Follow

I had to have a cardiac ablation procedure on Tuesday. As I had to lie flat on my back for 3 hrs. post procedure, and had 3 bags of IV fluids, I was dying to go to the bathroom. The nurse said "Well, we can put chux under you and let you go, but you can't get up". I said "Well, how about trying a PureWick system?" She was surprised that I knew what that was and said "Sure, we'll give it a go".

Ok, she set it all up (not hard, just cleaned the 'lady parts' and tucked a PureWick suction thingy in there and turned it on.) It was a nice breeze, but the device is pretty thick, and you are VERY aware it's there. I was Uncomfortable by this point and really trying to release urine, but you know, I think 66 years of 'we don't wet the bed' was super impressed in my head. I just...couldn't! There is a feeling of suction, which isn't annoying, but unless a person has almost zero sphincter control, it won't 'suck' the urine out of you. Not to be gross, I felt like I was trying an experiment.

I gave it an hour. Nothing. The Dr comes in to check me and says to the nurse "For pity sake, let her get up!" I was able to get into the bathroom and nothing has ever felt so relieving in my life!! I peed like a racehorse, to quote my DH.
I can see now how that system would work for a very few women. You have to be able to release your bladder sphincter and I just couldn't. You can't move around at all. You must lie flat on your back on your side, which I don't think would have helped.

The expense of this would make it a difficult choice for a lot of people. IDK, I wasn't impressed by it, except for the engineering idea. On paper, it seems great probably using Depends and extra pads work better.
The nurse said for the most part, she had not seen it to be effective. It's bulky and uncomfortable, so sleeping with it 'in'.... well, it was worth the research!

Now I'm regretting it b/c I'll have to pay for it!

But now you know from someone who gave it a manful try!
I just realized I have really lost my filter on this site. But now you know a person who has tried this and found it lacking. Plus, it's incredibly expensive, which makes it unreachable for most people.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Pamzi, I got a good laugh out of your unusual experience. I am sure it would have rattled me to the core.

Oh NO! My patient has internal holes!
(0)

Just a note here,, we tried these in the ICU for a bit,, I don;t see them now . One time I went in to suction a patient,, and everytime I suctioned her this gosh awful noise occured! And I noticed her suction cannister went crazy,, bubbling and loud! So I called her Rn and we tried it again,, and off it went. I can assure you that I was suctioning her LUNGS,, not her lady parts! We have no explanation for this, but the RN took that thing off dang fast!
(0)

My DIL uses PureWick every night and loves it. She had it in the hospital and decided to get it for home. Says it’s way better than getting up 4 or 5 times a night.
(1)

Thank you--I DO already feel relief from the ablation which I should have had done 25 years ago. Just something I learned to live with. Yuck.

I was really trying the Purewick out in the hopes, obviously, that it would be some miracle device--and maybe for someone who has little to no bladder control, it would be a good thing. I just wasn't impressed. It's much larger and thicker than expected and you'd have to have it 'in place' for about 12 hours--and the material that lines it can 'pull' and I can see how very quickly a UTI could set in. I wasn't allowed to roll over or even cross my ankles, so I was pretty uncomfortable---so I can't say if laying on my side would have helped. Hard to say, but I would say no.

And the expense. It's still not covered by insurance and I kind of see why--it's super expensive and I don't think all the bugs have been worked out of it, so to speak.

I'm still a little fuzzy from the anesthesia--it was 'concious sedation' but I really don't remember anything much. I was 'under' for almost 3 hrs, the ablation took a lot longer than planned, but hey, I got a nap.
(1)

You just answered what I thought about it, the bulky part is what I wondered about. And, I cannot sleep on my back at all.
(0)

I must say that was an intesting and insightful read! I hope you are feeling improvement already from the ablation. I've heard good things about them.
(0)

Thanks for the info, Midkid!

I’ve seen recent tv commercials about this system.

It’s amazing how happy, comfortable, and rested that the actors in the commercials look! 🤪

Just like with every other Elder Care ad out there, smiling, attractive people make it look like caregiving is just a BREEZE, which WE all know, can mostly be just the opposite! 😝

Hope you’re feeling better after your procedure. 😎
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter