Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Thanks 97 you're exactly right 🙂🙂‍↕️😍
(0)

Well, bad news keeps rolling in. My SIL broke several bones including ribs trying to train for a marathon. She is in her 50s, but has brittle bones from Addison’s disease. My brother retired but has to work a state job t get insurance (SIL works for a place that is three employees). My mom is rushing there to help. I hope my SIL does not injure herself permanently. My brother works full time, just got hired before I did.
(1)

Stop getting involved in everyone's trauma, DoggieMom. Concentrate on your own anxiety illness, on your own job, and on getting your own home. You aren't there to cure the world and don't have the wherewithal. I am sorry for all of this, but the larger the family the more issues there will be because we ALL have SOMETHING. Good to hear from you.
(2)

Oh I’m not. I can’t control what she does. I guess I found out my mom likes the being needed.
(0)

Doggiemom, most people that don't work so get caught up in others lives because they feel lost, and being needed helps them .

I for one are guilty for that, which is why I got so deep in Mom's caregiving.

Is your mom healthy enough to help, it may be good for her.

Sorry about your sil.
(0)

nacy - sorry about your uncle. I think we are never really prepared. I see you have figured it out - " It's a manipulative control tactic of moms. Something just felt off about it all." Gotcha!

doggiemom - while I am sorry about your family's problems, I'm glad your mom is going. From what you said earlier, having her with you wasn't working that well. As we all get older, health problems crop up more and more. That's life. Try to focus on the good stuff in your life and build on that.
(3)

Thanks Golden, funny you mentioned that, the last month my mom has had this odd secret she didn't want me to know. She has always been like this. Anyways it bugged me but I got it outta my mind, honestly I've distanced myself enough, where her problems are for her and my brother to figure out.

Anyways I found out the secret today. 😂 She is getting new hearing aids, and won't tell me because I told her years ago I'm not taking her to miracle ear , unless she is getting new hearing aids, that she desperately needed.

So now she doesn't want me to know. 😂
(3)

The secrets , like children .

My 87 yo MIL , very frail , kept her recent fender bender from us until she found out my BIL had told my DH .

We hadn’t heard from her for a while , just like when a kid is too quiet and you go searching for them in the house to see what they are up to .

So DH called . She volunteered telling DH about her accident , DH just listened , didn’t say anything and she just kept digging the hole deeper . She had a Stop sign , ( so she did not have right of way ) but says it wasn’t her fault because the other guy “ must have been flying “ . Then she proceeded to say if she thought she couldn’t drive she would stop , however she “ thinks she can still drive “.
She has other options , she lives in a very active condo where younger retirees drive the older ones for a fee . We are supposed to see her Saturday to talk to her but now I’m waiting to hear about funeral plans for my friend .

One of my best friends 66 yo died last night of cancer . She did not get to have a nice retirement like my MIL did .
(4)

Just got a call from the lawyer's office - a bright young thing who reeled off her spiel at high speed so I had to slow her down at various points to understand what she was saying. I choose to meet by Zoom on my laptop to sign documents for the house sale rather than driving into town. Love these options!

However, I am left with a bad taste in my mouth about the sale and need to vent. After an unacceptable low ball offer, the buyer came up to a low reasonable amount, then asked for a fair amount off due to the property report.

Well, that was something else - basically dishonest. Never seen anything like it. There were issues where there had never been issues in the house before - pages and pages of them. The most ridiculous being that there wasn't a door closer on the door between the house and the garage and that someone qualified should be hired to install a door closer. The most dishonest being that one of the furnaces and the air conditioning weren't working. My realtor went to the house that evening and found they were working fine. It went on and on...Had it been reasonable I would have met them half way.

So I decided not to grace this with an answer. My realtor had received a call that day from a prospective buyer who definitely wanted it and offered a much better price. So I stayed firm and at the very last minute the original prospective buyers decided to go with it. It would have been nice to get more for the house, but it's sold which is the main thing and they will take the contents which helps us a lot.

Having someone willing to pay a better price has made me feel better about the whole thing, after that disaster of a property report. It was obviously designed to downgrade the property so I would take $$$$ off. That's not the purpose of a property report!

It's all coming to an end, thank goodness. I'll be so glad when it is completely over.

Also on my mind today, R went in for a prostate follow up and his PSA numbers are well down. His dr decided on another 6 months of hormone therapy and then we will see in March whether to continue with it. That's good news. Only better would be that the PSA is at zero and that's what we are praying for for March. He has managed the side effects well and is getting his energy back after that and the concussion. However, I will say at times he looks as if he has aged some - not surprising. But he is a survivor and on his good days he looks his usual self. 😊
(6)

Hmmm, I'm of two minds about e-signatures, on the one hand they are very convenient but on the other I fear they are open to abuse.
When it comes to the inspection report, well I did ask for a price reduction when the inspector revealed that the shingles needed replacing and the seller agreed, so it never hurts to ask. I think with house inspections everything depends on their integrity and competence, but on the whole they are a scam designed to make a middleman money.
(4)

way - I'm so sorry about your friend. That's too young and cancer is a b***h. I lost a couple of friends to cancer. One in her 40s, another in her 50s.

Secrets abound in dysfun fams. Glad you now officially know about the accident. Mil is hardly a good judge of her own driving skills. Of course, nothing is her fault -never was, never will be. 🙄
(1)

Golden ,

Thanks . You are right, MIL is never wrong in her eyes , she even complained that the policeman was talking to the other driver more than he did to her . That’s because her account , which I didn’t write all of it here, is so ridiculous .
(1)

Golden, I'm so glad husbands PSAs are good!!

I've heard selling is never easy!
(2)

Golden,
So glad it is done. Inspection part was the worse for me, nerve racking as one never knows. It took 4 hours to sell and 10 days to wait for inspection results!
And about R, that is excellent news!
(2)

Oh Golden, such good news all around!!!

I will believe with you that the PSA will be a big fat goose egg in March.
(1)

Stay safe to all of are friends in Florida! And every in the hurricane area!
(0)

It is normal for PSA levels rise as men age. I am not sure that what I was reading was accurate, but normal could be higher, 4.5 or 5.
(0)

Yes. Send, look up age and PSA levels. There are different levels for different ages.
Be careful also if your loved one is on one of the new generation of blood thinners. They can raise the level exponentially. Happened to my SIL after a blood clot to the lung and being put on these blood thinners. Oddly, when his PSA skyrocketed he said "Any chance this is my new med" and his doc said NOPE. And sure enough when we looked it up it is common.
(2)

Bringing Mom to doctors at 2, cold symptoms started last night. Now fever. I expect covid
(3)

I'm sorry, nacy. Hope she is OK.
(0)

Yeah I'm pretty worried, trying to get her to doctors ASAP to get the meds in her. She didn't get her vaccine yet this year

And how the heck am I not gonna get it. And does it even matter, if I was with her all day yesterday?
(1)

She is positive
(2)

Anxietynacy,

Oh boy . If she coughs a lot that’s not going to make her back feel better .
(0)

Nope and she is and I feel stuff, could just be sympathy pains.

Going to drug store now to get her meds and stocked up with everything.

Then I think I'm going to text POA brother and tell him . I'm sick moms sick. Have fun. Lol. Even if my test is negative, lol
(0)

Nacy, sorry to hear this.
Just to let all know, the government passing out free tests again, four of them. Keep them around so you don't have to expose others to Covid.
I got the new booster and didn't even as if Moderna or Pfizer, but sure did react one full day with chills, exhaustion. Didn't get flu shot with it as had that the week before without reaction.
Update us Nacy.
(1)

I just got a test, cold meds for my house, stuff for mom. I'll probably wait for morning to take it. But yeah I definitely need to order those.

And yes I wore, two face mask in the store and stayed far from people. 🙂
(0)

I left her, told her my shift was up, set her up with soup and all before I left.

Got it early and the paxlovoivd in her, so will see, day one so not so bad, now
(1)

Anxietynacy,

I hope you don’t get sick .. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
(2)

Hope you don't get sick and your mum recovers quickly. 🙏🙏🙏
(1)

Nacy- I hope you're spared. It recently hit my home, and every single one of us got it except for my FIL who lives downstairs. How he escaped it is a miracle, but I'll take it!

My FIL let his caregivers go yesterday. We had 2 wonderful ladies that each came 1 afternoon a week to do laundry, light housekeeping, errands and cook with him. He decided he does not "need all that" and can suffice with just hiring a housekeeper. Husband and I had a deep discussion with him, letting him know the caregivers were licensed, bonded and trained in handling biohazard waste (he's on chemo and has incontinence). Housekeepers may or may not be licensed and bonded, and many that I tried earlier this year declined our home because of his chemotherapy status. Its too risky. But somehow, he found one willing. I had to cancel my volunteer hours at my kids' school tomorrow so that i can be sure to be home when his new hired housekeeper arrives to make sure she is licensed and bonded, and aware that he is on chemo ( I don't trust he told her). I'm beside myself. The caregivers were amazing. They were so so good to him. I know that housekeepers won't do the shopping, or cooking with him, or give him rides. This will fall on me again. My husband and I are in the busy stage of life, with 3 kids in four sports. We are gone most of every day, and almost every week night til 9ish, and most weekends for tournaments and games. I had peace of mind knowing the caregiving company had him covered two days a week. Now I feel hopeless and unheard.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter