Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Beatty: Thank you very much.
(2)

Gershun: Thank you so much.
(2)

Ali, just wonderful, good for you! Congrats!😊 You should be very proud of yourself! And with the stress of a difficult roomie which probably has something to do with you drinking more too.
(4)

*A big THANKS! for letting me butt this school-stuff into this thread. It's been helpful to vent about it. My alcohol use is up lately; nothing like during caregiving but still... it's a poor stress-reliever and I wish I had a better option that didn't put me to sleep. I was taking an anticonvulsant mood stabilizer med for most of last year but couldn't get refills due to covid happening and I couldn't reach the doctors' office by phone or even when I went in person. I noticed that it definitely helped me to moderate behavior, though I really didn't feel any different. I have an appt in a few days to hopefully get this med again and I'm curious to see if it will help balance my stress response to the demands of school work.
(8)

I just got my grade back on my essay; full points, 100. I could have cried when I saw it! lol I spent the last 4+ weeks working to develop a great argument for my paper but I knew there would be mistakes, and I haven't written a paper like this in decades. I'm so appreciative of this amazing professor who gave helpful feedback/input while still giving me full points for all the hard work and including so many viewpoints with supporting evidence on my thesis topic. She is the best teacher I've ever had for constructive criticism.

I wrote about the need to mandate age-appropriate K-12 comprehensive sex ed in Illinois, and there is legislation in the state house currently to do that. With the massive amount of evidence out there to support that CSE reduces risk behavior in kids and protects them from predators, I'm actually shocked that this hasn't been a done deal for years. But, that's the influence of tradition and religion in the U.S., I think. Nothing wrong with tradition or religion but facts still need to be taught, especially when they can have major impact on kids and help protect them from lifelong mental/physical health problems linked to abuse.

I'm just happy. I've been so stressed. This professor's encouragement just means the world to me right now.

Great teachers change lives, I'm convinced of that.
(8)

Gershun!
Thinking that I have been very careful, I personally have become lax about wiping purchases and deliveries down with disinfectant.

For the long duration, I am going to recommit to doing this, even if my dH ridicules me, mocks me, rolls his eyes, and gets frustrated.

The pandemic is not over, and the virus has 'mutated'. New word is "VARIANT". Gee, does that make it sound less scary or something? (sarcasm).
(5)

I'm doing what I know to be safe like wearing a mask when I'm out and social distancing, wiping any purchases down with disinfectant wipes when I get home etc. but I still think sometimes that it's inevitable that eventually I'll get covid even being as careful as I am. Hopefully this is just paranoia on my part. 😒
(6)

Iv'e been petrified about getting Covid.I know I'd die if I got it But even if I lived after getting Covid.the damage it would leave behind,would be awful,Iv'e heard. I wish people would use their common sense and continue to mask and social distance and wash their hands and wipe everything down and show they care about others and themselves but where I live here in Missouri,alot of people THINK the Pandemic is over and everything's back to normal.
SO.I stay home as much as I can,away from others.
Next week,I get my second vaccine and while I'm worried it will make me sick
I know it's the right thing to do for myself because of my own health and because I love my Uncle so much and want to be safe around him.
(9)

cw - Yes, I think that is human nature. Of course, we can make better decisions, but t seems that many aren't. Consistently our premier has spoken to the people to make those better decisions, and it hasn't worked. I don't know what it would take for him to change his mind about lockdown. I've locked myself down essentially. Covid doesn't scare me that much or even dying from covid. It's the risk of long covid added to CFS and FM which makes me choose to be so careful. My quality of life, which is compromised anyway, would be seriously decreased.

need - although it is never great having a LO on hospice I am so glad that your mother is getting good and appropriate care at this time and that you are able to visit with her. Take care of you. It's a stressful time.

gershun - I think as long as a good majority of the population gets vaccinated, those combined with the people who get immunity by coming down with covid, will cause the pandemic to subside (we will have achieved herd immunity). I don't know that this virus will be eradicated, but it will be manageable by vaccination, and the better treatments that are being developed.

Margaret - not so sure it has been luck for your country so much as good management. I dearly wish that our returning travelers had been required to be quarantined. Leaving it up to the individual's sense of responsibility hasn't worked here,
(7)

I’m almost ashamed to say that in my state of South Australia we have had a total lockdown of three weeks, last March 2020. That’s it. We’ve had just one local death from community transmission, from a group of tourists from a cruise ship in last March 2020. All other cases have been from returned travellers in quarantine, plus a smattering of workers who caught it from them and were immediately quarantined.

The rules now include limited numbers in shops and restaurants, a checkin ap or sign in when you go into a shop, and in theory at least a 1.5 metre gap in queues. Because we all know there is no local transmission, we get a bit slack, but as soon as there’s a sniff of a case, we all do everything right. The main impact (after toilet paper dramas) has been closed borders, no international travel, and no indoor entertainment performances.

The eastern states have had more problems, but they’ve almost all come from returned travellers, plus some loonies who want the ‘right to infect’ (no-one seems so keen on the right to die).

Our PM is not eveyone’s favorite, but when it all started he handed over all the public statements to the chief medicos and the police, and everything was enforced with fines and arrests. We haven’t enjoyed it, but we have been so so lucky here.
(9)

Yeah, as soon as we opened up it was like "If I can go to the gym and eat in a restaurant then I can have 20 of my BFF's over for a party too, right?
or "The kids are in school so there's no reason not to have a sleepover for our birthday party, right?
or "The old people have mostly been vaccinated so we can go back to normal".
🤨😖
(7)

Covid cases are rising here in B. C. Certain people just don't seem to get it. Restaurants were told no more indoor dining for three weeks but I saw on our news last night that one idiot refused to shut down. He said if people are willing to take the risk and dine there it was up to them. He seems to forget that it's not just their own health they might be putting at risk.

As long as there continue to be idiots like that who defy the rules I wonder if there ever will be a light at the end of this long covid tunnel.
(7)

I slept really well last night. I was so tired. Made hot tea after seeing mom in hospice and went to bed.

Think I’m going to stay home today and will go back over the weekend.

Pretty day here. Have been enjoying sitting outside watching the squirrels scampering about.

I like the squirrels. My neighbor hates them because they eat his bird food. He is a bird lover who builds beautiful bird houses.

So now his new strategy is placing sheet metal around his trees in his backyard so the squirrels can’t get to his bird houses.

He has a couple of bat houses too!
(4)

Golden - our premier said no lockdown too, then he turned around and changed his mind when it became an issue of the B117 variant hitting younger people and straining ICU capacity. Do you remember that story about the man sharing his tent with a camel - he allowed the nose, then the camel pushed in inch by inch until it took over the whole tent? That's what I see happening when I look around, seems like as soon as we loosen any restrictions people always try to take it a step or two farther. 🤔
(2)

chris -so glad your case rates etc. have fallen Here we are posed on the edge of a 3rd wave of significant exponential growth and the premier is saying no lockdown. I haven't seen rates of infection published - they publish numbers which do not give us any sense of comparison with other provinces or countries., but do let us know if we are doing better or worse than our past. Our rate of vaccination is very low - about 13% for one dose and a few percent for two doses. Hopefully it will be shown in the UK that the vaccine is effective. My understanding is that covid is not seasonal i nthe way that flu is.

Sorry about your expected cold weather. We are looking at temperatures above freezing for the foreseeable future. That should melt the snow and ice still on my lawns! Here's to a good Easter weekend for all!
(4)

So sad, Llama. Sending my thoughts and prayers.
(2)

Llama, I am really saddened to read of your loss. You are in my thoughts
(2)

Golden, good that you’ve had your second jab, but I agree the variants are worrying. Where are you, and what are the virus case rates like where you are? In the UK our vaccination drive is going great guns, with around half of our population having now had at least one jab. Our case rates, hospitalisations and deaths have fallen dramatically but we’ve also been in strict lockdown for 3 months, so it’s hard to know how much of an effect the vaccines have had, separate to the lockdown. As our restrictions are slowly starting to be eased, it worries me that this will lead to a rise in cases again. If it doesn’t, then I guess it will be due to a combination of the vaccines and the warmer weather/coming out of the flu season. Spring has definitely sprung here too, but generally if we have an early Easter, the weather is terrible. Sure enough, we are expecting freezing temperatures, arctic winds and even snow in some areas this weekend! That won’t stop us enjoying our Easter eggs though!
(2)

Got my second shot. Now to wait for the antibodies...

The latest from our provincial chief medical officer of health is that, with the variants here, even outside is not a safe as it was. In the battle between vaccination and variants, the variants are winning.

I will continue to mask and distance where ever I am, but it was nice being out for a little walk yesterday. I think finally spring has made it here. 🌼🌻🌾🌱
(6)

Llama, that is tragic, and such a shock for the family. So sorry to hear of this.
(1)

Llama, what an awful shock. So sad.
(1)

LLama, so sorry for your loss. 💝
(1)

Need: Thank you so much.
(0)

Polar: Thank you. This was a shock and yes, far too young.
(1)

Elaine: Thank you so much. His momma, who is my first cousin, is in a state of shock.
(0)

Pam: Thank you very much. No more news as of yet for cause of death.
(1)

Ali, formatting is Word is a PITA! There must be a trick to it that most of us don't understand. Drives me crazy! Got your work done and through living with an addict? I cannot imagine how tough that must have been. It is hard enough to focus when alone.

There are numerous youtube videos on formatting, I might have to check into some as I need to make revisions to a 300 page document. Struggled with it last time, would like to get it right this time.😦
(1)

I’m so sorry Llama, that is so young!!
(1)

Llama, he was too young to die. So sorry. I bet his spouse is shocked and heart broken.

Of all the ways we could go, his was the best way. Only too early.
(2)

So very sorry, Llama. How awful.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter