Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Mmm. I'd look quite critically at what those workers actually get paid. For comparison, just today a five year long court case was decided in the [UK] supreme court - decision is that workers doing overnight stays with people who need 24/7 care should not be paid for hours when they are sleeping and not working. The point being that although they are on call, i.e. on duty, they are not routinely expected to have to do anything. Although they may be, at a moment's notice.

So you arrive for your shift at, I guess, 18:00 hours and you don't leave until, I guess, 19:00 hours the next day, and for 9 of those hours during which you are not working but also not free to leave the building or engage in any other paid activity you receive £/$ 0 per hour.

I can't offhand think of any other job where you can be on duty, unpaid.
(3)

Right on, cwillie.
(1)

I've been shouting at the radio again (lol).
I don't know what the conversation is surrounding long term care (nursing homes) in other places but I'm sick and tired of constantly being told that the disaster that resulted from covid is due to for profit homes and poorly paid part time staffing - most especially the last part. These jobs are "not" comparable to flipping burgers, I know that wages have not kept up with inflation but $20/hr is still well above minimum wage. And many of these workers like working part time and at more than one facility because it gives them maximum flexibility for child care and to switch between jobs, it's just not as black and white as the "experts" and media want it to be.
(5)

Hubs and I spent a month in Ireland Pam. It was a work trip for hubs but since I'm half Irish on my mom's side I couldn't not go. It was a blast. We went to the little village where my mom was born and all sorts of things. Hubs fell in love with Guinness. Me not so much. To me it kind of resembled motor oil. LOL
(6)

My mom took me to Ireland for the first time when I graduated from respiratory school in my 30s, and I fell in love! We went back many times, along with my Aunt and various family members ( daughters and husbands), and hubs, DD and I hope to go back again once things open up more, or back to Scotland. We of course had corned beef and all yesterday.. and will be eating for a day or so more!
(4)

Hello Anche, I will certainly give your regards to my mom, thank you.
My grandmother was from Cootehill I Ireland. We visited the town when we went on our trip. Took a taxi on a very rainy day and saw my grandmothers childhood home. We confirmed it with a genealogist prior to traveling there. My mother was so thrilled. We spent a great deal of time in Cork on tour and loved it. I heard all my life about Cork so I was excited to visit that part of Ireland. The Irish folks were so kind. Ireland will always have a very special place in my heart for I shared a very special journey with my dear mother that I will never forget.
(1)

Earlybird, your mum is fantastic! Give my regards to her... Were we in the same country I would ask her to teach me dance!
I took some classes when I was in Cork. Loved it!
Where is she from?
(2)

EB: That's great about your mom! How sweet is she!💚
(3)

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to one and all. I have my new irish socks on today. :)
(9)

HAPPY ST Patricks' DAY.

Dinner
Corn Beef and Cabbage, potatoes, carrots and turnip, dinner roll all from a local restaurant (take out)
I made fresh baked haddock, potatoes, carrots.
Dessert
Irish Cream Cheesecake from Costco's

Before the pandemic my family used to celebrate SPD with lunch and an Irish concert. Miss it, but had a good day, mom is pure Irish she danced to the Irish music today and worn her green suit and her shamrock earrings. I love celebrating with her.
We took my mother to Ireland for her 87TH birthday 2010. She always wanted to travel there. Could not get her out of the pub at MN one night. We were on tour and bus leaves very early in the morning. I went to bed and brother stayed up with her. She just loved the Irish jigs and music.
When Irish Eyes are Smiling....
(7)

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! ☘🍀💚 🇮🇪
(6)

Beatty,

I have Scottish roots too.
(1)

Happy St Pat's Day from a former Irish person ☘️☘️☘️

Sadly my 4% Irish DNA was reclassified last year.. but hello lower Scotland! I will be researching that now.
(6)

Anche,

Lucky you! I haven’t ever been to Ireland.
(2)

Needhelp, I somehow feel partly Irish... I attended there my last university year in the Erasmus program. I was in Cork, one of the best years of my whole life!
So happy Saint Patrick's day to you, your family and all the Irish people... And to those who left a piece of their heart there.
(5)

Happy St. Patrick’s day ☘️ to everyone! I’m Irish on my father’s side.

Of course, our parades are canceled but some people are doing Irish house floats like we did at Mardi Gras time with our house floats.

We love our parades in New Orleans!

Spring is around the corner. Our weather is warming up, not that we have a very cold or long winter like up north.

It’s kind of a funky day here. Supposed to be nice over the weekend.

Overall, we get a fair amount of rainfall in Louisiana.
(3)

Ali,

I have just one thing to express to you. YOU, GO GIRL!

You should be so proud of your accomplishments!

That Korean spa sounds awesome.
(2)

Ali: Congratulations! I used to work with a guy who programmed (though not his job title - just did it in his free time). Even though it wasn't in my job performance requirements, I kind of mirrored him to try to pick up that skill set. I did understand that's not totally what you were mentioning.
(2)

I had an ex bf that loved the steam box thing they lock you in with only your head sticking out the top. We used to go to a couple of hot springs places near Palm Springs. I think the steam box was at Twentynine Palms but not sure, been years ago. One year we went back and they had gotten rid of the steam box, maybe it wasn't that popular.
(1)

There's a local Korean spa/sauna place about 20 minutes north of Chicago called King Spa. They have a couple national locations, I think, in New Jersey and Dallas, too. It's a huge place with all these different dry saunas (ochre, gold, amethyst, infrared, oxygen)and on the women's spa side, they have 15 or so plastic rubber tables lined up where the women get scrubs and massages. They use a lot of accupressure techniques. I really think the staff there believe that if they don't hurt you, it's not sufficient massage therapy. lol It might hurt at the time but after a day, I feel much better from all the muscles getting loosened up.
(3)

Another school week complete. This was the toughest so far, with three major papers/assignments due, 1 in each class. I saw it coming and took off as much time from work as I could. The past 4-5 days were nothing but school work grind for at least 8 hours a day. I could shave off some of the time it takes to do these projects by learning more tricks and tips for formatting in Word and PowerPoint, and not having to struggle to get everything to fit where it's supposed to and have the right bullet points, etc. I can't apply bullets to a list without the app messing it up and putting one or more off the margin and out of whack. I managed to insert chart graphics today for an assignment. Woo hoo! I cannot do a hanging indentation in Word to save my life and it's a required formatting for APA references, which I'm doing a lot of these days. I've watched several videos on it and read tips. It's just not working. I'm going to call my school tech support this week and see if they have any ideas. Maybe something in the tab settings is screwy. I feel like half the time I spend on my assignments is research and composing, then the other half the time is wrangling the format endlessly until it's acceptable. lol Makes me long for the old word processor machines that would let you stick stuff where you wanted it.

Four more weeks then done with this term. It's cooking along. Looks like I'll retain a spot on the Chancellor's List. Didn't know that was a thing, a step above Dean's List, I guess. Makes me feel smart. lol

The zolpidem sleep aids are helping me stay more level through the stress, since I get better sleep. It's always easier to tackle big work tasks with a fresh and rested brain.
(7)

Pam,

That sounds like a nice place for a girl’s getaway!
(1)

Pam,

I don’t like a sauna. I like a steam room.
(1)

Need.. we have a town near us called Berkeley Springs WV that sounds alot like that. I go there once or twice a year with my DD or a friend, and we spend the night on a girls trip. They have several spas, and the water is supposed to be healing. That is where I once had a hot stone massage.. it was very relaxing. They have a "roman bath" where you are in a private room with a huge bath, 2 or 3 can be in it at once, and I love it. you can swim in it... BUT the last few times I got so red in the face.. I guess too hot for too long? So now I stick to the "bath" at the spas that is sort of like a whirlpool,, it holds one or two and I dont get all red in the face! I can not do a sauna !
(3)

Thanks, Llama.
(1)

Need: Thanks. I hope you never get a migraine. Praying for your daughter to feel better.
(1)

Chris: Hope that you feel better.
(1)

Pam,

My daughter has a pinched nerve in her neck and her doctor told her to get a massage therapist that specializes in treatment for athletes.

I will tell you where I was on vacation. It was Hot Springs, Arkansas, when the bath houses were in vogue to visit. I think they all closed years later.

The way it was done though was, you soaked in the hot spring baths, the attendant gave you a shot of it to drink. Supposedly, the hot spring water had healing benefits to bathe in and drinking it too. Didn’t taste great but I did it.

Then you go into a steam box that was locked from the outside. I almost fainted and couldn’t get out until she unlocked it. I panicked a bit when she walked off. If she had returned a moment later I would have fainted.

Then a needle shower, which I loved and my husband hated. I should say there was a man’s side and a woman’s side. Men and women weren’t together! Hahaha 🤣

After the needle shower, a soothing massage where I fell asleep afterwards. They allowed a person to sleep until they woke up. My husband didn’t know what took me so long to meet him. He did not fall asleep.

This was way back in the 80’s.
(2)

Need yes I do get massages.. and I love them. But like you I am not really sure what all the differences are, except "hot stone" ! when I go in the gal askes what is bothering me and what do I need worked on, and off she goes! I get a full body, but she varies the depth and pressure based on what I tell her. If the pressure is too much she adjusts it for my comfort. The first time I went she told me I was tighter than some of the local pro athletes she does,, I told her my mother lived with me and she was rolling on the floor!
(2)

there must be a conspiracy going on causing doors to connect with faces 🤕🤪
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter