Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
My husband and I planned retirement last year. Never traveled anywhere in 2020. Tomorrow’s the day. Headed south tomorrow morning. Now it’s off to do laundry and clean out the refrigerator.
(5)

xray - that is a huge relief. I'm glad for you and your aunt.
(1)

After several hours this week of calling different offices, I finally got a call today that my Aunts Kaiser insurance has been reinstated!!!

Such a huge relief!!
(8)

I went to the bank today with death certificates. Got cashier check for my brother. Dad’s taxes are at his accountants office. Everything was transfer on death or I was the co-owner. So everything is done. Depressing and sad. Mom and dad both gone in less than a year.
(6)

Beatty: Thank you for the Roman numerals. Quite clever you are!
(2)

I decided to take today off, and just do something normal all day. Can't see the point of making the last (known) phone call until I get the death certs.. and Mom back in the next few days. So we went to the nearby outlets to get some more air freshners from Bath and Body works, and I scored a pair of jeans at Old Navy. Got some bread from the Pepperidge Farm outlet. The outlet is losing stores at a rapid clip.. COVID is really hurting our area in the retail and restaurant department. It is so much easier to go the outlets than into town, less traffic and better parking. We stopped by the neighborhood where DD is selling homes, her model is beautiful! She is coming over tonight after work for dinner.. it felt good to just be "normal" for a day.
(8)

Pam, I just saw you lost your Mother. I am so sorry. I wish you strength & comfort for the coming hard days. (((Hugs)))
(5)

Llama,
You can write in Roman numerals LXXIV or Binary
10010102 if you prefer 😉
(4)

Pam, offering my condolences too.

I wish you peace and comfort during this hard time. 💝
(6)

Yesterday, January 13 was another trip around the sun for me. Ugh - the big 74.😰
(6)

Pam: Oh, I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. Deepest condolences.♥️
(5)

(((((((Pam)))))) So sorry. I can imagine it feels overwhelming right now. Dealing with the paperwork and administrivia can be a nightmare. Glad your hub is supportive. You guys have been through and are going through a lot in a short while. I know you will miss your mum as you were close to her. I saw somewhere you had posted that you had lost 25 lbs since the pandemic started. I hope that wasn't too much and that you are staying healthy. Take care of yourself!!!! Hope you stay on the forum.
(5)

My DIL had to go into work for an appointment. She was gone for 3 hrs. My husband and I were the babysitters. The baby was good, but we are out of practice. My a husband put his diaper on backwards.
(8)

Pam,

(((Hugs)))
(3)

Golden Mom passed on the 8th, and I am doing better each day,, but sometimes I feel like I need an ativan! Only a few more calls, they can be done in the next few weeks according to our investment guy ( we met with him today and things are moving along nicely as my name was on all the accounts but one, and I should be listed as the beneficiary on that one,, he will help if I run into any issues) Just telling you all to get your affairs in order to save your kids any problems,, thank God Mom and Dad had it all done as best they could. And Mom only had one CC for her meds.. so I will cancel that in Feb as everything should have cleared by then. Oh and my poor hubs.. my temper is about 1 inch long at this point... everything is setting me off. Thank God he is pretty chill, and he just lost his Dad a few months ago and he and his brother are dealing with a hot mess...
(6)

Pam, I understand the difficulties you face when having to contact various organisations to notify them of a LO’s death. When my stepfather died, I did a lot of this for my mother. On the whole I found the people I dealt with to be respectful and sympathetic, especially those that had a dedicated bereavement department, who were sensitive and had a simple process to go through, to avoid unnecessary additional upset for the family. However, I got so cross and annoyed with those people and organisations who seemed to have no understanding that the people contacting them were very fragile and under immense strain. To these people you are just a reference number. I wrote a letter of complaint to one such company, and to be fair they were appalled that their own people had behaved in this way. They promised a review and changes to the way they dealt with bereaved families, and sent my mother a huge bouquet of flowers by way of an apology. Pam, all you can do is keep working through that list of people you need to contact. Try and focus on what you’ve managed to achieve each day rather than what you still have to do. And be kind to yourself.
(4)

Pam, when did your mum pass? My sympathies to you and yours for your loss. She is at peace now. Prayers for all and strength for the coming days. ((((hugs))))
(4)

Xray.. I get the phone issue. Been on the phone all day monday dealing with Moms affairs, cancelling retirements, insurance, dealing with CCs,, you name it. every call is like starting the grief over, and some are so dang stupid. I was on hold with her one drs office for 20 minutes! Trying to let them all know she passed. And more today
(6)

Jodi,

It is quite annoying to spend the day on the phone correcting their mistakes!

Hopefully, it will be settled soon. Your aunt is truly blessed to have you.

I admire your kindness and commitment to her. I know that it is a sacrifice for you.
(1)

NHWM,

I quit making resolutions years ago! I think disappointing yourself is the worst! Lol

Lets face it, life throws us curve balls constantly.

Update: I spent 2 hours on the phone with Kaiser today about my Aunts insurance.

Finally spoke with someone who could see that it was in fact their error.

I should hear back later this week about whether or not they will reinstate her coverage.
(2)

Just heard that typically today is the day that New Year’s resolutions fly out of the window! 😂

Do you make resolutions? What do you think of these ‘vision boards’ that people are doing?

I journal but I haven’t done a vision board.

Has your resolution ended up going by the wayside?
(1)

Good for the hospital staff!!! Travelling CEO doesn't deserve a cent!
(2)

I am very pleased the CEO of our regional hospital was fired today for having made 5 trips to visit family in the US during the pandemic, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing all these stories about the double standard that the upper echelons seem to feel is their due. When the story first broke the hospital board seemed as blasé as he was, it wasn't until hospital staff (who he had publicly admonished as needing to hold themselves to a higher standard) started a petition that any action was taken. To add insult to injury there are reports this fat cat could still be owed his six figure salary while he sits on his entitled azz.
(8)

It may be possible still to change your Aunt's insurance, and it may be easier because Kaiser is hard to work with if you have a complaint.

You can ask if you could be insured today:
1-800-787-3311
Humana Gold Plus® Integrated (MMAI)
Call 1-800-787-3311 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Central time.

Help and Customer Support from Humana
www.humana.com ›

I am not an insurance expert, however, I did have Kaiser and cancelled after a year with them.
(2)

Jodi,
Sorry to hear this news. It is scary. Your post reminds me of an incident that happened to us many years ago.

The owner of the engineering firm that my husband worked at was embezzling from the company. He stole company profits and insurance money.

He was pocketing the money that employees were paying for their health insurance.

When my husband found out he walked into his office and told him, “You’re stealing from the company and you put my wife and children and I at risk. What if one of us were to get cancer and we couldn’t afford to treat it? What you have done is inexcusable!”

My husband and I were horrified at the thought of us not being insured. All because of his ‘greedy’ boss!

Keep following up on this situation. Hopefully, you will be able to correct it soon.
(1)

Jodi,
Their mistake.

Respond to this letter in writing to Kaiser:

"I recieved a letter from Kaiser stating that because her address is no longer in the coverage area (she is still in Ca and I am in Montana) they were going to cancel her insurance."

Include copies of her old card and Member number in your correspondence.
The MC will have a copy of her card on file.

Send a copy to Medicare.

Not sure, but new cards are issued yearly from October through December, as everyone gets re-enrolled.
(3)

Back in August, I received a message from my Aunts MC that they wanted an new Kaiser card for her.

I went online to order one and changed the mailing address to my address, because my Aunt has Alzheimer's and will throw it away.

I recieved a letter from Kaiser stating that because her address is no longer in the coverage area (she is still in Ca and I am in Montana) they were going to cancel her insurance.

I called Kaiser and explained the situation. "Ryan " told me he fixed the issue and everything was fine.

When I realized that her premium payment has not been deducted from her bank account, I called again. Only to find out that "Ryan" had not done what he was supposed to do and I had to re-enroll her for her insurance.

This could take up to 30 days and in the meantime I am scared to death that she has no insurance!!

I'm so overwhelmed!!
(4)

Our little conversation about virtual pap smears had me googling and lo and behold there already is such a thing, it's supposed to be just the ticket for women who are reluctant to put themselves through the doctors visit. The problem I see with that is as far as I can tell it's just a test for HPV. Yes, most cervical cancers are caused by HPV but not all HPV leads to cancer. And all this hype around HPV had me convinced that there is no need to have a pap smear if there is no possibility of HPV... I never knew that a pap test could find abnormal cells related to uterine cancers too.
(2)

Send,

Thanks so much for your prayers and warm wishes. Please don’t stop praying. Prayers are helping to hold me together right now.

He meets with his oncologist every Monday.

My husband doesn’t whine or complain. So when he says something it truly hurts.

He has never been ‘a little boy who cried wolf’ type, so I know it is serious if he has a gripe.
(2)

Alva,

That is such sad news. My cousin has overcome so much. I was hoping that the worst was behind him. I was devastated to hear that he had COVID.

I think this recent protesting has triggered memories of 9/11 for him. Most of the attention went to NY. People don’t think about D.C. as often because of the horror that occurred in NY.

He considers the protesters to be terrorists. He’s uneasy thinking about a reoccurring situation on Inauguration Day.

He says he hopes that it will be a peaceful transition.

Prior to living in D.C. he lived in Manhattan. He still has ties to NY and very good friends there. He was scheduled on that flight to NY. Thankfully he had a business conflict and canceled his flight.

So much for a ‘happy’ new year, right? Well, let’s truly hope that this was our rock bottom and that we can only go up from here.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter