Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
GaryinMesa, very sensible advice. My mother has some of these in place and that is just as well for me because she too is in denial about her general age related decline. But I see so many of my friends trying to set these things up when there is a crisis. By then, everything is urgent, but the legal process takes time - and longer than ever due to court delays because of covid. In my view it is better to deal with these things when everyone is fit and well, and the dicsussion is more palatable because it seems a hypothetical one. The same could be said of writing a Will. I do not want my son to be bereaved AND have to sort out the mess if there is no Will nor any provisions in place for his future. Some of my friends thought we were control freaks for having Wills when we were in our forties, but then one of them died suddenly due to an aggressive brain tumour. The rest suddenly saw first hand the difficulties facing her family, some of which could have been avoided if a Will had been in place.
(1)

This is excellent advice.
(1)

One thing the past year has shown me is that people are not very good at planning for the future or calculating risk, far too many of us can clearly see what the other guy is doing wrong without noticing our own mistakes and vulnerabilities. I do have a long term plan and I've got my legal ducks in a row.
One thing I'd like to add to your very good advice - while I can sort of understand why "springing" POAs are popular in families that are contentious or dysfunctional in my opinion they add a layer of difficulty at an already difficult time. My mom's POA and the one I have for myself was/is in force the moment it was signed and witnessed. Because of this I was able to gradually take over mom's financial affairs, from at first doing simple banking for convenience to arranging the sale of her home and property years later when that was necessary.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter