Follow

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/former-first-lady-rosalynn-carter-has-dementia/ar-AA1bTJoJ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a25bb7315bf04e85b1a2cdce8cf5b906&ei=8

Last week, while Mr. Carter was in hospice, a grandson, Jason Carter, told The Associated Press that the former president and Mrs. Carter were spending time with family and “doing it in the best possible way: the two of them together at home.”

“They’ve been together 70-plus years,” Jason Carter told The A.P. “They also know that they’re not in charge. Their faith is really grounding in this moment. In that way, it’s as good as it can be.”

Mrs. Carter once said that her interest in mental health began during her husband’s 1970 campaign for governor of Georgia. As she traveled the state, she said, she was amazed at the number of people who told her of mental health problems in their families.

“I began to realize that something had to be done,” she said in 1976, “and that we were the ones that had to do it.”

An ex potus and his wife have resources tho that middle income Americans do not…

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
What a shame. I have a feeling that when the first one of them goes, the other will go immediately after. They're joined at the hip.

I thought that would have been the case when my dad died before my mom, but with her dementia she forgot him within two months. I still think that had she not had dementia, she'd have followed him quickly.
(3)

Peggy,

It certainly would be nice if more people would follow the Carter’s example of helping others in need.
(2)

Joann, I’m sure they went public as an public example, and I’m glad it is working out for them, but their example doesn’t translate to most Americans.
(1)

The Carters have been active in humanitarian efforts throughout their lives.

They have been married nearly 77 years. They share a very special bond with each other and have cared deeply for others.

I wish each of them well. I’m certain they are appreciated by many, many people. They were generous with their time and dedication to so many causes.
(2)

The Carters were very active improving care for the elderly . I read that Jimmy Carter’s work decades ago is the reason we have hospice available. The article stated that is why he wanted it known in public that he was going on hospice without waiting until death to disclose it. He wants people to know hospice is available before death is imminent . My guess is that Roslyn and or the family want people to feel like they can relate, with others going through the same challenges .
(2)

My thought is why the need to make it public. Why does family feel the need. To me its a private thing.
(0)

According to another article…

The family noted in its statement that Rosalynn Carter has spent her long public life advocating for individuals and families affected by mental illness and for those in caregiving relationships with loved ones.

"Mrs. Carter often noted that there are only four kinds of people in this world: those who have been caregivers; those who are currently caregivers, those who will be caregivers, and those who will need caregivers," the family statement reads. "We are experiencing the joy and the challenges of this journey."
(0)

So tired of all these demented elders living to almost 100 years old.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter