Follow

Thursday night and all day yesterday my wife was having a rough time as I posted elsewhere on here. She went to bed last night at 11 pm and slept until 11:30 this morning. All day today she has been her “usual” self. Although I panicked first and calmed down later (as she tells me I always do) now I believe it was the storms we were having that were messing with her.

Her psych doctor talked with me today and reassured me that she’s ok with her meds.

I made an appointment for next Tuesday with her PCP/Geriatric doctor for blood work, etc.

God is great and life is good!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
We saw LO’s PCP/Geriatrician yesterday. All is well. He did say, without me mentioning anything, weather and barometric pressure changes can affect her. With dementia the effects may be stronger than for some of us. He wants her to go for blood work for electrolyte check. The lab was closed when we left the office.

I call this doctor a PCP/Geriatrician because the only geriatric doctor within miles is not taking new patients. His office highly recommended this doctor. They also said although he is a pcp, he visits elderly patients in nursing homes and is familiar with providing for their care.

We are very comfortable with this doctor.
(1)

MJ1929, I am so sorry for your loss. I feel, as you do in your last paragraph, she waited for the rain. Not just any rain but a thunderstorm. She was finally at peace.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
(1)

My mother was the daughter of a farmer, and although she married and moved away from the farm life, she still followed the weather religiously and was always looking for the next rain. Her family's farming is the Southern California desert, so rain was a rare blessing and the crops were irrigated rather than dependent on the weather. Nonetheless, I truly believe that Mom's endless search for rain affected her life and her death.

We haven't had any appreciable rain in Southern California since January. Mom was in her nursing home with Covid at that time, and my brother and I went to see her, thinking she might not survive the illness. We had to stand outside her window in the rain, and she was sitting up in bed and perkier than we'd seen her in months. I fully attribute it to the fact that she knew it was raining.

Fast forward to late July, and Mom was finally declining. (Covid was barely a blip on her radar as it turned out.) My brother and I went to see her daily that last weekend, and every day we'd find her in much the same condition she was in the day before -- hanging on by a thread, but not quite gone either.

In the early morning hours of July 26, we had an unexpected thunderstorm hit this area, and while it was raining my mom died. The farmer's daughter waited for the rain one last time, and I fully believe that she'd have hung on even longer had it not rained. It was just too coincidental for me to think the weather had nothing to do with it.
(2)

Good news!

Thanks for the update! :-)
(1)

Glad to hear this! 😊
(1)

Yes HE is.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter