Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Just finished another day of cleaning out stuff. From the looks of the old clothes I’m in the 1920-30’s. Found 5 front rocking chairs. They need to be painted. More stuff to the curb and town dump. I may be finished by Saturday afternoon.
Grandson is so easy to keep. He naps most of afternoon. Diaper change when he gets up. Happy boy.
(3)

Gershun, tell DH that too much of a good thing is just that, TOO MUCH!
(4)

My mother’s house had a huge attic. You could stand up and walk around in it.

Luckylu, I thought my mom was the only one in the world who said John when she meant bathroom, lol.
(3)

When my Grandfather retired, Grandma asked him to fix the garden. The shed, the garage. Then to help out down at the church. He wanted to help but soon realised he was 'underfoot' if inside the house, HER house, so found a parttime job which they both enjoyed 😁

I've told my DH when he retires I expect him to go join something - the old Euro men sitting around in cafes, a men's shed, golf, anything!
(3)

Men are different. My husband and I have married for 35 years. He stays REALLY close by. He sits at the counter while I cook. Our bathroom adjoins our bedroom. When I take a shower he sits on the bed. I asked him why. He says he’s afraid I’ll fall. He started this years ago when I was pregnant. Not sure why now. Maybe I seem feeble at 65. I don’t pay any attention now.
(4)

Some stranger than other Lucky.
(5)

Gershun....My husband spies on me.
And sneaks to the kitchen for sweets when I go to the john.
It's weird~There's no reason to.
I could care less.
Men are just strange ~
(7)

Gershun,

I can understand how you would have words about it.

My dad did that to my mom after he retired. I think he was bored. Mom would send him to the store. LOL
(4)

No NHWM it's not. We've had words about it often.
(1)

Lucky,

Geeeeeez! Just think if you had to pack to move. Less is really more as we age.
(4)

Gershun,

Sounds like it is too much togetherness!

My husband and I have always had some of the same interests and some individual interests.

Is this a new thing for him to do, following you around?
(3)

Llama,

Exactly, slippers can’t be safe.

Golden,

I can picture my daughter going to unlatch the gate in flip flops!

I hope that she never breaks anything.

She wiped out her knee in high school.

My kids were very active growing up, dance, gymnastics, volleyball, working out at our health club, jogging, kayaking, etc.
(1)

I'm always worried the ceiling will cave in from all the stuff up in the attic.
Mother kept everything,including her parents belongings and all of my brother's and my stuff ,along with her and Dad's stuff,so there's 3 generations of stuff up there to go through some day.
It really overwhelms me to even think about it~
(4)

Am I the only one on here who has a spouse who follows them around and seems to feel that I'm being mean just cause I need my alone time?

I seriously don't know what to do. I've tried to explain that it's not normal (in my opinion) for husbands and wives to spend every waking moment together. He says "I guess that's just how you are" like I'm in the wrong.

Anyone else out there going through this?
(3)

I do agree that winter clothing and boots are a PITA. One of the nice tings about warmer weather is no extra clothing is needed.

I have gone out in the snow in my flip flops to put the garbage etc in the bins. But I am very careful on the front stoop. I have only 2 steps and put runners on them to make them safe. Yes, your feet get wet and cold but not for long.

Years and years ago mother slipped on our front steps and hit her tailbone and cracked it. There was nothing they could do for her. She had pain for months until it healed. Best be very careful!
(5)

Need: Oh, I hope that your daughter is okay. No more slippers for icy conditions.
(2)

Need: Thanks. The facility certainly appreciated the stuffed animals. The place is for families who have had a rough go of it. Then even take food and clothing. Your girls must have been so cute taking their stuffed animals everywhere.
(4)

I have no basement. House is way too old, plus we’re close to the river and it’s too damp. My attic is big and easy to access - which also makes it easy to put stuff up there and forget.
(2)

Ah yes, almost everyone here has a basement, and pretty much anything built in the 50's and beyond has the basement finished into living space.

Attics here were common in old houses but have either been converted into living space if they are large enough or sealed off and filled with insulation.
(2)

Willie,

Attic, yes but we don’t have basements here.

I rented a converted attic when I was single.

It was actually pretty roomy and nice.

I didn’t need a lot of space. Just my kitty shared the space with me.

I didn’t even own a car then. I walked, rode my bike or took public transportation. Ahhhh...simpler times.

Do you have a basement?
(1)

I'm amazed that so many of you have attics that can be used as storage space, that's a feature than has pretty much disappeared around here - my parent's house had one because it had never been updated.
(1)

One of my sons actually showed up to get some of his stuff. Glad he did.
(1)

Pam,

I have no idea if we will have any grandchildren.

I haven’t even thought about what to do with our things in the attic.

I adore the doll house that my in laws made for my daughter.

Doll houses are so beautiful, aren’t they?

The miniature furniture is really pretty too.

My kids kept silly little things. Most of it is in the attic but the other day I was looking in the pantry for something and I came across all of their pez candy dispensers!
(3)

I’ve been cleaning out day all day. Bag after bag of pure junk. I found the weekly newspaper from the week the Civil War started. And speculation that my maternal great-great-great grandparents would move back south. They never did. Donated a ton of clothes to the historical society. I kept a couple of very pretty ball gowns. Maybe I’ll have a dance upstairs in the ballroom. Only thing it’s been used for in my life is roller skating. We’re not “ball” type people. I”be let people use it for events. I have 23 big black bags curbside.
(3)

Pam I have to say your plan is wonderful! Can’t see anyone judging you except maybe your niece if she finds out but honestly, she (and her DD) aren’t any more entitled to the dollhouse & dolls than anyone else is! Your husband made it for his daughter, if it’s going to be passed down to her daughters best friend, I think that’s wonderful! You have more of a relationship with that child anyway.
(3)

Hubs is redoing floors in our house, and I am cleaning out. He made a wonderful doll house for DD when she was young.. as it looks like we wont be having grands I asked if her bestie would like it for her daughter.. she is thrilled, and we feel like it will still be in the family. Yes I could see if my grand niece would like it,, but my actual niece has only gifted us with her daughters presence 2x since her birth.. LOL. And she is 5.. they live a whole 20 minutes away.. The besties daughter has been a delight since her birth 3 years ago.. bestie is one of our 2 "bonus daughters" and we are friends with the parents.. I am also giving her all my DDs dolls, A huge box of beanie babies will be going to my bestie for her grand daughter. Judge me if you will,, but hubs and I are happy with our plan!
(4)

Send,

Remember the very first crocs? They were clogs. Now they have all sorts of styles in crocs.

Oh my gosh, I just looked up the history of Crocs. The first pair was in Boulder, CO.

My daughter is in Denver.
(1)

NHWM,
Crocs makes boots, all weather!
WOMEN'S BOOTS
Comfortable and stylish boots for women.
From cute rain boots to winter boots and booties, this is where fashion and function collide.
Lol.
I didn't know that.
(2)

Cwille,

Do crocs prevent slipping? I know that you got wet but you didn’t slip.

LOL, forgive me ignorance! I really don’t know. I have never lived in a snowy area.

Your description is exactly how my daughter felt. She looked at putting on snow boots as a PITA!
(1)

I think all of us who live in snowy areas have tried a move like that NHWM, some days changing clothes and footwear to go out feels like a real PITA and it's tempting to push the limits.
(yes, my feet did get snowy and wet when I wore my crocs to take out the compost last week 🙄🤣)
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter