Follow

Update for those of you following my journey with 92 year old NPD mom....things seem to be falling into place..such a big relief.....At a much better place emotionally with mom..she has even apologized for her past abusive benaviors and has been much more agreeable...not sure if it is the dementia , but I welcome it ...I have also apologized for my part in our struggles...This brings me peace and ability to plan for her care from a rational and non judgemental place. She has been in rehab after her fall, and seems to be on the correct regime of meds to control her sundowning and mental health concerns. Unknown at this point what type of dementia she has..but it had such a quick onset. She is moving to Assisted Living where she has been living for 6 years on Feb 15. Not happy at first but on some level she seems to know that this is the safest place for her. I am hoping to get a neuropsych eval to shed some light on what the future holds and what can be expected. Her final diagnosis from hospital was post delerium with dementia , unspecified, with behavioral agitation .

Just wondering who has experienced this rapid escalation of confusion, with hallucinations and depression. Also will be getting her physically checked out due to low white blood count, cause unknown. Thanks for your feedback. I am activated POA and just want her to be safe ..I am hoping she will be happier in AL, where some of her friends have also moved, and where she will have more activities and social contact. Its just so hard to watch her decline.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
"rapid escalation of confusion, with hallucinations and depression"

The rapid escalation part does sound like delerium, but only time will tell if it reduces.

Falls can be caused by so many factors, inc low while cells, poor balance or TIA/Stroke. My LO suffered many falls, TIAs dx I believe. Thinking skills did decline slowly but steadily after each one.

I've also seen 'emotional lability' after stroke.

Another LO was physically impaired after a stroke but mentally ok. Yet 3 weeks later, high anxiety & OCD behaviour. Not found if depression due to circumstances, further stroke or vascular dementia.

It sounds like the move to AL will be good. No matter what dx, the extra company, structure & supervision will offer a more supportive environment.

I am so glad you have a pathway now! As good as you can 😊
(1)

Thank you..that is what I am suspecting with my mom too... Helps to know what to expect in the time ahead. I noticed such a huge difference in her writing ..from very legible and well formed to a barely legible in less than a weeks time. So I suspect something mini stroke wise happened too. It is sad to see, but not unexpected at 92 and I am relieved that she will have supervision now in the familiar place she has lived for 6 years...and am so thankful for all the " angels " and all those professionals who have helped me along the way. I only wish I had reached out sooner ....
(1)

My mom went from being pretty much fine cognitively to confusion rather suddenly too, initially she recovered somewhat but never to where she had been previously. In hindsight it was likely a series of micro cerebral events leading to vascular dementia, which is characterized by declines and plateaus.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter