 😊
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, ah yes doing family trees are addicting. For 4-5 years every free minute I was doing research up until midnight. It was such a high for me.

I was so addicted that I was doing a family tree for anyone who was interested. It was so exciting to find all kinds of interesting items. I even found outlaws; cattle rustlers; one family where the husband, wife, and their three children and grandchildren were all Attorneys.

Even found how women were placed on the back burner when it came to employment long time ago.... one had her Master's degree in Chemistry but the only job opened to her was that of a Home Economics teacher, a good job but it didn't use her background.... yet her brother who also had a Master's degree in Chemistry became VP of Research for a large company where he used his degree.

Also saw where women who were school teachers long time ago, if they got married, they had to leave their job. That happened to my Grandmother. Oh how she missed teaching. But heaven forbid if a married pregnant women was a [gasp] school teacher !!
(6)

FF,

Yes! Me too. My daughters cracked up at some of the things I uncovered in my tree! My oldest daughter said, “Mom, your mom’s side of the family really got around! LOL 😆 I have relatives in India!

Makes sense, I suppose though. We are predominantly British and India was a British colony.

I tracked my husband’s family back pretty far too. Those beautiful Italian and French names!

Didn’t you love reading the beautiful names of your ancestors? Oh my gosh, gorgeous European names. I loved selecting names for my daughters.

I don’t have any sons but I had a boy’s name picked out in case we would have had a son.

My husband was adamant about not naming a child after him. He doesn’t like ‘junior’ and prefers that a child has their own name. Other people love having a child named after them. To each his own, I suppose.
(1)

FF, my mom, the home ec teacher, would argue with you on the Chemistry part of home ec. Cooking is all about chemical reactions between ingredients. My mom's major was textiles her minor was chemistry. Her master's in guidance and counseling.
(3)

Who Dat! Yay 😃! We won the game against the Eagles!

I made a Saints bandana that my granddog wore today! I love sewing for him. He has a Saints, LSU, Thanksgiving and Christmas bandana that I made for him.

He’s such a sweet dog! Siberian huskies are so beautiful. Those blue eyes of his melt my heart.
(1)

Buffalo Bills Damar Hamlin.🙏🙏
(6)

And Tee Higgins. He was tackled by Damar. I cannot imagine what he must be feeling! Something went totally wrong on that play.😞😞

And for anyone wondering, I am still loving this heated mattress pad! Worth every dime!
(5)

Damar is awake and neurologically intact! Asked who won the game!👵👵
(7)

Glad,

I saw that! Absolutely fantastic news!
(3)

That's such good news. Hope the young man recovers completely,
(3)

Went to see the PA in my derm office today; biopsy will back in 2 weeks.
(7)

barb - hope it is nothing to be concerned about. R has had several surgeries for skin cancer as he has been out in the sun for hours and hours a day all his life. They have healed well.
(4)

Barb 🤞🙏❤️
(3)

Inspired by a thread about grooming in later life, I uploaded a picture of me cutting my 103 GM's hair. She knew I was taking care of her "looks" and appreciated it.

This pic is more than a decade old at this point. It just made me smile to remember.

Barb, for yourself? I hope it's good news. How is DH?

I went to ENT yesterday. Audio test for tinnitus and a sleep study are ordered. I'm happy to be chasing down things related to sleep issues if only to rule them out. I still have more problems with sleep/panic than I'd like, even after my hospitalization and sodium correction.

FF, that's something I remember about you, how you love ancestry chasing, and I think it would be so much fun. And, as you alluded, how many women were lost to history because of their limited choices in society, and also because they took married names, I think.

It is what it is. It would be difficult for anyone, I imagine, to chase down maternal ancestors' families. They weren't documented the same way.
(5)

Awww - love it. Good for you. Hope someone takes care of that for me if I reach 103. In one of mother's facilities they cut her hair short into a nice style. In the NH all the ladies had the same "style" - hair cut straight around just below the ears. It wasn't becoming but most were past the point of having a hairdresser. Hope the tests show something that can be treated.
(3)

Ali: Very sweet! Thanks for sharing.
(3)

well Whoo Hoo!! I get my truck back tomorrow!! It went to the dealership on the 13th, after crapping out 10 days prior, then the wait for parts. Luckily it is under warrenty, and the second time in for the same problems it was "recalled" for last year, so I own nothing! New transmission, back up camera system and module for the touch screen. Bad news.. it has adaptive driving,, so it will be back to the begining and it takes 800 or so miles to learn my driving style. I swear when I first got it I told my hubs it was trying to kill me! i had to get used to all the safety stuff. It even askes if I need to pull over and get coffee if I am distracted. Still have not found the coffee maker... LOL And the body shop called with the date they can fix my dent and wheel on the car. This year needs to move on and get better!
(6)

Great news, Pam!
(1)

So, I am all caught up with vaccines. Awhile back I got my flu, pneumonia and shingles. Today I got my Covid booster shot.
(3)

Great news Pam!
(2)

That's great, Pam.

Good for you, need. I have to get my covid booster then I am caught up. Maybe toorrow.
(3)

The got my fourth Covid a couple of months ago, before that the high dose flu.

Fully vaxed.

Now this new variant of Covid seems to be more contagious than previous variants. Hospitalizations increasing again. Just get me in and out of stores and other public places in a hurry, thank you, very much!
(5)

They only offered the Bivalent here. Got it on 10/16/21.
(2)

I just got off the phone with sis and I'm so stressed about a family wedding next spring, I know the groom is a hopeless romantic but he has absolutely no clue what he's asking of us and I don't think the bride is any better. He wants it to be "special" and he wants to please his fiancee - he doesn't get that having us each drop several grand on a tiny wedding (immediate family only) at a fancy venue is an expensive obligation not a fun time.
(9)

cw,

Wedding expenses can get out of hand very quickly! Some couples have huge engagement parties too.

The ‘destination’ weddings cost a fortune! I know someone who had their wedding on an expensive cruise ship and had the reception on an island. Whatever…to each their own, if a person can afford it. Most people are on a more modest budget.

We didn’t have any engagement celebrations. I’m older. It wasn’t a popular thing then. I am 67.

What about those crazy ‘gender reveal’ parties too? Baby showers are a big deal now! Kids birthday parties too. We had backyard parties when we were kids.
(5)

I got lucky when my son married. His future brother-in-law owned a hotel and a restaurant and donated their use for wedding events. His dad and I paid for food for the rehersal dinner and that was the only expense we had.
(6)

It's not even about the money, it's about his/their total lack of understanding and the belief that he/they have planned something that we should be thrilled about and GRATEFUL for. And there is a palpable disappointment when anyone says anything that is perceived as negative, which is basically asking any questions at all.
(6)

NeedHelpWithMom, when I was growing up my folks also had backyard birthday parties. My Mom made me dress up in a dress, oh how I hated wearing dresses as I was a tomboy, especially in the middle of July.

Not even graduation celebrations, as one was suppose to graduate from high school.
For college, I got a dozen roses and my folks paid for dinner out :)

When I got married, I wanted to save money so I found a really nice white prom dress for under $100 [this was back in the 1970's].
(5)

FF,

Yep, things were different when we were younger!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter