Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Actually that's quite interesting. I have a Samsung phone (not brand new) and now you mention it, it started to do something strange with my AgingCare messages about 6 weeks ago, so it's not just i phones nor new phones either. I switched off some predictive text thing which got rid of the problem.
(1)

Maybe it's because I am late to the smart phone universe but I routinely look online to figure out my phone's features. I'm not an i-phone user but it's simple enough to search the web for instructions on how to turn auto-correct off, or how to make sure the phone or tablet doesn't re-correct a word that you have already fixed.
(1)

Need, My new I Phone does the same thing.
(1)

Polar,

This is a NEW Apple iPhone! That’s why it’s so frustrating. Grrrrr.
(0)

NHWM - sounds like you really need a new phone. This one just auto-corrects too many times.
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom: You're so right! I just heard about an older woman in my county (not me - LOL) who was almost scammed via the phone to have someone come to her home for vaccination. Scam. She did not fall for it.
(2)

Goodnight all! Chat later.
(1)

worriedinca: So sorry to read that your cat has diabetes. Our fur babies are so precious to us. Presently we don't have any, but we did. Cleocatra got lung cancer and Ozzie had a stroke. Thank goodness that your Frankie is going to be okay!
(2)

Cali,

I swear that I typed CAT having diabetes! Not CAN!

I proofread. My phone is hexed!
(2)

Cali,

So much of COVID is a mystery at this point in time.

Somewhere down the road I believe we will know a whole lot more.

Sorry to hear that your can has diabetes. Hopefully you can manage it.

Our fur babies are so special to us.

Hoping for the best regarding your mom and dad’s health. It’s so hard watching parents decline.
(3)

worriedinca: You're very welcome. It's so true about taking on too much. I wish you all the best.
♥️
(1)

I just got off the phone with the vet. We have a diagnosis! And a plan!! Last night I had a hunch. And I did some researched on it and diagnosed Frankie with diabetes. The vet this morning, she IMHO was trying to up-sell me on pain killers and joint supplements. I am not a vet but I know my pets. And I really did not believe Frankie was in pain. There was nothing to suggest he was in pain and he had every symptom of diabetes! But the vet thought he was in pain!!! Well $300 worth of blood work and $50 office visit later, I can say I was right!! Poor cat has diabetes!!! He has very high blood sugar. I am going to get him started on a high protein low carb diet immediately and when I am back in California, we will discuss insulin and how to administer the shots. But for now we will try to manage it by changing his diet. Also turns out ketosis is deadly to cats. Humans love it because they lose a lot of weight. But it’s not good for cats. All I can think now is “praise God. Hallelujah”. I can go take care of my mom and give her my all without being stressed and worried about Frankie! I am so thankful that this is manageable and he’s going to be ok!!!
(7)

Thanks Lllama—I needed to hear that!! It is true, we often take on too much. I am very guilty of that!

Needhelp, I hope N.O can get COVID under control. I find myself increasingly frustrated at the experts and politicians. Nearly a year in to this and it seems like they all try the same thing over and over even though it doesn’t work. I don’t know the solution myself but it seems like we need a whole different approach. I don’t know about Louisiana but in CA we know that a good majority of our cases are coming from within households! But nothing is being done to address it. Instead they continue to keep everything shut down (and I am not saying they should open everything up, I am saying that everything shut down isn’t slowing the spread so maybe we need a different approach?)
(3)

Llama,

It’s so sad that there are so many conspiracy theories on the vaccines. Some statements presented as facts are outright lies!

Even more sad that people are still not taking COVID-19 seriously.

How many more people have to die before they stop their nonsense?

I was glad to hear our mayor say that she would rather be criticized for doing too much, rather than being criticized for doing too little.
(4)

Need: So sorry to hear of the deaths. Our Governor recently held a news conference. We are Mask Up Maryland as are all states.
(3)

EB: You're very welcome. Glad to be of help.
(2)

Our mayor just spoke on television.

We are averaging two deaths a day. More hospitalizations too.

We have identified UK strains here which are more contagious.

Our state started off with vaccines for 70 and above.

They are going to start vaccinating on ages 65 and up soon.

The mayor was extremely opposed to our college students partying on Bourbon St. last weekend and NOT wearing masks!

She has said this is unacceptable behavior and will NOT be tolerated this weekend or next.

NO BARS, inside or outside will be open because every time people behave in selfish ways, like partying in the streets, there is a SURGE in COVID-19 with DEATHS occurring DAILY!!!

So, this will NOT be a repeat of Mardi Gras last year where we became a hot spot for COVID-19 shortly afterwards.

As the mayor said, we can have a safe and happy Mardi Gras. People still have our Mardi Gras spirit! We have our king cakes floating around. We have our houses decorated as floats in lieu of traditional parades and so on.

We shall see how this plays out.

The mayor invited a doctor to speak at this press conference.

The doctor’s final words were very poignant. She said, “Remember, you have to be alive to receive a vaccine. Please wear your masks and social distance.”

It is not easy for health care workers to see death on daily basis.
(4)

I contacted Aging Care team courtesy of Llama providing the number to contact them . Thank you Llama. The tech people will check into why misspelled words, typed messages disappearing and so on. Hope this helps.
(3)

Glad,

Terribly sad.
(2)

Or an undiagnosed UTI causing delusions?
(3)

News, cause was resident's belief that staff had taken $200 from his wallet. Beginning of dementia? Paranoia and accusations.

Occasionally on this site we read about elderly with cognitive problems having guns. If that is the case, the guns need to be removed from the residence. These things can happen.
(3)

Glad: That was sad.
(1)

Need: Yay for no side effects on day #2. That's great.

Sweet dreams - just saw your post that you were going to sleep.♥️
(5)

Going to bed. Goodnight all! Sweet dreams to everyone.
(4)

Worried: Big virtual hugs tonight. I realize that at 74, I try to take on too much. We've got to give ourselves a break.
(3)

Need: You're right about our parents not being fulltime caregivers. My mother never provided care for her mother - she was caring for her own family. My grandfather cared for himself.
(2)

Day 2, y’all and no side effects of my first COVID vaccine so far. Yay!
(10)

Cali,

No one ever does everything perfectly all of the time.

Please don’t expect perfection from yourself, or from anyone else for that matter.

Everyone deserves support and encouragement.

Very often, a person can’t even imagine what caregiving is like until they do it themselves.

I had absolutely no clue how hard it was until I did it first hand.

Neither of my parents were full time caregivers, so I had no frame of reference to follow.

I did not know about this forum until I was deeply into caregiving. A social worker informed me of this site.

What works for others may or may not work for you.

You will grow from your own life experiences.

There is no one size fits all in caregiving. You will have to customize your own plan.

Listen to others but don’t allow anyone to dictate your individual path.

Collect information and determine what is feasible and best suited for your family’s needs.
(3)

Your right Polarbear. I should have left out the first line of my post. I apologize, my bad!!
(3)

Thank you all!! I really can’t put in to words how much all of your have helped me, just by sharing your own experiences as caregivers. When my mom got the bad news, I immediately started planning things out in my head. I figured with 2 parents going through cancer treatments, I would need to go up to their house every 2 weeks or every other week! If it wasn’t for this forum and all of the people who are brave enough to tell their story, I would have been one of the ones who, like I think “nobodygetsit” described on Lealonnies post about nursing home bashing, one of the ones who starts out doing little things here and there and then ends up doing it ALL because the parents became too dependent!! Because of this forum, I know what signs to look for and what not to do! I WANT to help my parents but I don’t want to fall in to the black hole of despair, where I’ve pushed my husband and children to the side and my life now centers around making sure my parents ever want and need to taken care of it!! And I don’t want to be caught between my parents & my husband and children. So yeah this forum is a very very valuable place. I hope you all realize how amazing you are and how you are helping random internet strangers! I bet there are a lot of lurkers who benefit from your experiences and knowledge.

The Kitty is doing ok today. He’s not in an obvious decline which is good so I am praying we get good news at the vet tomorrow.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter