Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I remember Ahmijoy saying she was changing usernames because her account was not able to be accessed. Another one of her names I thought was very derogatory towards herself. It was something to do with fat mama or something like that.
(3)

Bookluvr
Hope
Assandache
Veronica
Pamstegman
Staceyb
Madge
MountainMoose - I see her around but not nearly as often.
(9)

Going for coffee in the morning at the only coffee shop in town, first time since last July? HGTV shut down the coffee shop then, they had contractor problems and finally reopened after Christmas. Now they are open only Monday-Friday.

Who in the world would not open a coffee shop in the downtown shopping area on Saturdays?!

So this is a whine too!
(6)

Alva: Glad to hear that Captain is okay.
(3)

Anyone hear from Paul in England? I wonder about his troublesome dad.
(3)

I was thinking the other night that one day if this forum stands the test of time we'll all be gone and replaced by others. Kind of a morbid thought I know but life can certainly be morbid.

When I listen to the news and they talk about infrastructure projects to be completed 20 or more years from now I think to myself, will I still be here? It's a strange feeling. But that's life I guess. We come, we go.

Hope I cheered you all up with my macabre thoughts. LOL
(10)

Gershun, on that note...

The Story of Honi and the Carob Tree
based on a midrash in the Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Ta’anit 23a

A long, long time ago
in the land of Israel lived
A very wise man named Honi the Circle Maker
Honi was famous in those days
Because Honi knew special prayers
that no one else knew
But…despite being so wise
Honi was also very impatient.
One time,
when it was the time of the rainy season
No rain fell.
The ground was too hard for planting
The crops began to dry out
All of the people began to worry.
"What will we do?" they cried.

So they went to Honi the Circle Maker and said,
"Please,
can you talk to God,
Ask God to make it rain?"
"Why should I?" Honi asked.
The people answered
"If there is no rain, how will we grow our food?"
"Ach", Said Honi
"I have plenty of food in my cabinet".
"HONI!" they said,
"For once think about someone else."
"FINE!" said Honi
So Honi the circle maker
drew a big circle on the ground
with a piece of chalk
And Honi stood in the middle of the circle
And Honi said:
"God
I will not move from this circle
until you make it rain."
But nothing happened
So Honi said:
"God
Maybe you didn’t hear me
It is I;
Honi the Circle Maker
These people need rain—
a rain of blessing
to soften the earth
and bring food to the hungry.
I know you, God, are just and compassionate
And I’m not moving from this circle
until you make it rain!"

And then there was thunder and lightning
And rain fell from the skies
in a tremendous downpour
And all the people cheered
“Hurray for Honi the circle maker”
And they all ran off to tend to their crops
and to plant their vegetables.
And Honi said,
"Ach, Look at me.
I’m soaking wet
And a big prayer like that really makes me hungry."
And he set off down the road
looking for something to eat
And Honi came upon an elderly woman
who was planting a tree
"Excuse me"
he said
"What kind of tree are you planting?"
"It is a carob tree", she said.
Honi said to the gardener
"Carob huh?
How long will it take the tree to bear fruit?"
"Well", she said,
"It will take 70 years."
"70 YEARS!" cried Honi.
"I mean, not to be rude or anything,
But you’re not exactly a youngster.
Are you certain you will live
another seventy years
to enjoy the fruit of this tree?"

"Perhaps not,
said the woman.
"However, when I was born into this world,
I found many beautiful carob trees
planted by those who came before me.
Just as my ancestors planted trees for me,
I am planting trees
for my children and grandchildren
so they will have carob to eat."

And for the rest of his days
Honi the Circle Maker learned that it is good to think of others – so
he helped to plant carob trees
so all the children and grandchildren
would have plenty to eat when they came into the world.
(6)

Great Barb! Good story.

Maybe our thoughts on here will benefit the future generations of caregivers.

That is one way of looking at things. A positive way.
(3)

Oh, and I miss Jeanne Gibbs, terribly. I understand from her daughter in law that she's had a stroke, but she still posts on Reddit occasionally.

I loved her cake pictures. And her advice was spot on.

From Jeanne I learned the idea that you give elders dignity by allowing them to pay their way.
(8)

I miss Jeanne too. There are a lot of people I miss on here.
(4)

Jeanne Gibbs
Jude/Phoenix Daughter
StacyB
Rainmom

Jude, in the UK made me laugh with her sense of humor.
(5)

Who was it that talked about wearing a helmut when caregiving?
(1)

Well I tried to imagine wearing a cap with 'Common Sense' written in capital letters on the front 😁

An actual hard hat or helmut would be even better 😆

A helmut, a shield & a ping pong bat better still! 🤣
(4)

Barb: That "pay their way" story that you mentioned about Jeanne Gibbs reminded me of my mom. She always wanted to and did - even if it was $3 or $300.
(6)

My mom was a pay her own way kind of gal too. She was an accountant when she worked and all her financial affairs were in perfect order.
(4)

In agreement on the pay your own way.
And when we lose everything else, dignity can be all that is left.
(2)

Spelling helmet wrong. Not helmut.
Thinking wearing the helmet was a joke to protect your head when you banged it against the wall, over and over. Not sure I can recall it exactly.

But Garden Artist wore a Ghillie suit-not even sure she remembered why, or when.

All those discussions kept me entertained and laughing my way through some tough times.

A very long time ago.
(8)

Just a quick update on my "boys": my 8 and 14 year old grand nephews have formed a foursome with my 9 and 15 year old foster sons. When they're not in school they are usually together. 15 year old is playing school sports for the first time and loving it. The "littles" spend every warm day (40 or higher) in the yard until dark (unless they're eating).

I recently made a decision against advice. My older foster son is resistant to attending weekly meetings with a counselor; he says she only wants to talk about the past and he wants to forget his past and live in the present. We talked about how he might have some issues from the past that could mess up things in his future with a couple of examples from my dad's life. I decided he doesn't need to deal with all that right now as long as he remains open that he may benefit from some counseling later. I have switched councillors for a once a month session to focus on current challenges he is facing.

The judge has ruled the younger boy does not need to see his mother until she completes her jail and probation; should be about 4 years.

With the uncomfortable sessions removed (at least for now) both boys seem more at ease. I'm not "making" them go to these meetings anymore; they get to attend ball games or practice or play instead. I actually feel good when I need to fuss a bit about picking up their room or the muddy shoe prints down the hall. We seem to be finding a "normal".
(12)

TNtechie,

My oldest is from my first marriage. Her father gave up his rights and my now husband adopted her. At about 13 we started having problems with her and went into counseling. I was sure our problems were because of my daughters bio father. Even before the adoption, he would see her one day a week for 2 hrs. When my DH asked if he would take her for the weekend so we could do something alone, he said he had things to do. He also was our mailman. He ignored my daughter when she asked if she could walk with him.

By the time we went to counseling we had been married 9 years and her adopted 5. The counselor did not want to touch on the bio father problem just on our family unit. She treated my DHlikeva stepfather not the "father" he was. But the family unit problem was the bio Dad. It takes a special person to work with kids. You are right, if counseling upsets them, they should not be forced to go. Its should be their choice. As long as they are secure in the knowledge that ur there to listen, thats a good thing. Wevdropped that counselor.

And my daughter, she had a baby at 16. I gave her options and she chose to keep him. She was told that he was her responsibility. He was a preemie so I took care of him during the day and she had him when she got home from school. She completed high school and then went to school for LPN. Moved out at 19, bought herself a car, at 24 a house 4 doors down. All on an LPN salary. She was about 30 when she went for her RN. Went to school 4 days a week and worked 3 days a week. She has done it all on her own. Turned out pretty good if I say so myself.
(8)

Among those not regular here anymore--WindyRidge.
I used to love the posts following the moving the parents, and the advice out to others attempting the same.
So many we have mentioned, and today we have an update from Anche in Italy. It just strikes me reading through here the wonderful sense of community on this site, and our infinite variety, the history of one another we slowly collect piece by piece, how we miss one another when one is gone, and are delighted to see them back. I think it is special in this our times. For certain special.
(9)

AlvaDeer, ah yes, WindyRidge, loved how he used humor for dealing with his parents. His parents and mine were cut from the same cloth :)

I am using that same humor with hubby and I as we are dealing with normal age related issues.

Sendhelp, I remember the football helmet reference. Back in 2017-2018 would start or end their discussion with "Where's my helmet?"
(5)

It seems to me that MsMadge might have been the one to wear a helmet.
I think MsMadge's Mother was in a nursing home and MsMadge visited there everyday and MsMadge's Mother was pretty old,maybe over a hundred.
I can't remember....
Sometimes she took treats to the other patients that lived there and
One time she posted that the staff took away and threw away all the resident's stuffed animals and dolls due to contamination and I remember being upset about that.
IDK, but I miss MsMadge~
(6)

So sick of the shootings in our city. Shooting at the Bacchus parade, four people injured, ages 24, 22, 18 and 4. So sad 😞. One teenager killed. So senseless!

Our city now has 49,000 signatures that will be turned over to recall our mayor. Something has to change in New Orleans to end this madness.
(6)

Hey guys. Thank you for the nice comments Alva and FF. I rarely post these days, been on here for years so everything seems to be Asked and Answered as the lawyers say, but I still check in to see how folks are doing.

I also wonder about many good folks who helped me get through my caregiving struggles. Garden Artist, Black Dog Mina and many others.

I’m very sad to see that Becky/Bridget has passed away. We both grew up in the same area of WV and knew lots of people and places in common.

My wife and I are well, still in northern Michigan taking care of each other, two horses and a new dog (Way too old for this young pup!)

Anyway, thanks again to all the folks who have been so supportive in the past.
(10)

NHWM, daughter in NOLA visiting a friend over the weekend. Went to Endymion Saturday. Too tired to go to Bacchus on Sunday . . .

It’s all so ridiculous. And so unnecessary. And such a waste! Of course we had a killing in Philly over the weekend.
(2)

I may not return to that coffee shop. It changed hands about a year and a half ago; the quality just is nowhere close to what it was. And really?! Rice Krispie Treats in the cookie display?!

I had egg pie this morning thinking it would be safe and fresh today since they were closed all weekend. Nope, leftover from last week.

Egg pie is gluten free the crust is ore-ida hash browns.

There is another coffee shop in the process. Looks like they have inspections this week. If all goes well, may be open within a week or two.
(3)

Kat.

New Orleans is a great place to visit. I hope that your daughter is enjoying her trip here.

I grew up here and I am amazed at the change from when I was a child. I walked or rode my bicycle all over. I could ride the bus or streetcar as a young girl and was never concerned about anything happening. I never allowed my daughters to do what I did as a child because things have changed so much.

I know what neighborhoods to avoid but crimes can happen anywhere these days.

We rely on tourism, especially for Mardi Gras and our Jazz and Heritage Festival. Our Jazz Fest is a top notch event. We are known for our food and music.

Mardi Gras was always a special time for me. My mom was an excellent seamstress and made fabulous costumes that I loved wearing on Mardi Gras day.

Endymion and Bacchus are the prettiest parades. It’s a different vibe now since crime has increased in our city. It’s depressing to see.
(3)

Luckylu
Isnt Ms Madge the poster whose mom was referred to as “The Viking”.

Hi Windyridge,
Good to hear from you.
(5)

Glad,

Scratch that place off of your list. Rice Krispies? Really???
(2)

Yes Madge's mom was the Viking. I miss her fun Viking stuff to share.

Yes, NHWM, rice krispie treats in the cookie case! Other cookies too, but marshmallows?!

HGTV wasted their time and effort on that one!

They are just not at all open to suggestions, requests, nothing. They have a breakfast bagel, egg, cheese and meat choice but only on an everything bagel. They won't even give an option of a plain bagel.

They will drive that place into the ground.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter