Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
❤️🙂

just sending courage, hugs & wisdom to all!
(2)

Bundle, glad to see you are back. All is well with you?
(1)

Tomorrow is 8 years since my Dad passed, and for some reason I go back to work after 2 weeks off tomorrow! Pray for me! I had a rough time on the anniversary of my Moms death,, what were they thinking! Or what was I thinking?
(11)

Need, I didn't see the movie HER, but I do recall a woman who had a son with autism who absolutely loved the Alexa on her phone, who would "chat " with the phone and was comforted by her sort of voice cadence delivery, was calmed by her.
(1)

Sending prayers your way Pam!
(4)

I think some of us, because of life events, just do not grieve as others. I have a neighbor that lost her husband, unexpectedly, in October. She was out of town celebrating dad's 80th. The depth of her grief I have never seen before. I don't understand. I lost my dad to suicide when I was 12. I think that sort of loss at a young age can really impact the ability to grieve through life. Maybe I have become so cynical about so many things.....

I just don't know.
(5)

With this neighbor I think it is partly a personality thing and a feeling that she feels she needs to be taken care of. Though terrible for me to say, it almost feels like a "poor me" reaction. Narcissistic. Like I said before, I just do not understand at all.
(4)

pamz: Prayers.
(5)

Pamz -prayers for tomorrow. May God give you peace.

Glad - I am always sad hearing about your dad's suicide. That must have been very hard for you. Re your neighbour, people are different in personality culture etc. That could affect her grieving. I guess it would not be good for you to be sucked into that. We all have different ways of coping. I think I became very cynical at a young age due to family dysfunction.
(8)

Glad,

I totally agree with what you’re saying. Grief is such a personal thing. Everyone experiences it in their own ways.

I’m so sorry that you lost your dad at such a young age.

Pam,

Said a prayer for you.
(4)

Glad,

I know what you are saying about your neighbor. I know someone who has a similar personality type and I have had to distance myself from her.

Like your neighbor, she also has a ‘victim’ personality and narcissistic traits.

The other thing that she does is, ‘one up’ everything that anyone else says to her. There is no comforting anyone like this. They are stuck in one position and don’t seem to want to get help.

The person that I know is still grieving horribly for her husband that died in 2009! She behaves like he just died yesterday.

I know that we will always miss people that we loved dearly, no matter how long it has been, BUT, her grief isn’t normal.

She wants to speak about her husband, morning, noon and night, day after day, week after week and year after year. She isn’t ever able to talk about anything else.

I gently told her to see a therapist and she responded by saying that they can’t help her. At that point, I was at a loss how to handle her situation.
(2)

@Glad

I think when people have had trauma and/or abuse at a young age it makes how they see things different from other people. It can make a person hard too. Hard times made me hard. I too see many people as having a "poor me" or "victim" mentality. Which is not to say that I don't care or that I lack empathy for others. People like us usually had to be adults and put away childish things a lot sooner than we should have had to. So we're not as indulgent of other people's nonsense.
@Need
You know there are people out there like your neighbor who actually enjoy grief. They really do. These people go to every funeral even when it's someone they barely knew because they enjoy it.
Your neighbor keeps her grief alive because she likes and craves the attention from others that someone who is grieving will get. If she let herself put down the constant grief she risks losing that attention. My grandmother was like that. She hated her husband to her very core. A pre-arranged marriage made back in the old country. He was an abusive drunk old enough to be her father who regularly to beat her and the kids. My father especially. When he died she wore head-to-toe black for the rest of her life. Some people enjoy grief. I think your neighbor is such a person.
(4)

Burnt,

Oh gosh, can you ever imagine going through with an arranged marriage? It’s hit or miss!

I feel the same, living through trauma indeed changes a person’s perspective on things.

Some people do thrive on sadness or misery. It’s terribly depressing to be around people like that.

I care about others but if I find that all of my energy is being drained. I will back off in order to protect myself.
(2)

I also lost my Dad when I was four years old. I think it definitely molded me into the person I am today. I truly feel that I started to take care of my mom at age four. No lie. I always felt that God gave me my purpose in life after my Dad died to live for my mom. While that sounds really noble I believe it probably wasn't good for me to think that way.

When my brother died at a fairly young age I suddenly recognized the feeling and realized that was a feeling I'd been having all my life. I never understood this kind of pervasive sadness that always crept up all my life, but when he died it was like this lightbulb moment where I thought "oh, now I get it"

So not to say I have grieved all my life but maybe losing someone so young gives you this idea of the inevitability of death and sadness somehow.
(7)

Thank you all, I made it through
(6)

Gershun,
That is a very young age to become responsible for another person.
Did anyone tell you to take care of Mom?

Sorry you went thru so much loss of those closest to you.
(2)

Pammz,
Sometimes all we can do is get through the toughest days.
Hope you feel supported and encouraged that you made it!
(3)

No Send, I just felt I had to for some reason. I think I thought she'd die too if I didn't. At least that's how I felt then and then it just carried over into my adulthood.

Obviously I knew later on she wouldn't die if I didn't but it just became my way of life and I never thought to stop.

I don't regret all the love I gave her though. It wasn't really a burden, just a labor of love.
(4)

The road is long
With a many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
… But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
… So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
… For I know
He would not encumber me
… If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another
… It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
… And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
… He's my brother

She's your mother!
(3)

"He ain't heavy, He's my brother"
song by the Hollies
(4)

I always loved that song Send.
(2)

G, I absolutely get where you are coming from!

My folks had been going through a very ugly divorce that took 4-5 years. It had been final for just a few weeks when my dad passed. At that point I started to see things in my mom that I never really had before. Or I was older and better understood. My mom was a whack-a-doodle! I wonder if she was bipolar. I remember her fits of rage, more so after my dad was gone. And the bad mouthing she did of my dad! Nothing children should ever have to go through!

My mom went back to work and started working on her Master's degree, in guidance and counseling, of all things! She would get home from work, go to her room and study and work on papers, nap and whatever. I often would have to get dinner put together for mom and twisteds and me. I am the oldest after all.... Once dad had taken me and twisteds to dinner, got home, and mom was in the garage with the car running.

There are others that have had terrible childhoods. How we live through it I never will understand.
(7)

Glad,

I agree. It robs us of our childhood when we are exposed to situations that we aren’t old enough to understand. This happened in my family too, mainly due to my brother being an addict.

Honestly, I understand that my parents didn’t know how to handle these things. There wasn’t any support for families back then. It was a ‘hush hush’ era. Support groups weren’t around.

I spent a good deal of my childhood being confused.
(5)

Don't get me wrong. My mom never expected me to take on the responsibility. I just think my young brain felt I needed to. My mom was awesome.

Also, it wasn't just me in the picture either. I had six siblings. One of which had schizophrenia, which was another burden on my mom and the family as he could be violent at times.

I think I took on the responsibility of my mom cause I was so afraid I'd lose her too. She was recovering from breast cancer at the same time as my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so it was a valid fear although at the young age of four I doubt I really comprehended it all. But my subconscious must have taken it all in somehow and that is most likely why I was so protective of my mom.

I in no way blame my mom for any of it. She had so many burdens of her own bringing up seven kids, one of whom had a serious mental disease.
(6)

My son has invited me to a college hockey game (he works for the college) and to stay the weekend. I am so excited not much exciting happens around here, other than cats with rubberbands. 😁😁

It will be good for me to get out of here for a few days!
(8)

Can someone please contact the site admin on my behalf?

I have not been able to get into my Profile for weeks now. I sent an email from within this site last week: no response.

I called the (239) 594-3222 number listed at the Contact Us page and got a message saying only, "Extension 3125 is not available. Please leave a message after the tone."

I tried 4 times to post a help request in Discussions and 1 time in Questions but it just keeps automatically logging me out without posting, that's why I'm putting this within a thread. I even switched to Chrome from Safari to see if it makes a difference. Nope.

Thanks for any help!
(1)

I totally get the number a dysfunctional family childhood does one a person. We take on adult responsibilities, endure stresses no child should have to endure, accept abuse as part of the "norm". It's a long road as an adult recovering from these experiences and a lot of mistakes, a lot of relearning and a lot of hard work. (((((((hugs))))) to everyone

glad- happy for you that you are having a break thanks to your son. It sounds great. I miss the breaks I used to take pre covid and now it doesn't make much sense to go south with the move looming.

Made it through another winter here! Happy March 1 though still snowy and somewhat cold. Better days are ahead.
(3)

Geaton,

I hope your issue is resolved soon.
(1)

Geaton, you and JoAnn both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the site is sure not what it once was. We all used to have an email, a way in. Last I tried that no response. I am going to try an emergency admins admins callout. Like I always say to our OPs. I sure do wish you luck (meaning I feel hopeless sometimes.)
(0)

Geaton I have tried to make an emergency please help post calling out the admins. But something is definitely up with our site. My own just went all avatar-missing and sign in request. I signed in and FOR NOW my profile showed us. But JoAnn is having trouble now for days and can't reach anyone. I think that is a new problem with the page as well. It is pretty unresponsive to our reaching out. Hope this gets fixed.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter