Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I got my grade back on the big assignment worth 240 points and it's 100%. I'm relieved. I am appreciative of this easy-grading professor, haha.

Today, I need to prep for the final exam in another class and finish any small tasks and I will be DONE for this term. Another one in the books.

I'm grateful I'm on track, despite the problems at home.

Bridger, I took a drive from Chicago out to the southern Atlantic coast last May. I had never seen that part of the country and just wanted to escape for a bit. It was during high covid alerts so I took all precautions and couldn't go to many of the beaches I wanted to see, but it was still nice and relaxing. Sounds like a very nice way to spend a spring day!
(7)

Got up to a dreary day of driving home to Ohio. My husband asked if I wanted to head south to the beach. Of course, I said yes. So we ‘re off to the Outer Banks. This what I wanted retirement to look like!
(6)

Thx GA & Bridger, my relative has good insurance & had already claimed for that dentist bill! Also has used a community service before (reduced fees) but they get overfull sometimes. So already getting rebates or reduced fees. Just wants freebies I suppose... or hint hint... someone else to pay.
(2)

Kellse, I know exactly what you mean. Here in Chicago it's common to see people posting big jobs or expecting professional level results but they are offering very little money per hour. I figure professional trades people don't even bother responding to those posts. And when you go looking for cheap work, I think that's actually what you get. So, it evens out in a way. :-)
(6)

Bridger, most definitely N poses harm. The scariest thing was when she called 911 and reported that I stabbed her. I need to get the incident report to see what it says but the cops told me they could see she was being erratic/irrational, and clearly she wasn't stabbed or injured at all.

The reason I gave her notice was because twice in one night, at 2am and 5 am, she had left the kettle on the stove unattended. The second time, it boiled dry for so long that handle melted onto the stove and the smoke detector went off. She passes out when she's smoking or cooking, so I think that's a danger, too.

A friend is helping me figure out any legal recourse. I hope to talk to some local attorneys this week to see if they can possibly help me in this situation.
(3)

Ali, My son who is a lawyer in Ohio says they have exceptions to the eviction moratorium if a tenant is threatening harm. Do you think N is nutty enough?
(4)

The problematic roommate, N, had thrown all of her stuff out of her room and said she was moving out, but now all the stuff went back into the room and she said she has "30 days." It's actually 10 days per the notice, but I won't be surprised when the day comes and goes and N is still here.

I'm just taking it a day at a time, focusing on school and work.

I went to water my plants in the front room today and N started yelling out from behind her adjacent bedroom door. She thought I was doing something? Listening at her door? lol I have no idea. I was just watering plants. It's a nightmare... but at least I'm getting video evidence of her manipulation, lying, and drug-related behavior.

She told my downstairs neighbor that I'm spying on her in her room. I'm not too concerned about the stupid accusations because I've lived here 3 years with L downstairs, and L and I get along fine. N has been here 2 months and is always on the front porch smoking and acting loony. Who would you believe, who would anyone believe?

But I'm starting to realize how set N is on manipulating things to where she is the victim and she gets whatever it is she wants.

I'm still waiting to talk to an attorney about the possibility of getting a restraining order. I hope I can speak to someone this week and get input about that.

My friend V says that everything N is doing is a set up, a trap, to get to stay here. I really don't know what to think. V called it "predatory druggie behavior" and said I was not equipped to deal with it because I'm too nice. I'm scared to think that V may have a point. Either way, I will have evidence that I need to show the full scope of erratic behavior.
(4)

My husband and I go to the dental school clinic for check ups and cleanings. It’s about one half the cost. If I needed fillings or whatever I would go to my regular dentist,
(1)

Beatty, I just saw your post in the News Feed section and wanted to respond.  I don't know if the issue of dental insurance has been discussed elsewhere, so I apologize if it has.  If not, this might help:

AARP has a plan with Delta Dental, if I remember correctly.  My father and I both enrolled and did get some savings off basic procedures.   As the years pass, Delta increases the coverage.

Some community colleges with dental programs also offer cheaper rates for standard procedures.  

I have BCBSM Medigap coverage, which now has expanded to include some dental procedures.   I need to spend some time outlining what it has vs. what Delta offers to determine which is best; that's what I did over a decade ago when we were making decisions which plan to purchase.
(2)

I had the pastry class today. It was much better than the bread class. Made a good variety of pastries.
(6)

My relative says Dentist charged too much so won't go back. OK. I know teeth are expensive but what can you do? Get your cleaning lady to fix those teeth then? I think her hourly rate is less.
(3)

Geaton: I know, right. So sad when the - oh, oh - crisis comes along and they didn't have the wherewithal to adapt.
(3)

My personal favourite is people on FB looking very good plumbers,electricians,or mechanics but they dont want to pay much . WTH people this is their lively hood
(3)

Bridger46164,
yes: the people who think there is free help. I feel so sorry for them because they find out too late and they are in a permanent pickle going forward. I realize that many many people live paycheck-to-paycheck but people mostly avoid thinking about a plan for their aging until there's a crisis. That's why in many of my responses I go on and on about PoA and guardianship whether they ask about it or not -- because people don't have a clue about any of that and it also creates a big pickle. But if we're talking about "peeves" here...mine is when people somehow "find" this forum but then ask for information that they can easily find themselves just by doing the same kind of search.
(2)

I love cooking class vacations.
(2)

That's really neat that your'e taking those classes Bridger and the resort sounds great.
Have a good time learning about pastries tomorrow~Hope it goes good!
(2)

Finished my bread class. Not particularly good. Too much about bread machines. Hope the pastry class tomorrow is better. But the resort is beautiful and the restaurants are great. My husband and sons have enjoyed golfing.
(5)

Needhelp, I'm so looking forward to eating out again. Restaurants, pubs etc are allowed to open for outdoor dining only, from next Monday in England. It's amazing to see how creative various establishments have been, in putting together some wonderful outdoor spaces. When you think they've had very little income over the past year, it's quite humbling to think of them investing money in this way. I want to support them. April evenings in the UK are usually freezing cold, so there will be plenty of throws and blankets! I think we should embrace this new way of eating out.
(2)

Going to meet my cousin today at a local Chinese restaurant for lunch.

She says her taste has finally come back after having Covid.

I’m sure there will be plenty of leftovers. She wants to order all of her favorite dishes but I know we won’t be able to eat them all.

We usually eat on leftovers for two days afterwards!
(6)

Stacy, Of people qualify for Medicaid that’s between them and Medicaid. I ‘m talking about the people who ask those in the community to cut their grass, clean their house etc And I don’t spend much time worrying about them. I have enough family that I help and just took on more. My brother has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, so I’m helping him.
(3)

I woke up and saw that, CW. I hope Queen Elizabeth will be ok. I was reading that death of a spouse is the highest "life circumstance" stressor in my text last night.
(6)

Prince Philip has died. I was worried for him when he was in the hospital this spring and I did think he look awful when he was discharged. 😞
(8)

Ali: I know that you were disappointed in the grade that you received, but you did well under a huge amount of stress! Just remember that. The situation with N has put you through such turmoil. She needs to vacate STAT.
(2)

Ali, when there are distractions like you have been dealing with the stress will impact all areas of your life, especially studies. The focus is impossible. My capstone was the worst grade because I had the constant distraction of mom, the first year I was caring for her. I remember sitting on the porch and talking with the man that asked me to do the project, I was so excited, then the project quickly became overwhelming. But, got it done. You will do the same and it will become so much easier when you take care of the roomie problem. Nothing is wrong with the grade you got, many get those and are very pleased.
(5)

cwille,

I share your sentiments!

Interesting what you said about the past generation,

I was FaceTiming with my niece, so my mom could say hello to her.

Only two people are allowed at the time in mom’s hospice house and my niece lives several states away.

My mom told her that she couldn’t believe that she was 95! She is so ready to join my dad in the afterlife.

It’s fine to be older if a person has good health.

My husband’s great grandmother lived just shy of 102!

She was dancing with the band we hired for her 100th birthday party. No walker, no cane! Had all her faculties. Oh, if we could all be so blessed!

She never took any meds except for Tylenol for an occasional headache.

She was in remarkable health. She died from old age.
(1)

Bridger, I think there is a fine line in what you are asking. My gma, 101, lives independent but the COA asks for a donation (she is cheap and gives 25 to 30) for them to shovel her roof.

On the other hand, I was working from home doing EITC today. Medicaid installed these cameras because, ugh, you know "rights," whatever. I was so irritated, the worker sat there from 8 to 10:15 on her phone not telling the client she was there until her phone went off. Just a waste imo.

So, my question is would you rather have tax dollars pay for a lawn cut or a worthless caregiver draining the system? Watching it daily makes me sick.
(1)

Oh, Ali. I know that you are disappointed but you did your best.

I don’t blame you for being upset about your whacked out roommate though.

She has to go! And the sooner the better, right?

She is too much of a distraction in your life. You deserve to live in peace.

Hopefully, she will see the error of her ways and own them.

Let’s hope that she will see the light in the future and live a productive life and not disrupt others lives like she has yours.
(2)

I just got my worst grade ever on an assignment, turned in yesterday when I was distracted and upset. It's 88%. I'm not going to allow myself to be upset. It's still a B grade. Even if I had turned it in late there would be 10 points off automatically, so I tried to just finish it and get it in on time. Ok, I'm a little disappointed, but not really about the grade it's about WHY I got the grade, because of N and her shenanigans.

Whatever. Whatever, whatever. Just need N to move out.

I'm concerned about the other assignment I turned in Tuesday, too. I'm not sure I did it right and it's worth 240 points, not 100, so if I do poorly it will drag my final grade down. I'm hopeful, because that professor is much easier grader.
(7)

Bridger,

Some people have never had enough to save.

They live paycheck to paycheck.

They have had unexpected expenses in life and are constantly playing catch up.

Through no fault of their own, they got behind or couldn’t get ahead.

These people sometimes need help over their bumps in road and that is understandable.

Regarding our ancestors, my grandmother was so resourceful in her life.

She simply didn’t believe in any waste. She taught my mom to be the same way. Mom taught me. My dad was the same. They believed in saving for a rainy day!

So many people don’t think about ‘tomorrow’ and seem to relish in flying by the seat of their pants.

Your family is blessed to have you and your husband in their lives. It is very kind of you to help them with their needs.
(0)

Ali,

I have my fingers crossed for you that she will move.

I agree. That’s a small price to pay for your peace of mind.

As usual, wishing you all the best!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter